Definition of a Trashed Car...

Petes 16V Sport

I was thinking the other day... what makes a car thrashed?

Is it always driving it hard?

Or is it not giving it the proper maintainance it requires? and not letting it warm up before you drive it hard?

Personally, I never drive over 3000rpm until the oil is fully warmed through, but after that I may occasionally blast the engine (overtaking for example - only way to get enough overtaking power out of a sport lol)

I have my car fully serviced and use the best quality fully-synthetic oil, and use all OEM parts. I wash the car weekly, and remove salt from the underbody. Tyres are the best available for the size of wheel used etc etc...

Therefore I don't consider my car thrashed, but I do use all of the rev range when needed.

Opinions?

Pete

Yea I know what you mean but I guess if the car was built to go to 7000rpm then I guess it should be ok. I always feel bad tho when I go for a drive and take it to the limits dunno why lol.

I think poor thing I bet the lady who had it before me only used to pot around town in it and now it gets a good run in. lol smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A thrashed car is one driven with no mechanical sympathy, imho.

On that basis you could argue that many cars (pretty much all superminis, ihmo) are trashed - simply because their owners don't appreciate (or care to know) how the car actually works and, therefore, which driving styles are appropriate under which conditions.

How many people in your street do you see starting their car up, backing off the drive and then trashing it away up the street on full power on a stone cold engine?

Deek.

Agreed ^^^

I'd say its one thats driven hard, almost all the time - without being looked after, warmed up, regularly serviced etc smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Perfect example - my housemate with his well thrashed Punto. I hear him go out, start it up, rev the engine up high, and peel off with a bit of a wheel spin. And I cringe, head out to my car, start him up, sit there while I put harnesses on, attach radio front, generally faff about and then pull away nice and gently down the road

Edited by lunalupi

thrashed - anything driven by a woman, anythign only driven in town, anything driven by a boy racer should cover it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

engine ware is pretty much exponential to revs (why it takes so much extra design, money, weight saving, materials etc. to raise the rev limit on race engines.) so th emore revs userd the more wear the engine is liekly to experience especially the more standard engines that aren't designed for more high rev use v-tech hondas etc.

Ideally you want to buy a second hand car from someone who drives to work 5 days a week for 10-20 miles or so a day so the car is always warmed up every journey, used regularly but not huge milage.

How many people in your street do you see starting their car up, backing off the drive and then trashing it away up the street on full power on a stone cold engine?
Agreed ^^^

I'd say its one thats driven hard, almost all the time - without being looked after, warmed up, regularly serviced etc smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Perfect example - my housemate with his well thrashed Punto. I hear him go out, start it up, rev the engine up high, and peel off with a bit of a wheel spin. And I cringe, head out to my car, start him up, sit there while I put harnesses on, attach radio front, generally faff about and then pull away nice and gently down the road

How odd.. my best mate also drives a punto and does exactly the same lol!

Yeah really hate it when I see that, usually leaving a cloud of blue smoke behind them, with the cold oil burning... nice!

Something which was more alarming, is when I saw how the vw technicans at my local dealer treat the cars, plenty of revs and wheelspin at the back of my local garage sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Suppose at least usually they have been warmed up by the owners beforehand though!

my boss is 6 ft 7 and drives an x5, but when he drives his wifes corsa he cant lift the clutch right the way up! after a few weeks of him drivin it id say that its a thrashed motor!

cars are designed to go to 7000 rpm, but not stay there!

all cars will be thrashed before u get them, have you seen the car jockeys driving at the docks? jeeezzus!

all cars will be thrashed before u get them, have you seen the car jockeys driving at the docks? jeeezzus!

yeh, i know a couple lads who do this. seen a few phone vids of the more 'exotic' cars. why would they give a **** about warming up the cars before ragging them about.

unfortunately its the same story whenever your car is taken to a garage. (not speaking for ALL garages here, just the majority)

but really, stop being such a pussy about it. at the end of the day its metal- pretty hard stuff if you ask me. imo it can take a thrashing.

and cars are designed to be driven by fanatics and old people alike. manufacturers take this into account before putting it into production. a car like the Lupo or any normal car is designed to be started in the morning then driven to work.

really its high end cars like porka's, Ferrari's and the like which you need to let warm up properly, they wernt designed for old people who hold their foot half on the clutch, or boy racers who wheelspin about in the snow first thing in the morning.

just my opinion, but i dont think any car would last its warranty period if they were as delicate as you're making them out to be

but really, stop being such a pussy about it. at the end of the day its metal- pretty hard stuff if you ask me. imo it can take a thrashing.

Have you seen how easily aluminium gets scratched? Considering a large amount of your engine is aluminium, you'll realise that they aren't really that bulletproof. Now I know most loaded parts are steel, but again....metal to metal contact = bye bye bearing surfaces!

Have you seen how easily aluminium gets scratched? Considering a large amount of your engine is aluminium, you'll realise that they aren't really that bulletproof. Now I know most loaded parts are steel, but again....metal to metal contact = bye bye bearing surfaces!

yeh, i know its not hard to damage components. but theres no need to treat your car like a rare vase, they can still take a fair bit of abuse.

all im saying is that you dont really need to let your lupo warm up before driving it like you would need to let say, a track tuned caterham warm up.

I try not to go above 2000rpm until mine is warmed up, and never above 3000. Though I know plenty of people who aren't bothered about letting engines warm up, and I can't say they have had any problems caused as a direct result of it.

Ideally you want to buy a second hand car from someone who drives to work 5 days a week for 10-20 miles or so a day so the car is always warmed up every journey, used regularly but not huge milage.

Thats exactly what I do! Weekends are slightly different though rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

I agree with the above, i drive mine quickish but only when warm and i woulnt class it as thrashed. Its well looked after and serviced every 8K.

I never rev mine when its cold, and some mornings it takes up to 11 miles 7 of them on motorway) to get up to running temp ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I try not to go above 2000rpm until mine is warmed up, and never above 3000. Though I know plenty of people who aren't bothered about letting engines warm up, and I can't say they have had any problems caused as a direct result of it.

Thats exactly what I do! Weekends are slightly different though rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

The problem with reving a cold engine is that the oil is cold and therefore not as runny (for the want of a better word!) so it doesnt get right round the engine. It might not do any dmage in months or even a year but eventually it will start to sound like a bag of hammers.

Chris

Heyup

Ive found smaller engines usually need more warming up and anything with a turbo.

But all engines IMO could do with atleast 1 min warming up if nothing,

You can quite easily turn engine on and then put your seatbelt/cd on.

Taz

Never has chance to clear out all the crap that builds up inside a modern engine... gets coked up etc.

Cars have a rev limiter for a reason - Ok maybe not for some dipstick to go revving all the way upto it, But an engine should at least have its legs stretched every once in a while!

Never has chance to clear out all the crap that builds up inside a modern engine... gets coked up etc.

Cars have a rev limiter for a reason - Ok maybe not for some dipstick to go revving all the way upto it, But an engine should at least have its legs stretched every once in a while!

Yes i agree about that, but i know for a fact he ment never over 3K when cold smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

Yes i agree about that, but i know for a fact he ment never over 3K when cold smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

Read what Jon put again... And if you don't see it, Read it again til' you do... lol

It's amazing just how many people do thrash the tits of their cars when they're stone cold. My mate does it and it always makes me wince. His X reg Puma sounds exactly like the bag of hammers referred to previously.

It's amazing just how many people do thrash the tits of their cars when they're stone cold. My mate does it and it always makes me wince. His X reg Puma sounds exactly like the bag of hammers referred to previously.

I rev my van to 4200revs every morning smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> no matter what the temperature, So far i've gone through Three bottom Pulleys as a direct or indirect result...

Read what Jon put again... And if you don't see it, Read it again til' you do... lol

No he ment he tries to stay below 2K but always below 3K when cold. Ive been in it at 5K rmp with Jon, so its not that he ment never goes over 3K smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yeah, i think the thing is most people dont really know the damage that can be caused so its not like they are doing it on purpose. But if they do know its not good for the engine then surely they would stop, or you would think they would.

Chris

I never rev mine when its cold, and some mornings it takes up to 11 miles 7 of them on motorway) to get up to running temp ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

The problem with reving a cold engine is that the oil is cold and therefore not as runny (for the want of a better word!) so it doesnt get right round the engine. It might not do any dmage in months or even a year but eventually it will start to sound like a bag of hammers.

Good point, come to think of it their engines do sound like a bag of spanners.

I think the work you are looking for is 'less viscous'.

@nfbr Chris is right, I meant when the engine is cold.

Edited by jon_273

not to go above 2000rpm until mine is warmed up, and never above 3000.

Just the comma between up then and, makes it seem like a different statement, for some reason i saw it as "I try not to go above 2000rpm until warmed up. I never go above 3000"

Glad thats cleared up, i was slightly worried about you jon smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

@NFBR

Aaaaaaargh ! noooo onot the capitals !

Edited by nfbr

Just the comma between up then and, makes it seem like a different statement, for some reason i saw it as "I try not to go above 2000rpm until warmed up. I never go above 3000"

Glad thats cleared up, i was slightly worried about you jon smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Aaaaaaargh ! noooo onot the capitals !

Ah I see, lol no need to worry:

Weekends are slightly different though rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> .

@nfbr - post edited, sorry