A-levels

Amber

Hey guys

this is totally off topic but just wondered if there's anyone out there who can give me some wise words :(

I started a-levels back in september after doing better than I thought I would at gcse, but now i'm thinking of jacking it in.

I'm really not enjoying it, and to be honest am totally fed up of the way we're treated and the work we get.

We're expected to do 7 hours of work per subject per week minimum (I'm doing 3 subjects), which can be done, but only if you really don't want a life.

Another thing is that we were told we would be getting a lot more freedom and responsibility for our own learning, which hasn't happened at all. We're still treated like we're 5 and are supervised throughout our 'free' periods by a teacher, making sure that we don't talk or distract anyone else.

The fact that I did gcses over 4 years and not 3 also has kind of sucked it out of me, and i'm losing motivation. I know school might sound like a luxury compared to the big bad world, but i'd rather just go to work if i'm honest.

I've had a part time job for over a year now and have spoken to them. They're willing to take me on full time if I want. I have also looked at college courses to start in september '08, and work are also fine with this - saying I can work full time from january to september if I need to. For this I know I am really lucky, and I love working. I worked full time over the summer and really did love it - no homework or school stress !

In some ways I am just being lazy and should just get on with it, but I've realised the only reason I'm staying is for my friends. There are a couple of teachers that I get on really well with too, but at the end of the day I'll do what I can to stay in touch with these people.

If I work it means I can start paying dad back for the lupo and get some experience under my belt.

(If you've read this far you deserve a medal)

So I guess what I'm asking is: has anyone dropped a-levels before ? did you regret it ?

or

any comments welcome

really don't know what to do.

:confused:

after four months of doing A-levels I was thrown out for some weed related toilet smoking incident.

I was barred for three years.

the time out was ace. made money and enjoyed life and then went back.

there's always time.

after four months of doing A-levels I was thrown out for some weed related toilet smoking incident.

I was barred for three years.

the time out was ace. made money and enjoyed life and then went back.

there's always time.

:lol:

maybe I should do something like that and make an exit no one will forget

yeah the money making does sway me, but I just really don't want to leave my friends :(

I HATED college with a passion but I just thought that 2 years was a VERY small percentage of my life (hopefully) so I gritted my teeth, did my 5(not a geek by the way!) non-stupid (i.e maths, physics etc.) A-levels and got on with it. I'm at Uni now and loving it and am SO glad that I didn't drop out of college now. 2 years is nothing really and as for having a life, well I was still managing to train around 16 hours a week in my AS year and go out too, so I'm sure you can manage it if you try.

NOCK

Im did my A levels, got the results and am not using them in anyway in my current employment.

I decided not to go to Uni as after years of education yet more mental learning didn't appeal to me. Also Im very pessemistic when it comes to life after uni.

Im much more work related.

Id stick it out, and atleast you will have the qualifications even if like me you dont put them to use.

Edited by Picola

yeah

thanks guys :)

I know the qualifications would be good to have

on the other hand I know people who don't have a gcse to their name and are earning more than someone with a b-tec.

its just really confusing and a really hard decision

I did 5 A-Levels and did a relevant degree at uni I can get a job with, I've got 2 final interviews coming up, and both jobs are very well paid, good hours and good prospects.

I had to work hard at A-level and at my degree, but I still had fun, and the way I look at it, if I wasn't in education, i'd be working 40 hours a week anyway. Its all up to personal preference, personally id only do A-levels and a degree to get better job prospects though, and that means not taking soft options in both A-level and degree.

5 alevels ?

blimey

I started out with english, art, graphics and communication studies but dropped graphics because I couldn't keep up with it all

which kind of makes me think i'd be no good at doing a degree

:huh:

I did 4 AS levels plus the general studies and key skills gumph. Went down to 3 A2's. Got OK results went to uni. 4 and a bit years later I've got a degree. Went for 2 job interviews got the second. The work is in my field but the pay is still under 20k which is annoying but the company is growing at an alarming rate and offering great training prospects. Plus the employers are really nice people. Going to have the longest Christmas holidays I've had since leaving school and I can't wait

I did 4 AS levels plus the general studies and key skills gumph. Went down to 3 A2's. Got OK results went to uni. 4 and a bit years later I've got a degree. Went for 2 job interviews got the second. The work is in my field but the pay is still under 20k which is annoying but the company is growing at an alarming rate and offering great training prospects. Plus the employers are really nice people. Going to have the longest Christmas holidays I've had since leaving school and I can't wait

that sounds good

I just know that the only reason i'm staying is for the people and I really doubt I'm gonna have decent as results because I'm just not motivated enough :neutral:

5 alevels ?

blimey

I started out with english, art, graphics and communication studies but dropped graphics because I couldn't keep up with it all

which kind of makes me think i'd be no good at doing a degree

:huh:

I didn't have a part-time job though till I got to uni! So I used that extra time to do work. Only had a part time job for the first two years of uni. The last two years unis been pretty full time.

This was my lot:

AS Levels: Economics

A-Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and General Studies.

lovely jubbly, think i'll add to the fact despite this i'm not a geek, im just alright at learning mathsy stuff quickly! lol.

I didn't have a part-time job though till I got to uni! So I used that extra time to do work. Only had a part time job for the first two years of uni. The last two years unis been pretty full time.

This was my lot:

AS Levels: Economics

A-Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and General Studies.

lovely jubbly, think i'll add to the fact despite this i'm not a geek, im just alright at learning mathsy stuff quickly! lol.

yeah im pants at that

lol

I tend to take more to art and stuff, which is really time consuming.

Stick it out til the Spring at least I reckon - I nearly dropped out of Uni during the winter term in my 2nd year, went back after Christmas and was a lot happier.

You've not really had time to properly settle into it yet, so give it a bit longer.

I did 4 A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Psychology & Business Studies) then went on to Uni and did a Maths & Stats joint honours degree.

Can't say I particularly enjoyed my A levels, but they were the route to Uni and I knew I wanted to go to Uni. Can't say I particularly enjoyed my 2nd & 3rd years at Uni either, but the first year made it worth while. :)

I'm still studying now - for professional qualifications though!

I did my AS levels and dropped out. I hated college so bad, just couldn't adjust to it after being in school. I started out with 4 subjects Accounts, History, Maths and Fine Art. I dropped art after Xmas cos I couldn't be bothered with it and hated the lecturers. Somehow I managed an A in accounts, a B in history and a C in maths. Worked my ass off for it though!

At the time, I had no idea what sort of job I wanted, but I ended up getting an apprenticeship with the company I work for now. Some parts have been a struggle but after 6 years I'm earning tidy money for my age in the area, if not better than most of my friends who did go to uni and get their degrees. In the long run it may turn out differently but for now its good. I also get 6 weeks leave a year, a good pension & other benefits.

I also picked up a HNC course part time whilst I've been in my current job at a local uni and graduated in 2005, so if you did want to get higher qualifications at some point there isn't anything to stop you from doing that. I also got more financial help doing it part time than my friends who went full time.

Just be aware that in future job interviews you will probably get asked as to why you dropped out, so get thinking of good answers!

If you were to go full time in your current place, what sort of career progression and training do they offer? Thats definately something you should think about before jacking the A levels in.

Part of me regrets not going to uni, part of me doesn't. But whatever you decide to do, everything happens for a reason so try not to stress too much!

Good luck with making the choice, you'll know if its right to go or not!

thanks guys

reading both of those actually really helped.

My job is in sculpture casting (www.lssculpturecasting.com)

so its along the routes of art and stuff, which is probably what i'd like to do as a career - if I do a b-tec it will be in art.

there arent really any levels in the business - i'm fully trained now but there isnt any kind of hierarchy, but then again I don't intend on staying there for the rest of my life. If I leave school I will start a b-tec in september '08.

I've heard that b-tecs dont look as good to uni as a-levels do which is understandable, but the course im looking at is 2 years full time and the equivalent to 3 a-levels so it would be similar - just hopefully with a bit more freedom and i'd just be focusing on one subject.

I think at the end of the day, you dont need A levels to take up the proffession you want and do the things you want to achive.

When you find out what it is you want to do, there will ALWAYS be a way to achive it. There will be some other specific qualification to gain.

I really diddnt try at school i prefered to have fun than do work, i got D's at GCSE. But now i know i want to be a financial advisor, and i can still do that even with poor GCSE grades.

There are people out there with Degrees that are hopeless in the real world, so take time to develope as a person and find out what you like doing.

Dont forget. Grades alone WONT get you a job, they can only help.

yeah

I was pretty pleased with my gcse's and because of this new system our school bought in I have more than most people my age

I know in the long run they arent much compared to a-levels but at the same time I think surely it would be good for people to see I've had some experience of work before ?

then I can do a b-tec afterwards

:confused:

so hard to decide. lol.

I'd give anything to be 5 again.

I think it's better to take time and figure out what you want from life, then get the qualifications you need which are focused towards the carreer of your choice.

Believe me, you will win in interview (even with poor grades) over someone with lots of good grades, if you can demonstrate how you are the perfect candidate for the role.

Grades can only proove you have the ability to learn information, but you need to show the common sense of how to apply your skills in real life situations.

I think it's better to take time and figure out what you want from life, then get the qualifications you need which are focused towards the carreer of your choice.

Believe me, you will win in interview (even with poor grades) over someone with lots of good grades, if you can demonstrate how you are the perfect candidate for the role.

Grades can only proove you have the ability to learn information, but you need to show the common sense of how to apply your skills in real life situations.

yeah

lol

this has really helped

its like having loads and loads of surrigate parents.

:lol:

Well i wouldnt tell you to jack in your A levels, because whats right for one individual may not be for someone else. Thats your trip no one elses.

Selling yourself is key, and if you cant do that then no amount of grades will be a substitute.

so you're not willing to tell her to give up her A levels, but you are willing to push her into prostitution? :lol:

Edited by Adam K

so you're not willing to tell her to give up her A levels, but you are willing to push her into prostitution? :lol:

A levels in that context are something completely different (apparently) lol

If you can't be bothered to spend 21 hours a week on A levels you'll get a shock when you start working and doing 40-50hrs a week like the rest of us. Best advice is to make the most of your education now, much harder to go back and do it again later.

Stick at it! Most people I speak to who left school early and are not in their ideal job say they wished they had stuck it out at school and got better grades. I was lucky enough to get 5 good highers in 5th year that were more than enough to get ino the uni course I wanted to do. So I left at 16 (almost 17) and worked for a year. I knew I didn't want to go to uni at 17 - felt I was too young, needed a bit of a break from education, and didn't fancy getting refused in the union either!

I was supposed to save during my year of work, but I didn't actually have much to show for it in the end. But it got me out in the big, bad world - I learned communication skills (with colleagues and customers), got general life/work experience (even though it wasn't particularly relevant to my chosen degree/future work route). I passed my driving test and generally had time out from studying and strcit deadlines.

I started my degree after my year out and felt that I had definately done the right thing. I got a bit fed up towards the end of my 3rd year and questioned going back to do my honours year. But in the end decided it was only a year of my life, and I would rather regret doing it, than regret not doing it and not having the chance to go back.

I was lucky to do a 'sandwich' course, which meant I worked for 6 months during my 2nd and 3rd years. On completion of my course I got a full time job with the compnay I did my placements with, and am now in a well paid job which I enjoy.

Maybe not entirely relevant to your situation, but my advice would be to hang on in there and try your best. Not every situation in life is pleasant or easy, but if its a stepping stone to where you want to get then you might as well give it your best shot.