Claying car (opinions please)

I bought myself a Meguirs clay bar and Quick detailer a couple of months ago (I forgot all about it and just found it in a cupboard). I was just wondering, is it worth using now, and then giving it a good polish/wax as protection for the winter months? Or am I best just to wait until next year and do it as prep for the spring/summer? Any opinions/comments/advice is welcomed - I am a bit of a car cleaning amateur! Thanks in advance.

I don't really know! I just wondered whether it was worth doing now when the roads are going to be mucky all the time (but get rid of any build up that is already there, not add to it and make it worse), or whether just to wait and get the car all fresh and shiny looking good for next spring summer. As I say, I really don't have much of a clue about claying etc, never done it before.

Do it now, then get a nice layer or two of wax on to keep the salt off the paint. That's what I did anyway. Will tackle the horrendess swirl marks that came courtesy of the last owner in the Spring.

Deek.

Edited by dxg

I want to clay my car as well, but im thinking of leaving it to spring time.

Do it now, then get a nice layer or two of wax on to keep the salt off the paint. That's what I did anyway. Will tackle the horrendess swirl marks that came courtesy of the last owner in the Spring.

Deek.

What kind of wax do people recommend?

I also have swirl marks on my car, what do you recommend to get rid of them?

Chris

I want to clay my car as well, but im thinking of leaving it to spring time.

What kind of wax do people recommend?

I also have swirl marks on my car, what do you recommend to get rid of them?

Chris

Blackfire.

Have a look on this website.

Sells the best gear & gives top advice.

I use Gloss Enhancer then Protection

makes car very shiny too biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Blackfire.

Have a look on this website.

Sells the best gear & gives top advice.

I use Gloss Enhancer then Protection

makes car very shiny too biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks for that, ill take a look smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

If you have a garage, I would say do it now, then get a good few coats of polish and wax on to protect it over the winter. I used the meguiars three stage paint cleaner, polish then carnuba wax. Came out very nice indeed.

Would agree with John, I would get a couple of coats of polish on to tide you over winter, then clay the car in the spring, ready for the summer shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

as soon as the gritters hit the road dont wax. wax is a sealent and thus traps the microscopic salt particts, these are very very corrosive to paint, just buy a good car shampoo and wash and leather the car, then in spring, use the clay bar, then a polish and fianlly a good wax.

jake

Personally i'd leave the claying till about feb time now when the weather starts to get warmer, if you try and clay the car now you'll notice,as john said, that the clay will be really firm and difficult to work with. That, however, isn't the only problem, if you do clay your car it has to be followed by waxing and when it's colder like it is now, even in the day time, it's quite difficult to wax on and off, as the paintwork remains fairly damp. The best thing to do is start in feb and and build up your wax through the summer ready for the winter. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

totally agree with luke. plus with the weather being so tempermental the last thing you want is to clay your car and then not be able to seal the paint work.

clay and wax beginning of next year ready for the summer smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />