1.0 turbo?

chie

has anyone ever though about turboing a 1.0?

yea yea i know whats the point as itll top out at like 115mph or something, but i was just thinking itll be fun for b roads and such, i know theres a fair few small displacement jap turboed stuff out there i suppose theres two trains of thought about this one itll be a bit of fun to do it fair enough itll not be silly fast or win any dyno shootouts, and i know theres a good few motor conversions you can do aswell for big power for the other view

whats peoples thoughts on this? and has anyone done it?

Edited by chie

you would need to uprate the internals so they didnt blow then convert it to be ran on a turbo . done right it could be brilliant cause motorbike engines are smaller displacement , lower the compression and allow it to rev harder . the down side would be the gearing on the AUC box is , lets be honest naff at best so you would need to re-gear it

has anyone ever though about turboing a 1.0?

yea yea i know whats the point as itll top out at like 115mph or something, but i was just thinking itll be fun for b roads and such, i know theres a fair few small displacement jap turboed stuff out there i suppose theres two trains of thought about this one itll be a bit of fun to do it fair enough itll not be silly fast or win any dyno shootouts, and i know theres a good few motor conversions you can do aswell for big power for the other view

whats peoples thoughts on this? and has anyone done it?

pointless the power you will get will be only about 100 to 130 max i would think and it would be unrelible so might as well buy a sport or fit a gti engine

It is possible to fit a low boost kit into your 1.0L without uprating any internal engine components but don't expect a massive gain from it.

My brother a few years back fitted a van aaken turbo kit (the kit was for a fiat cinq) to his Punto 1.2 60s with standard engine internals. I believe it was knocking around 100bhp, 10/10 for being different but in the end of the day, it would have been more cost effective to just buy a Punto GT.

dont get me wrong i wasnt expecting to whack a t28 on it and expect 400bhp, i was thinking low boost (up to 6psi max?) , stock block, probably head gasket spacer, i wasnt even looking at 100bhp, just more then 50 lol 75 would do tbh

did he run a remap and what sort of boost was he running do you know? no problems with detonation?

would a 1.4 gearbox bolt on? taller ratios etc? cheers

the punto gt's are fun, bloosy hard to work on as theres a lot pushed into the bay, 4 of my mates have them and all changed things, trust me they do push some power but they are always going wrong. i think a 1.0 turbo would be cool just to be different but the power output and the money you would spend and then along with the time would not pay off imo.

also on the insurance front i know its only a 1.0 but a turbo on it iam sure that will jack the cost up on top too.

what about a 1.4 16v and then turbo that? or even just the standed engine, like said should be pushing about same power?

he doesnt need to worry about insurance costs. Lots of NCB and hes 25 in april. hahaha :P. Just stick with it richie, the japs run 1.0 turbo motors (fair enough most come with semi-forged internals) but they run higher boost. And since your doing most of the work yourself costs arent too bad imo.

cheers, mixed views there, but each to there own as they say,

just thought it would be a change from the normal engine swaps

go away from the norm then and drop a 1.9 tdi in :shades: :shades:

Go wash you mouth out!

1.0 turbo would be a right laugh.

Go for it, when it breaks, get a bigger engine and transfere the bits over.

for the cash its just dont add up to do it twice

thats what i wanted to hear lol its gotta go bang sometime :P dont fancy the ass on of fitting a tdi tho

was i mistaken when someone told me a mk2 gti golf motor would fit? i know vr6`s have been done so there surely must be the space in the bay?

It is possible to fit a low boost kit into your 1.0L without uprating any internal engine components but don't expect a massive gain from it.

My brother a few years back fitted a van aaken turbo kit (the kit was for a fiat cinq) to his Punto 1.2 60s with standard engine internals. I believe it was knocking around 100bhp, 10/10 for being different but in the end of the day, it would have been more cost effective to just buy a Punto GT.

I had a van aaken low boost cinquecento before the loop.

suprisingly fun, i had uprated pistons and thats all. ran for years, and i think its still going... broke it before i sold it.

Edited by CasperGTI

if you're not bothered about blowing the engine, get a compressor, run it at a low speed, plug it into a cigarette lighter thing and then put the pipe directly on the throttle body.

plonk the thing on the passenger seat and when you want boost, just flick it.

I really want a car to do this with.

i people that rally with old 0.9 diahatsu (not sure on spelling) turbos, great for sprinting and round corners, so much response

both of these max out at 65 but they pull like mad!

crazy guys

if you're not bothered about blowing the engine, get a compressor, run it at a low speed, plug it into a cigarette lighter thing and then put the pipe directly on the throttle body.

plonk the thing on the passenger seat and when you want boost, just flick it.

I really want a car to do this with.

yea will work a treat or even an inverter and a hair drier then run it through an intercooler to cool it then into my throttle body... might even get one of those +25bhp resistors and really **** up my engine with some serous power eh

im not a noob you know lol

Edited by chie

• 2 months later...
yea will work a treat or even an inverter and a hair drier then run it through an intercooler to cool it then into my throttle body... might even get one of those +25bhp resistors and really **** up my engine with some serous power eh

im not a noob you know lol

i have my 1.0 lupo doin a mint 107 mph with out a turbo but a fink it would be a r8 laf with turbo lol

107? does the gearing even allow that? I've been in chie's a number of times and i don't think it would get to 107 :o. Or it would take about 20 minutes, down a hill, with the wind :)

107 in a 1.0 is easy... you just ain't trying hard enough :P:lol: