Wheel refurbing

Max69vk

These look really good! I too have a question though... did you just spray the face of the wheel? Or have you done the back and the inside face that runs in the direction of motion (if you get me?!)? Also, how come you have so many sets of wheels!?

Dave

These look really good! I too have a question though... did you just spray the face of the wheel? Or have you done the back and the inside face that runs in the direction of motion (if you get me?!)? Also, how come you have so many sets of wheels!?

Dave

I've sprayed the inside of the rim too just because they covered in sh*t & runs, so they were nasty to look at through the spokes. I rubbed the inside (back) of the rims down with a red (course) scotch pad just to key it up, and then sprayed on a couple of coats just to make them look a little tidyer. The finish doesnt even have to be good as they'll get covered in brake dust eventually, if you are going to spray the inside of the wheels do them before you do the outside of the wheel to avoid overspray. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I've only got 2 sets of wheels now (did have 4!), these are only going to be fitted for about 2 weeks while the others that are on the car get fully mirror polished!

Edited by Max69vk

A slight update on this:

My full prepped wheel got dropped on its face over the weekend which really ****ed the finish up! Not wanting to spend an age flatting, sanding & repolishing I tried an experiment that meant that after sanding back with 360 grit on a DA sander, it looked like this after only 30 mins!.........

DSC00454Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00455Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Hit the rim back with either 360 or 400 grit (depending how rough the wheel is) on a DA sander, then hand sand the rim with 600 wet n' dry (hand sand so that you go in a different direction to the swirls created by DA sanding), finally use an 1000 wet n' dry Abralon pad on a a DA & go over over the rim (Abralon pads are just a foam backed wet n' dry sanding disc). After this stage the wheel is ready to be polished with a stitched calico mop & blue (finishing) compound.

Edited by Max69vk

A couple of pics comparing a 'prepped' rim after 1000 grit wet n' dry & a polished rim

DSC00462Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00461Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Love that you can see the reflection of my house in the polished rim!

Another shot comparing a semi prepped wheel against a fully finished wheel

DSC00460Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Here's an experimental rim with polished lip & satin finished centre, I ended up going against this idea as the centre caps are plastic & would have had to be sprayed which wouldn't have matched up very well against the spokes

DSC00458Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

A couple of shots of the production line:

Start to finish

DSC00456Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Finish to start

DSC00457Small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Edited by Max69vk

looking good mate. good to know people are trying this themselves.

got to try polishing myself in a week or 2 for my girlfrinds car. got a rocker cover ti finish off and an inlet mannifold. this is going to be very fun lots of nuts and cranneys to get in to laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

anyway keep up the good work. and keep us posted on them biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

what will you end up doing with these wheels once there complete? put them on or sell em? cant wait for pics on the car ..

They will go on the car for a couple of weeks while my current wheels are refurbed, & then they'll be up for sale...... Already got my eyes on few different styles of rims, might actually stick a single set one day! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Are the wheels going be on for E38 ??

I wish sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Had a slight accident with my drill that I was using for polishing, dont ask me how but I managed to get the flex caught around the chuck as it was spinning & it sheared the power cable in half! By some luck of God I didn't get 240v straight up my ass but the sheared cable just somehow missed making contact with me, any metal part of the drill or the wheel. If it did I would have been dead as crispy fried chicken!

From now on I will defiantely be using a RCD just in case.

240 won't kill ya, just really bloody hurts! Or at least it didn't kill me, both times...

Either way I wouldn't fancy having a go laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scuse the mess! Only just had the tyres put on so they need a clean but heres a quick pic...

DSC00556.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00557.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00558.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00559.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

The centre caps look a little 'proud' without the stickers on, but they'll be done soon enough!

Agreed, they look well cool! Are they satin black or is it just because they're dirty?

Just on with doing my old set of O.Z.'s from my cabby (still!!).

IMG_6192_copy_small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Thanks for the comments guys. The wheels are painted satin black, the hand prints all over them dont help though! The car hasn't actually been lowered any further, funnily enough when the wheels were fitted at the garage everbody comented on how it looked lower than with the other wheels too. Overall Im quite happy with them although it does now seem like a lot of effort for a set of wheels which will probably only be on the car & up for sale in about a months time! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Well not being one to hang about (as if wheelkerbed1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

wheelkerbed2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

I've abandoned the idea of polishing the lips on these, simply because Im not even sure Im going to keep them! Luckily I've managed to find a shade of silver that does have a very high finish, but also if its laquered enough it actually turns a slightly more anthracite colour which is pretty cool!

..... & here's the same wheel after being sanded back with 240 grit on a DA sander, then 500, then 800 wet n dry, & the lips sprayed with 1k etch primer & flattened back with 1000 grit wet n dry......

DSC00566.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00567.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

More updates to come as it happens!!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />