Auto-Journals.com...

AndyW

Afternoon all, quite excited here as a website I've got a little part in launched today. Its called Auto-Journals, if you ever frequent the EVO forum you'll know that a member there and a former contributor to the mag, David Yu, decided a few months back to start up his own owners experience website in the style of the 'Fast Fleet' section of the mag, which many people, myself included, always felt was the best read in EVO!

The tag line for it is real life with cars, which sums it up better than I can. I'm only just getting a look around the site now, and there seems to be a nice mix of cars, including of course, my Lupo. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Auto-Journals homepage

My first entry for the Lupo can be found here.

Post what you think, I myself am only just reading about the others cars, theres a guy with an Espada contributing also, which looks facinating, and a nice collection of other performance or 'fun' cars.

Thanks to snoop for fiddling with my photo's and Bossjohn proof reading it for me. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by AndyW

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice site, hats off.

And your piece on the Lupo was very well thought out, actually makes me want one (didnt think I'd ever say that about a Lupo blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> )

Cheers, yeah, loving the layout, can't say that I had a part in that, I'm not talented in that area!

The TT write up is a personal fave, hes been a poster for Evo for years and is famous for his rants and well craft test drive reviews. Well worth a read.

Cheers Andi, I'm hoping it got across the Lupo Love to the wider car community. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Just reading the Espada piece, now thats a man in love with a machine!

Interesting read and a cool site. How did you hear about it the in first place and get to be a writer? Don't suppose you reckon there's space for me to write about my Arosa do you? Motoring journalism has always been a kind of distant career for me when I get a bit older and need something to fill my time with so some practice now would be fun! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

No EVO nuts testing the Focus yet?

No, strangely. They've obviously done plenty of tests, group tests and a more specific ones but not had one on long term test in Fast Fleet. I'd imagine they would, they have a Fiesta ST currently being run by Richard Porter, the man who invented Sniff Petrol.

And Mike, I got wind of this through a casual conversation on the EVO forum. We were having a moan about how the mag had slipped slightly one month and it came up that many people, without fail, flicked all the way through and read Fast Fleet first. David Yu had apparently been thinking about the idea for awhile and a few months down the line here it is. I actually thought it wasn't going to happen, I missed the meeting at Christmas they had and didn't hear anything until a month or so back.

Theres no money in it (not that its a motivation for me at all), but feel free to register your interest, I can't speak for David or Tim, but the only thing would probably be that the Arosa is a little too closely related to the Lupo. That said, I know you'd be pretty good at this Mike, your write ups in the past have been top reading.

Edited by AndyW

I had figured that the Arosa may be a bit too close to the Lupo. I could write about my 'rents Saab 9-3 Aero. I pretty much specced that car and have experienced nearly all it's (many) problems. Unfortunately I've never driven it (although I have driven a demo car) but I can certainly comment on it's day to day running.

I think driving it would be a requirement. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I know you'd be good at it though, how long before you graduate and get some money? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Really interested to hear what people think of the other Journals also, plus any cars they'd like to see featured. It can be old or new, anything really. Of course, then we have to find someone willing to write about it!

great site there, how hard do you drive it to get 36.5 mpg?

That figure was a bit of a guess to be honest as sometimes I potter about like a granny and sometimes I tear about the place so I settled on the last journey I'd done. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

2 years before I graduate. I'm going to go into motorsport or vehicle development with a bit of luck. My plan was to maybe do some motoring journalism when I get tired of that though as I'd think some experience gained developing cars would bring a new angle wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> It's just one of my many possible career directions though. Others include being a motoring photographer and a racing driver! Haha. Basically I'm leaving anything that wouldn't provide a definite income till I've bored myself of my chosen career and hopefully made enough money wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

All good plans matey, give it all a go. I have to say though, no way could I hack being a professional car photographer, thats some hard graft! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

They do a MA in Motoring Journalism at Coventry now, Autocar seems to rate it fairly well, but I'd imagine that year or two would be better spent (career) wise, being the tea boy at a decent mag.

Haha. Yeah. Well I'm coming out of Uni with an Engineering degree, so I certainly hope to use it. Would be nice to be a contributor to EVO or something like that (if I can find the time!). Ideally though I'd like to work in F1 or some high level motorsport for maybe 5 years or so (or untill I get too burnt out from working 25hrs a day 8 days a week) and then go and take it easy developing cars in Germany for while (ideally driving Porsches round The 'Ring). After I get bored of that maybe come back to the UK and work for some small sportscar company (or set up my own tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />) and then depending how that goes, either carry on gracefully until I retire or earn stacks of cash, retire at 45 and start writing as a motoring journalist or work as a free lance consultant to the auto industry tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

As you can see....I haven't really got much of a plan for my career direction wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

True...although it's always good to have some kind of direction in life. That way you can position yourself into the right jobs wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Nice site, and good write up Andy.

I also read the 106 Rallye and the Clio 16v and Williams reviews.

Will work my way through the others, but they've all been enjoyable so far. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Cheers, yeah, been meaning to read the 106 one all day and haven't yet.

Haven't had that much feedback from posting it on Pistonheads and Tyresmoke, but I suppose it is Saturday.