Disaster!

Gibbeth!

Went through a Morrisons automatic carwash, after being lasy and not wanting to properly wash the car.

You know whats coming...

23072007026.jpg

23072007025.jpg

So, the question is, does anyone have any idea if

A ) the brake light in the spoiler (MS Designs) will fit the hole now in my boot; and

B ) how I can clean all the gunky silicon mess thats left

(( and if the brake light cant be removed, which it at first glance looks like, a VW part for the High Level Brake Light!))

Thanks folks!

Ouch.

I'm guessing it was an aftermarket spoiler as the GTI isn't available in that colour... in which case the light from it should fit straight in there, and the light should be a std VW part.

As for the gunk, that's going to take a loooong time. My best suggestion is to pick as much off by hand as possible, and use something like bug & tar remover for the rest. You might find it's easier when it's warmed up too.

eeeek :blink:

I'd try and get the spoiler put back on - do you still have it in one piece or is it swilling around in the carwash ? :lol:

id leave spoiler off now, use a hairdryer to warm the gunk up so can remove it easier... get a brake light from vw to fit hole. use a clay bar if really struggling as that should shift the residue which is left.

id leave spoiler off now, use a hairdryer to warm the gunk up so can remove it easier... get a brake light from vw to fit hole. use a clay bar if really struggling as that should shift the residue which is left.

i donrt think clay bar would get that off tbh maybe tar remover or something chemical

?????

You'd have to remove all the gunk to refit the spoiler properly anyway so either way get the elbow grease out! If it was me I'd leave it off, weld the hole where the break light should be, smooth and paint ;).

And i wouldn't touch automatic carwashes as far as I could throw one.

I had exactly the same problem with my spoiler when some chav scum tried to knick it.

The gunk you see is more than likely going to be Tiger seal or Sikaflex, & this stuff is an absolute ******* to get off even when its heated. The tricky thing here is to heat the adhesive enough to make it peel off but without burning or bubbling the surrounding paint, the other down side is that this the adhesive will have semi-eaten into the paintwork which leave marks, although being a solid colour paint you may be able to flat the worst bits out with wet & dry & machine polish it up.

Using a hairdryer or similair type of heat producer and an old Credit card or (Cataloy -Filler) Plastic Spreader.

Heat will melt glue/resin and plastic card will scrape it off but don't push too much with the card, could scratch paintwork and for more severe glue get a de-greaser, from Halfords or any other motor factor, and clean cloths, this should return the tailgate back to its original state. Even buff up with T-Cut to give it a smooth finish

I used white spirit to clean up my spoiler but the paintwork went white so t-cut to the rescue again! :rolleyes:

Dek

Cheers folks!

Ive been trying to get the light out of the spoiler but its stuck/glued in I think, the red covers unclipped at one end, but the 6 bulbs and holder seemed fixed in the back of the spoiler!

As people have said, I'm going to leave the spoiler off I think, for one I didn't put it on and didn't like it, and another the paint was manky, and I'm glad its off now!

Ill give what max has said a go, for now, but it'll be going in the body shop for a bit of smoothing I think!

• 5 weeks later...

That is not so good.

Dont use turtle wax bug/tar remover- its turd.

Car washes have been a no go area for me, Im too scared of the interior becoming a paddleing pool aswell as getting caught on the tracks