Slippery Toyo T1Rs???

I've done nearly 12,000 miles on mine and there is noticable wear on the front left, but drivers side still has loads of grip. Generally the Toyo's are great in the wet, apart from this morning when i got quite a bit of wheelspin in 3rd gear coming off a slip road.

bridgestone potenzas are my weapon of choice smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My Toyo T1S on my summer wheels are superb in the wet

My Toyo T1R on my winter wheels are ***** in the wet...

ass sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

T1R's are great for heavy cars with 100000000bhp and 1lb/ft torque (i.e. honda)

However with heavy torque figures on a lightweight car - they are SHeet!

but then again - they were designed for high performance SALOON cars... not lightweight hatches

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Such irony hey? rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I've had my Toyo T1-Rs 195/45/15 for a couple of weeks now. Found at first under light breaking in the wet they were a bit twitchy, but now they have scrubbed a bit and I think they are great. Not got much to compare to but yesterday when it was chuckin it down I went for a spin up some B roads up to Buxton through the Goyt Valley... Now if anyone knows this road from Whaley to Buxton (probably a less scary version of the cat n fiddle) the corners have rather large drops off the side! I was going quick but not overly pushing it because I don't know the limits of the tyres yet, but I thought they were faultless. Traction when over-taking was excellent and was getting no understeer through the corners. Overall, quite fun!!

Edited by lupodave

Would be wise to check tyre pressures, too high will make any tyre step out on bumps. Not had a problem with mine in the wet,

Why would you want to push it hard in the rain?? More chance of losing it anyway, Its like trying to get your knee down on a bike when its pouring down. Anyone like to try it on road tyres?? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

, Its like trying to get your knee down on a bike when its pouring down. Anyone like to try it on road tyres?? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

oh know wonder i keep crashing, cheers for the advice laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

my toyo's have been pretty good, cant really fault the grip.

when i got the car on 15k (they looked newish) the last owner said they transformed the car

now on 25k and they need replacing soon

best tyres in wet i've had are mitchelin exalto's, they were awesom and i got over 20k on them before i replaced them

worst were pirelle p6000's

Compared to the original dunlops the toyo's are a big step forward.

I find them in the dry to resist understear very well. Really enjoyed driving this summer with the increased traction.

Covered over 6000 miles in four week this summer on these tyre driving to Malta.

However this was in my fathers ST220 which is a much larger car.

I find the toyos in the wet, on the lupo to be no better than the dunlops previously fitted.

They are a lot more prone to lift of overstear and wheelspin.

You can drop down to 195/45/r15 no problem, this opens up a large selection of tyres at around the same cost.

All soft compound tyres will wear faster than normal, also the way you drive will effect this.

Kind Regards Angelo

Au contraire - it's a very good thing to know the limits of the car you're driving. There are usually circumstances in which it's safe to test limits, not always on a public road.

Exactly, they're new and I was only seeing how good they were! It would be me that backed down, not the car. So mabe I didn't chose the safest road to test on lol but I know the road well. But at least now I know they're not going to fail me.

Also remember. Extra low cars with rock hard damping are gonna be crap in the wet anyway, cos the low profile tyres have to do the job of absorbing the bumps. This makes the car slip 'cos the tyres will be boucing on the surface. 40 profile tyres will have a less give in the sidewall than standard too. Cars need to bet set different wet condition.

Dont just blame the tyres. It may be thae fact that your dampers are set at max. And you have no suspension travel.