Tuned 1.4tdi v's std 1.6 16v. Which's quicker?

hope

Well my point of view is a standard sport will beat a lightly tunned tdi. Mine certainly was far faster than paul's which had exhaust system and remap and lowered, mine was totaly standard and was always far quicker around country road blasts, id loose him at times.

Will it beat a GTI, i think above answered that.

I realy hate TDI's, got a 170bhp 2.0 TDI passat and its car performance wise, my sport would ahve wipped its ass on anything bar a dual carriage way and motorway., maybe its my driving style confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

From my personal experience with cars of similar performance to a lupo gti (aka 106 GTI) the old traffic light race the GTI will win hands down, as i find the 1.4 TDI lump has too much lag and loses out on the gear changes.

In gear however i reckon the GTI might just nip ahead, but will be a close one

On a track, it'll be the GTI as Derv's just don't have the rev's to see it through, plus a GTI will have more power and revs ultimately.

From my personal experience with cars of similar performance to a lupo gti (aka 106 GTI) the old traffic light race the GTI will win hands down, as i find the 1.4 TDI lump has too much lag and loses out on the gear changes.

In gear however i reckon the GTI might just nip ahead, but will be a close one

On a track, it'll be the GTI as Derv's just don't have the rev's to see it through, plus a GTI will have more power and revs ultimately.

Gti vs standard tdi

From personal experience, Doesn't take long atall before you can't see them in your mirror on fast roads.

that's all.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this from the dead..........

The TDI would easy win............. the MPG race :D :D :D

Did anyone ever go on a track day? I'd be up for one when I get my exhaust fitted.

Here's one for you all. If you don't say that i'll win then you are all wrong! and then i'm taking my ball home!!!!!!

Me, Arosa TDI 96bhp and 190lbft. Super clean car that the CD factor is 0.01 :D

Friend (Adam), 106 GTI. Fully stripped and got just under 150bhp......

Friend (Joel), 106 Rallie 1.6 16v, throttle bodies, ph3's cams and standalone management Fully stripped out and caged up.

Friend (Justin), 106 Rallie with 1.6 GTI engine and aftermarket management. Fully stripped out and caged up.

We're on about going for a good drive. There are lots of 60 roads round here. Woodhead and Snake pass are very close to where I live.

Who's do you think will be the fastest. Oh and i'll fold my rear seats down to help with aerodynamics and lowers the cars centre of gravity ;):D

Edited by Steve TDI

I didnt buy a derv to try and ego off race it, i bought it to get me places as cheap as possible whilst still looking like a cool kid.

This topic died a death for a reason...

TDI and GTI are two completely different card, with completely different ways of driving.

Off the mark a standard GTI will toast even the best mapped TDI, but on the motorway - 40-70mph the TDI will eat it alive.

I took my lupo TDI round the nurbergring in 10:50, I've got no idea what time a GTI would do it in though.

This topic died a death for a reason...

TDI and GTI are two completely different card, with completely different ways of driving.

Off the mark a standard GTI will toast even the best mapped TDI, but on the motorway - 40-70mph the TDI will eat it alive.

I took my lupo TDI round the nurbergring in 10:50, I've got no idea what time a GTI would do it in though.

For comparison i did under 10 in my gti. but then driveforward is doing closer to 9 in a 1.4 arosa sport!

For comparison i did under 10 in my gti. but then driveforward is doing closer to 9 in a 1.4 arosa sport!

he's done more miles around the ring than the moon has done around the earth.

interesting concept this would be interesting to find out but like it's allready been said its like comparing chalk and cheese.

I can only speak from experience of taking my GTi on trackdays so i cant vouch for the tdi, but i would imagine the GTi would come out tops by a noticable difference due to the long stroke engine and the variable valve timining giving it a much better usable rev range. its also worth noting that on track you will spend 90% at or near full revs......where the GTi makes its power and the diesel doesnt.

and without pointing out a track its impossible to make a comparison anyway, somewhere like castle combe the tdy might have a chance of winning, at somewhere like knockhill it wouldtn stand a chance.