Does This Sound Right?

lupogtiboy

my lupo needs a new windscreeen, as i have a large crack in it (no jokes please!) thats been there since coming back from ed38! decided to go through my insurance and pay the £60 excess, and have Autoglass come and fit it whilst i am at work. Guy turns up, drags a screen out, so i ask him if its for a lupo gti. he says that there is only one screen listed for a lupo, and this is it!

so i explain to him that gti screens are heat insulated and slightly thinner than a standard lupo screen, something that i told the guy on the phone when i booked it in to be done. he goes away, leaving me a number of his office to call to see what they can do.

phone the main hq, explain to them what just happened, and that i need a vehicle specific screen, to which he ensures me that he has emailed the regional office, telling them this fact, and promising me a phone call within the hour. Guess what? no call! so i call them, to which i'm told they will call me back the next day.

wait til around 4pm for a call, and nothing. so i call the regional office again, spoke to a guy, told him the situation and that the car needed a vw-ordered screen to go in. he then tells me that i'll have to pay an additional £50-£60 on-top of the £60 excess for them to do this!

i don't think its very fair that i have to pay more because my windscreen is different to a standard lupo screen. my other worry is that there is only one screen left in the uk!

has anyone else had anything like this, and should i really have to cough-up more money to have the right part fitted to my car?

just spoken to my insurance company, who just had a go at autoglass, explaining that i only have to pay the £60 and NOTHING more!

agreed with comments above, you only pay for your excess - the 60 quid. Any other difference in cost is met by the insurance company, thankfully. I've had to replace both the lupo and the pug windscreens in the past couple of months

One thing you do have to be careful of is that some insurance policies will only cover up to a certain limit on glass (only shown in the small print), bearing in mind heated rear glass for a lupo will cost 2 to 3 times the cost of the front screen it's definately worth checking on your certificate :)

my front screen was £95 green tint with top band, rear glass was £115

Was that through the insurance or dealership!?

I need a new screen, but want one with a top band too

Just to make you laugh, one of the most expensive bits of glass I ever fitted was a rear hatch glass for a Volvo 740 estate.......

Just shy of £800!

We also saw an orignal Alfa Spider get written off because the windscreen would have cost more to make than the car was worth..... Around £7000!

Utter crazyness :lol:

RAC were really really good with mine, they spent ages searching around for someone with the right screen. I helped fit mine when i had mine replaced and i checked them both over and they were identical. When i phoned Autoglass they were a nightmare unwilling to help i would never use them, apparently RAC are in the process of taking all the insurance work from Autoglass anyway as they've gained contracts from the main insurers.

Autoglass Northampton are pretty good. Got a smashed screen 1/2hr away from E38 they met me at the site & replaced it without any hassle even though they were meant to be shutting down for the night shift at that point (Night shift will only replace glass to secure a vehicle, they wont do screens), so I cant really complain about them. Although saying that Im not sure if that was more to do with me being an ex-employee or the fact that their main base & distribution is up the road :lol:

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

His insurance might not deal with RAC, and might have a very low payout if he goes with an unapproved company.

The insurance company i was with at the time had Autoglass as their paired company, with them mentioned in all the paper work and the help line numbers quoted. I rang RAC to check if they were able to work with my insurance company and they said yes and that they dealt with them all the time. So despite what it may say on your paperwork, it's worth checking.

Edited by db

well, the ball is in their court now to contact me, tho i'm not expecting a call to soon given their past track-record.

the reason autoglass are involved is because on the bottom of my insurance certificate, there is a number for the approved glass company, which unfortunately turned out to be autoglass. i'd rather not deal with them anymore, but we'll see what happens next!

The insurance company i was with at the time had Autoglass as their paired company, with them mentioned in all the paper work and the help line numbers quoted. I rang RAC to check if they were able to work with my insurance company and they said yes and that they dealt with them all the time. So despite what it may say on your paperwork, it's worth checking.

It's definately worth checking, especially when you can get better service elswhere. I just thought i ought to say what i said because im with Tesco and they say i must deal with Autoglass or Auto Windscreens. If i deal with any other company their maximum payment will be £125 per claim after deducting the £75 excess.