Hey look, a cheap lupo......

Rich

Buy a cheap lupo they said, it will be good they said....

So I bought a cheap lupo and if has sat waiting it's time.

It's time is now, it gets a thread, revival to removal.

14228444_IMG_20231017_143112_HDR2.thumb.jpg.dbb793e87600b753531ea5362c72f7f8.jpg

So far it has now moved inside.

1357094397_IMG_20231106_215029_HDR3.thumb.jpg.2d66063332f9170412298003f7f3ee35.jpg

And it is up in the air getting all the subframe and exhaust bolts loosened off and bathed ready for removal.

995363475_IMG_20231107_140836_HDR2.thumb.jpg.753aee95874ab3a31b221adc3b44a1cf.jpg

two tyres (£100!) Getting fitted as we speak.

bushes, mounts, full arb, filters, fluids, brakes, timing belt are all on their way tomorrow.

one wing acquired, two doors and one more wing to go.....

• Like 1

Definitely a good idea to buy a cheap lupo.

The parts have now actually surpassed the purchase price.

Subframe removal necessitated downpipe removal, painless but annoying as that meant trumpets and oily box off.

Needed to come off as the seal was twisted and needs cleaning.

Egr removed, blanking plates to fit.

Downpipe needs welding around the cat, easy enough, rest is all new, should be sweet.

No idea why an advisory on the wishbone bushes, they are fine.

Gearbox selector seal needs doing.

Subframe, beyond efforts for cost/time.

1734132683_IMG_20231112_193814_HDR2.thumb.jpg.c853bc6d449707dcec9766124d40133e.jpg

IMG_20231111_231556_HDR.thumb.jpg.d4c3c4ed100909f5e80818f2e1b2659c.jpg

IMG_20231112_193944_HDR.thumb.jpg.6d28ba35cbe8bf4c3de0aa844ddc0510.jpg

IMG_20231112_193956_HDR.thumb.jpg.52767b98debdf8b1fda7d0a1acb8312f.jpgIMG_20231112_194105_HDR.thumb.jpg.6f5ab2611b4fc3f3609380763cab1128.jpg

Also, to note for removal, I was nice with all captive nuts, I've been here many times but the rusty passenger mount (theme on that side) decided to fight and fortunately made an access hole.

I'm going to fit the frame and weld the captive and plate it. IMG_20231112_193854_HDR.thumb.jpg.a886238855abe219b1fd5a27ac8a45ac.jpg

Rear subframe and coils probably need doing too? They look rough!

I had both front and rear subframes (bought from someone on here) sandblasted. Presently sitting in dry storage waiting to be galvanised... My silver SDI has both F&R desperate to be changed.

I haven't even looked at the rear yet.

The whole car is great for rust, scabby panels but sills are straight and the shell is fantastic.

I was theorising that the coolant leak and the undertray were the culprit but then it's gone on the other side too. 

The rear jack up can be later in life, I don't wanna know. 

Subframe delivered, fitted, all good to go and hopefully mot tomorrow or Wednesday.

Did the wishbone bushes as they were off, easy and cheap.

Arb bushes and drop links too.

For some reason it won't let me upload photos.

If I knew of a cheap way to bring pallets in from the likes of Spain or Portugal, I'd buy, say, ten of each front and rear subframes from various breakers.

When on hol recently, I visited a breakers' where there were fifty year old motors, in near mint condition bodyworkwise.  I specifically looked closely at the weakpoints and they really did look like they were only a few months old. Even the black paint was still clean and shiny. Just shows how salt eats away at our cars. Yeah, most people don't go breakers yards when on hols. 🤷🏻‍♀️👍🏻

Because they're not available new from anywhere, and there are quite a few of us who are trying to keep our Lupos going forever, I'd definitely think that there's an option to make a few quid (not a lot though). Plus keep people happy.

They go for around £75 each. So add shipping, plus something for my time (to remove/strip them), how much would people pay?

• Like 2

It would be the niche-est of niche business ventures but I would fully support your Lupo Subframe and Rear Axle Import Company. 😁 .

My rear axle came from a breakers in Portugal on eBay, shipped it over on a pallet surprisingly cheaply and like you say there was barely any corrosion on it at all. Looked like a 2-3 year old part.

• Like 1

I actually have a set of drums I acquired from the desguaces but it's debatable whether or not project budget allows them to be fitted.

I should have gotten a subframe instead but I was mostly looking for TT parts.

All fitted up and exhaust going on very soon and then it can be kicked out for MOT. 

I could foresee an opportunity to bring in parts to order, for virtually any car... I mean there are even mk2 golfs where all the plastics and rubber are beyond hope (sun damage). But all the metal parts are just lovely. No idea how the 'business' would work logistically though. 

The smart money would be to be a breakers yard in Spain/Portugal, with a web site, offering cheap (and probably slow) shipping to northern europe. 

My (over a year) long attempts to have a spanish owner part with their hardly used Golf Country is not progressing very well...

I love foreign breakers yards as they are just like ours from the seventies and eighties and are real goldmines. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

No and no.

There aren't any buses till after Christmas. 

Please. I want to be in a lupo again I miss it I made a mistake leaving. 
I am aware. Poor little girl having to walk all over in the rain. It’s sad times. It’s a sad day today. Come on Rich, I feel like you should want to help me. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

No and no.

There aren't any buses till after Christmas. 

I will also love it very much and look after it and wash it twice a week and no one will eat In it. It’ll be the most looked after lupo ever. 

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

This is my daily car now.

The TT gearbox and it's selector aren't friends anymore and it just sits broken and dirty behind work.

The lupo, it is super shiny and is currently being the best it can be.

Did a wheel bearing last night, getting the knuckle off was a lovely person and the circlip was too thick that came with the £11.90 ecp bearing.

Same on the previous bearing fitted, they had bashed it in as best they could but they disturbed the bearing seal. 

I used the belt grinder and took some off until it was all nice and snug. 

97k soon, after seeing how many miles I get from 20 litres and then I am going to unplug the Speedo.

Edited by Rich

Fitted a standard stereo in it earlier.

Going to do a rear spring on it later and have a look at the rear beam.

Updates went with the ability of free pictures.

• Like 1