Panda 100HP...

AndyW

As I think I posted back in the original thread about this car, we actually went to look at one of these back in May sometime, at our nearest Fiat dealer, Arnold Clark in Stourbridge.

They were pretty ropey, I had my first car from there (my Cinquecento Sporting) and my Punto before the Lupo and obviously the people I dealt with back then (who were fine) are now long gone. They were pushy, had very little clue about the car (had the usual sharp intake of breath followed by "hmmm, don't sell many of those!") and lacked any sort of customer service or professionalism. In short, I wouldn't buy a tin of beans from them, let alone a car.

It was only this last week or so that I finally convinced Sarah to think about going and having another look at a better dealer, and I went for a recce last Wednesday on my day off to TJ Vickers in Shrewsbury. Had a bit of a chat and although they hadn't got one there at the moment, they were due to collect a p/x from another branch in Telford and I went along for a quick test drive there as it was on my way home anyway.

n604796674_293825_7402.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

As you can see it was in a pretty smart navy blue and really looked the part. I know its childish, but I like the slight rip off of the Mk5 Golf GTI's black bumper detailing on the nose, the wheels suit the car and despite being a five door I think it has a really nice stance, the same posture that I like about the Lupo GTI is present on this Panda (IMHO).

Of course, this dealer was in Telford, so the test drive was boringly practical, just dual carriageways and some spirited pottering, but it did show a few things. Firstly the ride was average, not nearly as bad as Clarkson made out in his Times review, but still by far the worst part of the car. On the positive side it was clear it likes to be thrashed, its got that eager Lupo GTI feeling, and the same fun at modest speeds character.

The interior is purely function driven, but its honest I guess, it clearly doesn't feel expensive and I'd say behind something like Swift Sport or even a C2 VTS. But build wise it would beat the Citroen, its clearly well put together and having owned a Mk2 Punto its a pretty big leap forward. Building them in Poland clearly is a wise choice!

So while lacking much visual appeal, ergonomically its bang on, I'm a sucker for that Civic Type-R style gear stick location, and the wheel feels nice and chunky and chuckable. Another downside, the driving position is really lofty, makes the Lupo feel like an Elise. That said, it is comfortable and on the longer test drive I failed to notice after time.

So I came away feeling slightly underwhelmed I suppose, but the character had charmed me. So I arranged to come back on Sunday for a longer test drive with Sarah. We did, and they chucked us the keys and off we went in the same car, but all cleaned up.

Getting in, many of those interior criticisms disappeared really, its one of those cars that you feel instantly comfortable driving, perhaps this is because of its vague similarity to the Lupo, perhaps not. Either way, its city car DNA is clear, you jump in, press and go, can't really fault that. This time we were up at the dealer in Shrewsbury, so it gave me the chance to really get some proper driving in.

This car, perhaps even more that the Lupo GTI, begs to be chucked down a twisty backroad, it just laps it up. Its 25bhp down, but I found myself not caring very much, it really is a hoot. The ride, which I was pretty worried would become worse on averagely surfaced B-roads, was fine, or perhaps I just got used to it, I'm not sure. The gear change is not as crisp as the GTI's, nor is changing as fun, despite that CTR placement I found myself fluffing changes but again that could be a habit thing.

The engine is a cracker though, its rorty, its got real character and it revs very sweetly. This example had 4k on the clock and it felt great, its got that Italian charm for sure, and I think it was about this point I'd decided WE wanted one. n604796674_299788_1065.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

n604796674_299781_167.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good review - it makes a change to read one from the perspective of actually paying money for one rather than just having a go. I also like the 'Location x3' second visit. It's too easy to get emotional about a car on first sight.

Hope you enjoy it.

I kept passing a 'grey' one on a garage forecourt when we were in the Lakes in June.

Nice looking car, sound like it goes well too.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ray

nice Andy, grey is the colour that suits it best smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Agree it has a slightly chunky stance that is similar to the lupo gti.

Dealers weren't offering great discounts when i looked at the Panda, plenty of car supermarket/brokers offering them for under 9 grand (e.g. http://www.perrys.co.uk/fiat-panda-100-1.4...dition/new/8117) though the dealer i spoke to couldn't come close without selling for a loss and not much use if you need a trade in.

Parents are on their second new panda, no problems at all and unusually no squeaks or rattles. Lack of discounting should be good for residuals though the free insurance offers might mean there are a few year old ones for sale all at once.

Yeah, saw that Perry's offer in the back of Top Gear, I was very surprised we got as close to that price as we did, all down to Sarah I might add. If you knock off the airbags, the price of the car with met paint was around the 8950 mark, very close to that Perry's deal of 8700 or so.

As always, depends how much they want the deal and clearly they really wanted our business, can't say fairer than that. The chaps name is Nigel at TJ Vickers, should anyone want to deal with a decent, professional Fiat dealer. That in itself is rare!

sounds like a decent deal Andy, I’m a big fan of the panda 100 which is certainly a good base to build the 500 on, seems like it could handle more power quite easily and slightly wider track would help it grip even harder. There was a 125bhp version of the panda rumoured, maybe it will get the turbo motor after the 500 abarth.

There was a 125bhp version of the panda rumoured, maybe it will get the turbo motor after the 500 abarth.

Grip is pretty damn good, and I'm convinced the 500 is going to be a corker (as if there was ever any doubt with those looks). We were going to wait for it, but I think the Abarth is the one to have.

nice and safe my mate still drove it home after this written off though unfortunately

Thats the chap off the Fiat Forums isn't it, yeah, saw those pics and it held up well.

wicked, wicked cars. i'd have one over a lupo gti now

I'm waiting for the Panda 100HP V New M3 test, and given the Panda love EVO has been giving these last 7 months I suspect it might be an interesting read.

evo have a swift now too though, panda won't have it all its own way any more biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

evo have a swift now too though, panda won't have it all its own way any more

Yeah, and they seem to prefer the ride but not the build quality. Looks good in silver too.

I quite like the look of Pandas as is. The bright childs play colours and all that. Seen one of those 100bhp ones and I tried to get it to give it some beans to see how they perform but the guy wasn't having any. Probably had about 2 miles on the clock, lol.

I tried to get my woman to get one of these (I wanted it really), but she did not like the interior either. I drive past a grey one every night and it looks great. Wished I had bullied her in to getting one now smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. I was very surprised when I got a lift in a 1.2 it was very nippy and quite nimble, would love a go in a 100hp. Sounds like Sarah wont be driving it much.

good old tj vickers. know a few guys who work there.

lovely day wasnt it

Bloody awful, but not a bad day to test a car actually, roads were filthy and damp and gave it a proper work out.

Great dealer, can't praise them enough so far and we'll use them for services too.

Sounds like Sarah wont be driving it much.

Oh I don't know, shes pretty excited you see, her first new car, the last one only cost £600! So I'm not sure I'm going to see that much of it.

Its difficult waiting for a new car!

You get your Polo in Sept too?

The new M3 will destroy the Panda, it's not a giant killer by any stretch of the imagination!

My original comment was ever so slightly tongue in cheek. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />