So the new mini cooper is turbo charged.

Putney

Mini Cooper S on MSN

Interesting change for BMW, little bit more power but it might have lost it's character

Discuss coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Hey maybe they will have got rid of that annoying power steering whine.

I'm sure itll be just as popular as the current one, but, 'its just not a mini' smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

200,000 minis sold in the UK coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Sounds like it will also be heavier and slower. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I dunno, I like them, but they just have no performance. I mean they are not much quicker than a lupo gti.

I had fun whooping a cooper s works 2 weeks ago at avon raceway. a car with over 200bhp that size should not be beaten by a 1.4 16v lupo.

Sounds like it will also be heavier and slower. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I dunno, I like them, but they just have no performance. I mean they are not much quicker than a lupo gti.

I had fun whooping a cooper s works 2 weeks ago at avon raceway. a car with over 200bhp that size should not be beaten by a 1.4 16v lupo.

strip a 200bhp cooper s works out to the stage that yours is stripped and i'm sure it would whoop your ass wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

strip a 200bhp cooper s works out to the stage that yours is stripped and i'm sure it would whoop your ass wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

stick the same motor in mine that the mini has and I would whoop it's ass tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

stick the same motor in mine that the mini has and I would whoop it's ass tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

stick a 20vt in your car and i'm sure it wouldn't handle like that mini will.

stick a 20vt in your car and i'm sure it wouldn't handle like that mini will.

my car doesnt handle as well as a standard sport anyway so I think that's a safe bet laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

ah, I cant be arsed to carry on. you win. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I think BMW's really messed this one up. Why spend the dveelopment budget required for a completely new car and then make it look exactly the same as the old one? Trouble I icons, I guess. But even Ford have managed to produce a good looking (albeit with Fiat's help) design for the new Ka which has a similairly strong image, so why were BMW so afraid to step up to the mark?

It's all being done for the sake of reducing production costs, as - due to the ex-Rover design - these were higher than BMW would have liked. Not quite as bad as VW's problems on the Golf, but not good due to the complexity of the underlying design.

For an exmaple, take a look at the under-bonnet pictures on this link:

http://www.mini2.com/article386-1st-genera...hotographs.html

Note that the new model has a completely new front end structure, all with the aim of producing rigidty at less cost by removing complexity (a good example of value engineering, I suppose). We now have a slam panel, whereas before rigidity was provided "somewhere else" (lower down, presumably). Originally, BMW had said that they were going to drop the clamshell bonnet alltogether due to its cost (really difficult to press), yet we still see it here even though the new structure is more suited to the traditional bonnet and wings - another sign of their timidity, imho.

And, if that wasn't enough, they then go and do this:

214c9jn.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

to the interior. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Note that the dash itself is under a shroud - but look at the huge big egg thing - what were they thinging?

I never did like the Mini, but BMW should be hanging their heads in shame over this one. The worst part of it is, it will sell, no doubt because people are - generally speaking - sheep. After all - aside from the Clio and the Grande Punto, nothing much is standing out in the supermini segment. And the Polo's getting on a bit now...

And as the final nail in the coffin, the move to a turbo isn't for any technological or even manufacturing advantage (as can be argued to for the rest of the extremely poor decisions). It's purely a business decision to enable a joint venture with Peugeot. Expect to see Mini Cooper S engines in a 207 in the next coupel of years. ermm.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ermm:" border="0" alt="ermm.gif" />

All my 2p, your milage may vary, etc.

Deek.

Edited by dxg

We had the 'old' Mini Cooper for just under three years and apart from a total lack of torque under 4000 rpm, it was fine. It was chosen over the Lupo Gti purely on the fact it cost the same, cost £100 to service for five years (1st oil service in the Ibiza £145), handled far better straight out of the box and was more comfortable. We got £10000 trading it in, so was cheap motoring all in all.

BMW get to use the new engines this year, before PSA as part of the deal so that was a give away as to when the new new Mini comes out. The headlights stay attached to the car when the bonnet is raised. New colours include the old Metro fave Nightfire Red. Special editions to come are rumoured to be in Vermillion and Russet Brown!

Edited by IDGM

I think BMW's really messed this one up. Why spend the dveelopment budget required for a completely new car and then make it look exactly the same as the old one? Trouble I icons, I guess. But even Ford have managed to produce a good looking (albeit with Fiat's help) design for the new Ka which has a similairly strong image, so why were BMW so afraid to step up to the mark?

I disagree. If it aint broke don't fix it! They know th eformula they have works and will sell in millions, no point taking a hugh risk and creating a totally different looking car when they can tweak the old one which still looks really contempary. Minis not my cup of T at all but I can see why people like them/buy them!!

I disagree. If it aint broke don't fix it! They know th eformula they have works and will sell in millions, no point taking a hugh risk and creating a totally different looking car when they can tweak the old one which still looks really contempary. Minis not my cup of T at all but I can see why people like them/buy them!!

This is supposed to be the new Ka:

e8504119a0c920edc09bd527bded6d76_1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

And this sort of step-change design is what I had hoped that BMW would have done with the new Mini. Ford have managed to get their Iosis(?) design language into the Ka, yet it is still very much a Ka. And this is even with the constraint of sharing the platform with the new Fiat 500.

I guess you could argue that the Mini itself is its own design language and hence BMW have gone down the route they've chosen. I suppose they certainly couldn't have applied the Bangle (what's it called - Flame something??) language to the Mini because - after all - the Mini's not a BMW, right? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Deek.

If thats the new Ka I want one already.

Focus RS engine and I would be a happy chap. Recents Fords (Puma, Focus, Mondeo & current Ka) are up there with the best of them for handling so would a good drivers car with some power.

*Edit* If only the Ka was to look like that though. Photoshop to reality eh.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Aye, if the KA replacement looks like that, Citroen should be worried. I can see the Max Power brigade swapping over in their droves. I still want to see what the Fiat 500 will look like in the metal. I fancy a Multijet for bobbing around in.

I heard somewhere that the supercharger had to go as the car wouldn't meet future emission standards with it . . . . .

The current 1.6 engine is a chrysler unit and not that great - the new unit can't be any worse - I'm quite hopefull it will be alot better - and that the standard cooper will thus benefit.

I think BMW should be applauded for their Mini - it's a bloody good car - there are not too many cars out there which you can personalise so much from the factory.

It sells as it's good in so many areas - especially retained value.

I would have a new cooper if I could afford it.

If you'd have heard my work colleague and current Mini owner bleating about the wretched thing all day today you'd be as sick of it as I am.

He's under the assumption it'll not be as good as his Mini, so the older ones will retain their values better.

I kept winding him up by playing devils advocate "oooh, I'm not sure. I think the number of Mini's sold will mean yours will drop in value".

Like taking candy off a babe. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Saw 4 new minis going up and down the A34 today, all slightly covered up but still looking slightly gay.

i work for a bmw and mini dealership and i can honestly say that the mini at the mo is bloomin' good fun to drive and if u stick the right person behind the wheel a cooper s will eat most things on the road!!!

I have personally taken on and beat a leon cupra r in a standard cooper s on a straight dual carriage way!!

The new mini looks like its going to be more of the same but y radically change something that is selling over 200,000 cars? there is none!!!!

fair doos to bmw/mini for building a f**king brilliant and fun car!!

The Seat Cupra R is 225bhp, i think the 0-100 is 16.5 seconds, i remember the mini cooper s being around 20 seconds to 100. the cupra r would pull away easily from the mini cooper s.

Peugeots 1.6 turbo engine will be out in september.. as long as its not delayed...

As to BMW not making any money out of the Mini well 12000(£)x200000(units)=£2,400,000,000 How could they tell anyone their not making money...