do you care about the future?

Adam K

me personally, i have no kids, i don't want kids, and i don't like kids.

i like thrashing round in my nasty polluting car, and i don't really care about recycling.

i will be dead before the world implodes on itself.

selfish probably, but what incentive do people with no ties have? why should i want to give up driving a nice quick car in exchange for a slow 'green' car, and who gives a feck about carbon footprints?

errrr, not sure what the idea of this thread is, maybe just a bit of healthy debate.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have financial incentives.

just because it costs me £70+ per week in petrol doesn't mean i'd give up the car for a cheaper one to run. i think the only time i would give it up would be if i couldn't physically afford it.

just because it costs me £70+ per week in petrol doesn't mean i'd give up the car for a cheaper one to run. i think the only time i would give it up would be if i couldn't physically afford it.

It's still an incentive - expect it to get greater as time goes by.

the less people with kids the less people to pay the taxes that will pay your pensions etc.

i pay my own pension thank you very much and i have private healthcare.

for all i care the nhs can crumble under it's own inadequacy.

Edited by Adam K

Bully for you.

I think this thread is a little daft...

i was just really wondering if i am in the minority for not really giving a **** about the earth, i keep hearing carbon footprint this, recycle that, it just bores the hell out of me.

i pay my own pension thank you very much and i have private healthcare.

for all i care the nhs can crumble under it's own inadequacy.

+1

Screw all the poor people, give them all aids!

Business does much more environemental damage than joe public

But Joe public is easier to fleece

As we can see

And anyway all this environmental guff is just an excuse to get earners to pay more in taxes to allow wasters to sit at home and do sod all, and to allow President Blair to carry on pretending he's some kind of player on the world stage

The Govt is in big business' pocket.

Edited by twisty b-road

even if you are that selfish - you'll still be paying extra tax out of your pension/earnings/savings to pay for their nhs/state pensions etc. I do resent paying twice for my health and pensions though it's not like you can opt out & you might want a ambulance or something at some stage

I beleive people blow things all out of proportion, and jump on the "green" bandwagon.

I want kids sometime. I'd like them to still be able to enjoy the world, but I want to enjoy my time now. I recycle cans and that sort of thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and the world would be a boring place if we all agreed. I also respect the fact that I'm not going to change anyones opinion...

but...

I personally think that we should do all we can to protect the environment. It's very easy to get caught up in our own worlds and think very little about what goes on around us. I think it's partly a product of my upbringing (my Dad is a Biology lecturer and we've watched nature programmes on the telly for years) but I really think that the Earth and everything on it is incredibly precious and we shouldn't abuse the position we have on it.

First of all....yes....by using your car less etc etc YOU individually won't make a difference. But if everyone starts to do things differently it does make a difference. I'm not suggesting that the current increase in temperatures is entirely down to carbon emissions as in my honest opinion we're not really in any position to say exactly what's causing it. We have weather records going back only a hundred years or so which is the blink of an eye. It's perfectly reasonable that the temperatures would indeed have risen anyway without the additional CO2 as the worlds environment passes though constant cycles of warm and cold.

I have to say this kind of argument seems to be typical of Britain. You see it a lot in industry that British companies refuse to change and hate doing things differently. Meanwhile, Japanese companies are away improving and developing all the time and hence getting one over on everyone else. The British companies get stuck in a rut and when the Japanese bring out all these fantastic new products that cost 2p to buy it's no wonder the industry here goes bust. Britain is full of people who only care about the short term and you can stick your head in the sand all you like but the rest of the world will just change around you. The reality is that you may well be very affected by global warming in YOUR lifetime. As scary as it is, when oil supplies start to run out expect the worst if there isn't already a viable alternative. We may well see war of a global scale as the superpowers try and get control of the last reserves and economies will collapse.

The longer we go on without changing, the bigger the change that will need to be made in the future. Is it really that hard to try and buy food that wasn't grown in Brazil and flown over here. I'm sure it wouldn't kill you not to have Strawberries on New Years Eve?! Would it also really kill people to walk a bit more? Why use the car to do a 5 min journey when you could walk it in 20mins? I live in Birmingham and rarely use my car when I have it here because there are perfectly good public transport links. It doesn't mean I'll give up my car or never use it, but I don't expect that from anyone, but is it really that much of a problem not to use your car ALL the time? Development work is aiming to eliminate the reliance on oil, and in time it will be possible to produce cars with zero emmissions. There is no way cars will dissapear! Trust me!

Anyway. As I said...I don't expect anyone to change their views but I do think it's a real shame that we will be ruining what is an amazingly unique and beautiful place. IMO the meaning of life is to continue the human race as long as possible.

depending on your terms of reference regards "the future" the thing that bothers me the most is, I will not be around to see it.

Cure for cancer? light speed travel? joe 90 (matrix) style education

Some of the advances in technology in the recent past, has been remarkable. But where next.

Jayson feeling philosophical at the moment

Meh, sounds again like the politicians thinking they are all important and stuff.

Today the Government will publish the most important report on the future which I have received since becoming Prime Minister.

Articles starting like that from a serial liar are never going to get my attention.

Carbon trading, pish! These punks are so arrogant as to think they can create a second economy running alongside the one we have just now, but wait - they will have control over this market, unlike the economy where they have the bank of england to deal with, do you want that?

Anyhoo, guess what guys, we pay proportionatley to the carbon our cars emit allready, it's called fuel tax, and fuel consumption, it is as expensive as average joe can cope with RIGHT NOW.

It's all about makeing the poor folk rich off the 'evil' middle/high classes (you'd probably be included in this spectrum), we'd need to go to the estate and buy our 'carbon points' off sarah-anne-louise-beckham while she gets pissy with us for making her miss ''hardest chavs' on sky three. Closet communists.

We have weather records going back only a hundred years or so which is the blink of an eye.
I'm not suggesting that the current increase in temperatures is entirely down to carbon emissions as in my honest opinion we're not really in any position to say exactly what's causing it.

I agree. In fact your post really covers how I feel on the issue, I agree with the moderate green types that putting as few unnatural elements into our environment is important, I don't want to breath it in either!

I don't think making me walk for 1.5 hours to the train, to stand in a cramped cabin and get to uni late anyway will help the issue, but I think I could live without strawberries at christmas ( laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) or higher air fares to stop me going to the other side of europe on a jolly notion rather than just once a year.

But overall I DO think major shifts in society are EXTREMLY rash, especially with respect to the point you make in the above quote, hindering mans progress will make the issue of emmisions (not warming, I don't believe in it) worse, not better.

I am happy with the way things are just now anyway, every step the govt takes with this policy is met with fierce opposition from most folk when they hear how they will be affected, so it probably won't happen anyways....... cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

What is anyones incentive to live at all?

Adam dont you live with your parents?

yep, while i'm at uni, although i had my own place before i moved back when i left the police, so i don't really see how this has any relevance? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Well if they thought like you, you wouldnt be here for starters and you certainly wouldnt be living with them...

we kind of all have a duty to look after the future so other people can exist beyond us and have a life worth living - well thats my opinion...

Edited by tdwindustries