Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

My fave is the Mac SE30

http://www.uberreview.com/2006/02/mac-mini...in-mac-se30.htm

It's been done with a Pink iMac G3 but cant find the link

Be even easier to do with a TFT screen than a CRT.

Start with this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-G3-Imac-Fully-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Easily build a 15" TFT into that ! :)

Edited by nfbr

My fave is the Mac SE30

http://www.uberreview.com/2006/02/mac-mini...in-mac-se30.htm

It's been done with a Pink iMac G3 but cant find the link

Be even easier to do with a TFT screen than a CRT.

Start with this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-G3-Imac-Fully-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Easily build a 15" TFT into that ! :)

That is pretty awesome and exactly what I want to do, but with a 17" LCD screen (the eMac pictured above was 17" CRT) Plenty of room inside for a Mac Mini then. Perfect!!

Edited by bjblyth

e-macs are ugly and inbetweeny... a bit like mk3 golf of the iMac world...

Ahhh but when built with a lovely LCD screen and the interface of Snow Leopard, sat in my apartment looking ugly, and like an old, dated concept of a spaceship - it will have a strange beautiful attraction to it. Once I have purchased my eMac for a shell, I shall start a dedicated blog site to document the progress.

My aim is to have it with simply one plug - for the mains.

Aside from that, everything will be inside the shell, with Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse. Should be interesting. Anyone know how easy it would be to create small amounts of revenue from ads on a dedicated blog site? I'm going to wh*re it around the net for some exposure... :rolleyes: so any extra income from ads would be cool.

It arrived yet ?

All I can say is be VERY VERY careful when removing the CRT section of the monitor as it WILL ATTEMPT TO KILL YOU...

been there, done that, got the shock, etc...

Edited by nfbr

I'm picking it up over the weekend. I know about the CRT, apparently it has to be discharged before removal? I'm going to ask my electrician friend to pop by I think - he can then dispose of it for me too! Once that's out the way, I'm on the hunt for a decent, good value 17" LCD TFT and the project can begin...

I'm picking it up over the weekend. I know about the CRT, apparently it has to be discharged before removal? I'm going to ask my electrician friend to pop by I think - he can then dispose of it for me too! Once that's out the way, I'm on the hunt for a decent, good value 17" LCD TFT and the project can begin...

Just don't discharge it on yourself :rolleyes:

I'm still tweaking the hackintosh (although I have started loading work software onto it) but I'm somewhat pleased with these geekbench results:

Macbook: 2591 (2ghz core2duo; 4gb; Leopard)

Hackintosh: 6275!!! (2.83ghz core2quad; 8gb Snow Leopard (in 32bit)).

I'm a happy bunny! I thought it felt snappier!

I was told the 2ghz core2duo Macbooks were only capeable of 2gb + 1gb of ram and that it wouldn't work with 2gb + 2gb in there? :(

My MacBook is the 2.0Ghz and it's happily accepted 4gb of RAM. It does allocate 256mb of the RAM to the graphics engine, but still leaves 3.75gb and most of the time I'm using my computer there is 2gb of RAM free, but it does recognise it all.

That's 2gb + 2gb btw.

Been discussed before

http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

Macs with a 3.3GB limit will accept 4 GB of RAM, however 700 MB will not be available to the OS due to hardware limitations. The advantage of this is that two matched 2GB RAM SODIMMs will work in dual channel symmetric mode if this is available, whereas a 2GB and 1GB SODIMM will not.

My MacBook is the 2.0Ghz and it's happily accepted 4gb of RAM. It does allocate 256mb of the RAM to the graphics engine, but still leaves 3.75gb and most of the time I'm using my computer there is 2gb of RAM free, but it does recognise it all.

That's 2gb + 2gb btw.

Same here. Just bought the 4gb kit from Crucial and stuck it in - no problems.

A further thought in the Hackintosh:

I'm right now about to start sticking the paid for (again, in some cases) software on it with some considerable trepidation.

It seems so "fragile." Case in point: went to install LittleSnitch so I could stop a dodgy copy of CS3 phoning home. And the littlesnitch driver caused a kernel panic on next boot. Luckily, I've learnt how to fix most of this without issue, but it's just not something you would encounter with a "real" mac.

Still, lots of talk on the interweb this weekend about a new and cheaper bottom end macbook coming along with new imacs. Still no further details on the tablet, which is what I'm saving my pennies for...

A few words out about the next iMac's using Quad core processors!

I'm contemplating going for the 17" Macbook pro now, However I think I'm going to wait to see what comes out between now and new year before I make a definite decision.

Edited by nfbr

Well, to update on my Apple kit. I was taking my 2007 MacBook Pro to the Applestore to have the Superdrive checked out in late August and I dropped my case with the MBP in it.

Result was one totally borked screen, although the machine itself was mountable over the network and via firewire target disk mode, so everything was intact on the HD. The case was pretty badly based too.

Insurance company replaced it two weeks ago with a fresh new unibody MacBook Pro. I'm very impressed, the new case, keyboard, screen and trackpad are all vastly improved over my old one, which I was very happy with already. I never liked the keyboard though and always wished it had the MacBook style one, and of course since the update last year it has!

This ones not vastly faster, my old one was a 2.4 and this is 2.53, but it does have double the RAM at 4GB.