Picture of the day

ArosaMike

thanks putney. It's actaully my Fiance's engagement ring. I had it made from scratch for her.

I used on camera flash (sb-900) with high speed sync and diffused the light using a shoot thruogh reflector.

there are a couple of other shots of it on my flickR.

Matt.

3199692449_0d34fc40c5.jpg

Edited by Muska

• 2 weeks later...
thanks putney. It's actaully my Fiance's engagement ring. I had it made from scratch for her.

I used on camera flash (sb-900) with high speed sync and diffused the light using a shoot thruogh reflector.

there are a couple of other shots of it on my flickR.

Matt.

3199692449_0d34fc40c5.jpg

I have been on your flicker... You have some nice images... I have no idea what you said about using the flash.... Are you saying you used the camera's own pop up flash with a reflector diffuser? IF so thats an amazing result... I have a speed light 580 mark II I might try somethign similar tomorrow...

Putney, i used the Nikon speedlight sb-900, i had it on the camera and angled up 45degrees and was using the built in bounce card also to get a nice even dispersion of light. I had the reflector/diffuser held infront of the flash head and as it's a 2stop diffuser i had the flash set +2ev to compensate.

Hope that explanation is a little better than my last! i flicked through your holiday photos the other day, they are fantastic.

Matt.

Ok that makes a lot more sense now... What diffuser do you have?

Here's a ring I had made up for my wife...

absring.jpg

She currently has 3 engagement rings, a diamond solitaire, a tanzanite and diamond and she is having a diamond and garnet ring made up at the moment which will take it up to 4! the pink saff being her favourite.... We have a jeweller as a close family friend… when ever we bump into him we always leave with something!

I am amazed the lighting is so good on your shot... It really looks like it was done in a studio! What lens were you using?

I have the 100mm macro lense so will try your method with that i think!

Is that a yellow diamond in your ring?

Edited by Putney

lllr3696.jpg

This is the reflector i used, with no cover it's a shoot through diffuser (2ev) i used the white cover against a chair as the base and back so in a way i sort of made a mini studio! I used the nikon 24-70mm f2.8 ED G, a great lens. I think i'd have benefitted from a macro lens so i'll be interested to see your shots.

It is an offcolour diamond in the middle, i'm not sure of the proper name for something like that, there is no way i could stretch to the price of a coloured diamond but i knew the look i wanted!

Regarding the Lastolite triflip, it's a great bit of kit and folds away very compactly, i've had loads of uses for it so far it was a great purchase.

another shot from my FLickR:

3234545561_7a6fc09bdb.jpg

Matt.

Edited by Muska

lllr3696.jpg

This is the reflector i used, with no cover it's a shoot through diffuser (2ev) i used the white cover against a chair as the base and back so in a way i sort of made a mini studio! I used the nikon 24-70mm f2.8 ED G, a great lens. I think i'd have benefitted from a macro lens so i'll be interested to see your shots.

It is an offcolour diamond in the middle, i'm not sure of the proper name for something like that, there is no way i could stretch to the price of a coloured diamond but i knew the look i wanted!

Regarding the Lastolite triflip, it's a great bit of kit and folds away very compactly, i've had loads of uses for it so far it was a great purchase.

another shot from my FLickR:

3234545561_7a6fc09bdb.jpg

Matt.

Thats even better than your first pic... So nice and sharp... I have the 24-70 2.8 L canon.. So if i struggle with my 100mm I will be using that.... How much was the diffuser and do you get any work out of it? I was thinking about offering my jeweler friend a service for his rings and watches. So what settings did you use on the camera? were you at 2.8?

Thats even better than your first pic... So nice and sharp... I have the 24-70 2.8 L canon.. So if i struggle with my 100mm I will be using that.... How much was the diffuser and do you get any work out of it? I was thinking about offering my jeweler friend a service for his rings and watches. So what settings did you use on the camera? were you at 2.8?

The diffuser/reflector is great. It comes with everything in the picture and i've found loads of use for it, just used it most recently on a wedding portriat session. I paid £80 for it and got it from warehouseexpress:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/b...Range=668#first

as my lighting equipment grows i'll have even more use for it.

I had the camera set to f8, as i wanted the sharpest results possible and the flash was set to high speed sync, about 1/200th if i remember correctly so there would be no blur as i hand held every shot. I was zoomed in at 70mm hence the very shallow DOF though. (i just checked the exif data and this is correct)

Is your 100mm macro lens a true 1:1? If it is i think you'll get more detail as there are diamonds on the collar of my fiance's ring and i struggled to pick up the detail of those.

Looking forward to seeing your shots from the macro lens.

Matt.

DSC_1665edit.jpg

I took this about 2 years ago while I was at college, 3 minute exposure with 2 flashguns and 2 torches

thats crazy... B)

The diffuser/reflector is great. It comes with everything in the picture and i've found loads of use for it, just used it most recently on a wedding portriat session. I paid £80 for it and got it from warehouseexpress:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/b...Range=668#first

as my lighting equipment grows i'll have even more use for it.

I had the camera set to f8, as i wanted the sharpest results possible and the flash was set to high speed sync, about 1/200th if i remember correctly so there would be no blur as i hand held every shot. I was zoomed in at 70mm hence the very shallow DOF though. (i just checked the exif data and this is correct)

Is your 100mm macro lens a true 1:1? If it is i think you'll get more detail as there are diamonds on the collar of my fiance's ring and i struggled to pick up the detail of those.

Looking forward to seeing your shots from the macro lens.

Matt.

will look into getting one.. Just ordered a 50d.. so a little skint!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...