Lupin III (Petrified's 1.4 16v Sport)

Petrified

yeah I sold him my old g40 exhaust, his fell off when he was driving to collect it laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

as long as your patient, you will get a decent sport for under 3k. even high milers are pretty good. you can find one from £2-2.5k

mine has been driven pretty hard for the last 10,000 miles. it's now on 118,000 and running fine, as long as you keep up the servicing they are good engines, just wonder how it will take to a 50bhp shot of nitrous blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lupiniii23.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Get those rear light, orange filters out of each unit like me..............treat it as a weight reduction task biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Dont do what I do. think about where you will be in a year or two, will you still have the sport? will you have spent lots of money on it to make it go faster? will you see any of that money back? does it matter? would it be a better Idea to save the money and buy a faster car (GTI) further down the line?

was discussing this with Martin last night... I've got the Lup because I wanted something fun, quick, and easier to insure... but as I get older and older, with more years driving, and more NCB, I can afford something quicker...

but I would love to build a really quick Lupo, so I'm ina bit of a maze as to what to do!

I think he is kinda looking forward to having something a bit newer, more relaible than the GT. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Me and another mate were drawing up a kind of wish list for our cars, mine came to £2100 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> And I currently have £5 to last me until the weekend.....say no more.

Desperately need ot get a summer job, get some cash and get some mods going (Hopefully on a new car wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)

• 2 weeks later...
Get those rear light, orange filters out of each unit like me..............treat it as a weight reduction task biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think I will, I had a look at them today and now you've pointed them out it's annoying me. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

any luck solving the water leak?

no, I've probably made it worse.. I've broken the threads that hold in the 'vent' that sits in the scuttle tray for the heater system, this may have been where it was coming in but could also have been from the engine bay.

i'll take it through a car wash on saturday with lots of towels and find out.

Still got the gear gaitor on there even tho i pionted out no need for it.lol

It probably will go eventually...

Havn't really done much with the lupo recently so started again on it today.

removed the heater so I can scrape the remainder of the sound proofing from the footwells..

while the heater was out I conntected the two coolant pipes together so the car was drivable, i might leave it out now, or at least for a few weeks with santapod coming up, weighs quite a bit..

instead of bringing out the heat gun I got to work on the wiring looms at last! it'll be a lot easier ones I have got manual windows as I havn't worked out whats speaker wire, whats electric windows and whats central locking...

although I did remove the rear wiring (finally) heated windscreen, central locking, wash wipe hose, radio aerial, internal light and everything else.. all comes to around 2.5kg's so happy with that.

delayed removing the charcoal cannister... that can wait a bit. but certainly looks a bit more tidy in there now. I'll try to get photos. feels even quicker now with the heater out and passenger seat removed. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

supprisingly - not yet.

I have a list of things to remove somewhere and they are top of the list.

just a pain for me to do because I have no where to work on the car. everything I've done so far has been on the road outside my house laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> arch liners mean removing wheels which is a pain next to a busy road.

edit: ...I sense a thread merger. ph34r.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Edited by Petrified

edit: ...I sense a thread merger. ph34r.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Dude I've been thinking about this for a while now, mostly because I cant remember how to put the car back together again, so it'd be easier to run it 'stripped'

Do you not miss the creature comforts normally found?

The dash for instance, is my favourite part of the car, do you ever miss it?

Dude I've been thinking about this for a while now, mostly because I cant remember how to put the car back together again, so it'd be easier to run it 'stripped'

Do you not miss the creature comforts normally found?

The dash for instance, is my favourite part of the car, do you ever miss it?

It's not my only car.

Although I am tempted to put the dash back in once it's all done. As you say the dash is one of the best bits!

I use the G40 mostly these days, also have another 2 mk3 polos, and my g/f's polo 9n for longer journeys.

The plan is to sell the G40 and get something a bit more modern. I have been thinking of a Lupo GTI, or an Ibiza TDI. I could get another golf GTI but I just dont want to have that sort of money tied up in a car (20k!)

I'll get some more pics of it during the week, internal ones as a few people have asked.

I've removed the heater system at the moment ready for santapod rwyb next weekend. so it really looks empty.

I guess thats not so bad then if you still have some thing else for those trips that don't include timing gear!

I cant decide what to do, really want to fit my audio into another car as theres too much weight to keep in the Lupo.

Before the baby came, Id ordered a set of harnesses, was on the look out for a cage and buckets, but thats out the window now as we need three seats for the shows smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Once I get fat I may start pulling it all out lol

A couple of 'in progress' shots of the wiring. it's easier than it looks, just find something that is no longer needed (rear heated windscreen) and keep tracing the cable back to it's source. so far removed around 3kg's with lots more to go.

I've lost track a few times of what it is I've been cutting back, but luckily I have etka to tell me what it is i'm cutting lupiniii25.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

lupiniii26.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

I'm driving it to work in the morning too laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

it does get a bit scary when you unwrap the cables and then forget what does where.. I've been using cable ties to tie up the bits im not working on.

Ive been working on my wiring looms these past couple of days, its driving me up the wall as I cant believe how different my loom is to the 1400 one.

If I didn't have any choice, I certainly wouldn't being doing it for fun!

As I said, you must be mad! lol

ahh, this all looks so familiar!! Wait until you get to the ECU wiring, now that will give you nightmares.

Just a quick tip, more on safety really, remove the airbag ecu bolts that are welded to the tunnel. Leave the one thats closest to the bulkhead on the left for the earthing point but take the rest out, if you leave them in and have a bump these will do a lot of damage to legs and ankles. ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Not a big update but had a new sachs clutch fitted. standard one. my old one was pretty well worn, must have been on the car it's whole life. feels quite different now, it engages quicker and it does feel like it's pulling harder. with my old one it was slipping under full load (6300+ rpm while accelerating) and while coming out of a bend. now it's better than it's ever been. cant say it will make a big difference to 1/4 mile times.. I also got rid, finally of the wheel liners. they weigh a bit more than i thought, that combined with the heater and a bit of wiring may make a difference.

Off to santapod tomorrow for the hottest RYWB of the year so far. it will affect times but still hoping to get the same times I've had previously.. shouldn't affect the lupo as much as the turbo'd cars so there might be a few supprises.

Im going to take a break from the wiring and as suggested tidy up a few things on the car. make it a bit more safer and even look at getting the brace bars fitted smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I was running 15.8/15.9's most of the day. but at much lower terminal speeds. which i guess was due to the heat.

speeds were around 83/84mph. previously a 15.8 would have been 87mph so im quite happy with that.

the times were affected a bit more than I thought./ I was hoping I could run another 15.6 even if I did the speed woul have been around 85mph instead of 88mph.

it's hard to gain anything from it, there were lots of skylines, gto's and gt-4's all claiming to have lost around a second off their top speeds.

i beat a integra type-r, a gt startlet a 60bhp skoda (with a 3 second head start) and a few others so it was all good. I got whooped good by a 12 second pulsar gti-r. the only other much faster car was a renault gt turbo which ran a low 14.

I got a couple of pics at santapod.. someone apparently has a video of me beating a 3 series bmw with the plate B3AT U (or something like that) so may have something to upload soon.

lupiiin taking a breather

lupiniii28.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

a familiar face.

lupiniii27.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />