Drivers side Xenon seems too high....?

Evening,

Right can any techy bod on here explain this to me and what I should do.....

Thursday I got 3 bags of gravel (10kg each ish....) in the boot of my car. Drove home with it. Yesterday evening (Friday) i woz driving home from work in the dark with me lights on and got the odd flash from people. This morning (Saturday) whilst driving to work in the dark I woz getting flashed a lot, and have also had the same problem on the way home. I think the drivers side Xenon has set itself too high for some reason, I can only assume it is due to the extra load in the boot and me on the drivers side? I have tried an old trick a friend did with his Toyota, that being to jump up and down on the boot to try and reset it back to a lower level. Would it be easier to use the little ajdustment screw thingy on the top of the light?

Any help please, I can't drive to and from work tomorrow with one hand on the lights to flash people back, it's getting really irratating!

Right, have just been out for a fiddle and a drive.....

Have turned the allen key adjuster thingy, it has lowered the drivers headlight down, but the light seems to be stuck on full beam. When you drive along the dipped beam looks like this:

...................................\___________________________________

Pass. side...................................................................Drivers side

.....which is normal, so I dont think the leveling is out at all. It just seems that the drivers side is permanantly on full beam. You can see it pointing at the road when the dipped is on, and also when main is on. Can still see well with the dipped and main beams, I just hope dropping it will stop me blinding everyone and me getting flashed.

Failing that I'll just drive round one handed giving everyone the bird.

I am thinking something wrong with the mechanism for dipping the lights? Or maybe its the bulb, that may sound stupid but I really dont know. Anyone any ideas??????

:confused::angry::confused::angry:

Edited by renandstimpey

You will needed it plug in to a diagnostic mechine to adjust the beam on a xenon light as the motor needs disengaging before it will adjust correctly.

As you put a load in the boot and the lights on they should corrected the beam to the right level this may not have happen if the boot if still full.

Or as you said the high beam shutter on the xenon lens may not have closed if you have used it on a separate ocation. :rolleyes:

You don't want to turn those adjusters n the top much. They are for fine adjustment only. Turn them to much and itll feck everything up. VAGCOM is used to adjust them properly.

Get it plugged in and adjusted. Just sounds like they adjusted up when you had weight in the back (although 30kg isn't much really) and its got stuck

You don't want to turn those adjusters n the top much. They are for fine adjustment only. Turn them to much and itll feck everything up. VAGCOM is used to adjust them properly.

Get it plugged in and adjusted. Just sounds like they adjusted up when you had weight in the back (although 30kg isn't much really) and its got stuck

Yeah. I'm still not convinced its the adjustment now having had a play (and my word the lights can REALLY be moved up and down on mine!) it seems more like whatever shuts off the full beam and turns it into dipped beam (a shutter? I dont really know how it works to be honest, is that the right thing?) isn't woking anymore. When you click from high to low, you can hear it clicking in the pass. light, which then gets dipped, whilst it seems as though the drivers side one just isn't working?

Gonna be stuffed to get it looked at until Monday evening/Tuesday day off work. Hope my manual adjustement works for now.......

Right, been to Midland Vw today, they hooked it up to vagcom and "computer says no!" there is no faults with the headlamp. They can only suggest that it is a bulb problem, which makes sense as there isn't really anything else it could be if the headlamp is fine!

Two things then:

How much for a bulb, preferbly NOT from the stealers, as they are extortionate, and.....

How the feck do you change the bulb?

Of course it would have to be the drivers side where there is no room for a streak of piss, let alone a human hand. And I got a fecking stone chip on the way home.

:angry:

I thought the main beam was done with the little lamps. The Xenon light was just for dipped beam?? :confused:

There should be a level switch for xenon lights, usually located on the rear axle, It might be worth checking to see if the Lupo has one and if it is working order.

Nope, we have Bi-Xenons. :shades:

The little ones are sidelights and standard halogen beams. If you have your headlights turned off and flash your lights, just the little ones flash, if your lights are on, you get the Xenons flashing.

I had the shutter fail in one of mine once - it acted as though it adjusted properly if you put weight on the boot etc, but the light itself didn't change. I think it was stuck on dipped, but some light went over the top of the shutter which was a pain for oncoming traffic. Putting the light on to full beam didn't change anything.

VW replaced the entire unit under warranty.

Nope, we have Bi-Xenons. :shades:

The little ones are sidelights and standard halogen beams. If you have your headlights turned off and flash your lights, just the little ones flash, if your lights are on, you get the Xenons flashing.

You learn something new every day, the Lupo keeps on impressing me. :shades:

I have a similar problem mate, when I flash someone (be it they are fit and blonde or whether I am just being polite in traffic) my drivers side headlight seems to stick on main beam, I can turn it off again by flashing again but sometimes it takes more than one flash to clear it which can be annoying for oncoming traffic i'd imagine!

Seems to me that most of the people who have the same problem as me have had it caused by a dodgy headlamp unit. However when hooked up to vagcom it said there was no problem? I am assuming that it would pick it up if it was a headlight fault......?

Especially as I have just shelled out for a new bulb (£40 from xenonmaster, NOT Vw!)

:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Right I thought I'd resurrect this thread as my headlight seems to have corrected itself of its own accord! I noticed on the way to work at half seven this morning that the dipped drivers beam was now "cut off" along the top, meaning that the deliberatley slow dipping mechanism (in a Dr Evil voiceover) is fnctional again. Whilst i'm a bit annoyed at paying for a new bulb when it seems to be ok, I'm glad I didn't shell out for a new headlight!

And at least i've got a spare bulb.

• 1 year later...

Wow.. This is bump of the year

It is worked by a little actuator... I guess this can stick open or shut. If you remove the cover off the light(with it removed from the car), you will see it, and how it works.

Reset it... Whats yours doing?

Edited by 99hjhm

Ok i have taken the bulb out to see how the shutter works

It just not closing fully (so light escaping at the top off the shutter)

i used a pencil to move it back to where it should be

and it closed the gap at the top.

But when i used main beam it got stuck again

What can be used to grease the shutter (someone recommended using a pencil agaist the hinge)

the graphit from the pencil would grease it.

any ideas

please

• Like 1

Well done for doing that, it's useful information. Never heard of pencil graphite being used as grease though!

If I were you I'd be looking around for a spare/scrap unit, I know they're hard to find, but you don't need the bulb or ballast so it shouldn't cost too much (and if you get one with bulb and ballast from scrap then you'll have spares which as I've found can be very useful).

on your rear beam there is a load sensor which detects how much the rear end has dropped, this adjust's your lights pitch to compensate so i'd check to see that it hasnt got stuck before you go faffig about with the dial.

otherwise take it to an mot station and get them to adjust it on their light calibrator.