What tyres?

Ty

It's that question again ladies and gents, about to change the loops tyres from the dunflops to the Toyo Proxes T1-R's am I doing the right thing? I know the dunflops are poor, but are the proxes the best tyre for her?

ive got yokos a539 they are the best tyres ive had

I have just got Yokohamas A539's for my standard 14" wheels on my TDi and i would recommend them. It was between them and toyos and the tyre fitter said the yokos are the best (atleast in the 14" size) so i went with the yokos.

i'm running Fedral 595SS now there spot on in the dry , a bloomin' nightmare in the wet , understear central

I would say the best tyres for all round drivability on wet and dry roads for the 185/55/R14 size are the conti premiumcontacts. I have some on my 1.0 arosa and ive tried them on my TDi and i carnt fault them.

So far ive tried:

- Dunlops = really poor and even worse in the wet

- Firestones = not too bad and better than the dunlops but are quite noisy and dont offer that much grip during wet cornering, but are hard wearing and seem to last quite a while.

- Continental premiumcontacts = The best ive had on my arosas, really good in all conditions, very quiet.

- Kumho Ecsta = very good tyres, grip very well in most conditions and they also look quite good, but they tramlined really badly on my car.

- Yokohamas A539 = very good tyres, grip very well in the dry but arnt as good as the contis in the wet, but they are quiet and seem to have a very stiff sidewall for hard cornerig and seem very good in straight line acceleration and hard braking in the wet.

Chris

hi my loop gti is in tomorrow for MOT. I NO I NEEDS NEW FRONTS arranges with the mot guys to get some

suitable tyres . there saying they cant find any. ITS RUNNIG AT THE MO 205/45r15 .they are the originals .

any ideas guys they want to fit smaller tyres i suspect smaller in width. help any ideas. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

tramlining is where the car follows a path wear the road surface is uneven levels and the car goes in a different direction form where your steering. quite unsettling. this happens mostly when you have wider than standard wheels/tyres on the car.

whats tramlining mate?
tramlining is where the car follows a path wear the road surface is uneven levels and the car goes in a different direction form where your steering. quite unsettling. this happens mostly when you have wider than standard wheels/tyres on the car.

What he said, basically if you drive over w hite line or a ridge in the road the car wants to follow the path of the line.

I think my kumhos did this because the previous owner ran them at high pressure as they were worn more in the middle of the tyre, so when running them at 30PSI they tramlined.

Chris

thanks Chris for the info on the right size rubbers .going to look for some 205\45r15

the guy at the mot station wanted to sell me 4o ff tyres as he said it would not run with the big uns on the back. unfortunately i had to let er in doors take the car there as i am to busy working.

so havr to ring around tomorrow cheers johnnyb

• 3 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

found these on e bay [any good] 195 on the front & 205 on the rear .will i need to change the lot

cheers johnny . blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I love this thread. Lots of confusing info laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . Everyone chipping in thier 2 peneth about toaly the wrong size of tyre.

blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

We all know that the 205's only come in Toyo and Dunlop fittment.

All i want to know, is are the Toyos a good tyre. Now i find the Dunlop pretty good, and have had bad experience of Toyos in the past. But the problem remians that Dunlop currently do not have 205's in stock in the UK.

Edited by Viney