Project Doris... Lupo SDI

NornIron

Had a bit of time to spare, so managed to spend a bit of time finishing off the various apertures yesterday.

The tops of the door sills were in a bad state, mainly minor scratches and swirls... apologies, it is quite hard to tell from the pics:
DSCF1229_zps17e34b5b.jpg

So out with the DA and 4" Hexlogic pads... the same combos as the rest of the paintwork, Orange with Megs #101 followed by Green with Megs #80. A quick door sill 50:50:
DSCF1235_zpsc0c44a95.jpg

Followed the on both doors, boot and bonnet apertures with a cleanse of Lime Prime Lite, a coat of Britemax Extreme Elements and a quick application of einzsett Gummi Pflege Stift on the seals:
DSCF1237_zpsb562105a.jpg

DSCF1239_zps5a2647e6.jpg

Looking better :thumbup:

Top work as always, what are you going to do when Doris is finally all swirl free? :tongueout:

Well, there are the broken mirrors to replace with the two working ones I got, the new mirror caps to be rubbed down and sprayed Tornado red, the horn to replace (all the water killed it!), need to find a Beta radio / cassette with a code for a sensible price, and then sort out the surface rust on the sills and NSR wheel arch... :yes:

• Like 1

I went down to VW the other day looking for rear arch liners, seeing you had bought a new one, the Seat ones cost £20 a piece, The ape behind the desk at VW, bearing in mind that its a partnership, VW on one side of the road Seat on the other, he told me VW did 4 different types of rear arch liner for the lupo ranging from £26+ the dreaded to £48+!!!!

• Like 1

The ape behind the desk at VW he told me VW did 4 different types of rear arch liner for the lupo ranging from £26+ the dreaded to £48+!!!!

Lupo

Lupo 3L/FSi

Lupo GTi

From the top of my mind all those 3 have different rear bumpers, hence different rear arch liners.

• Like 1

Great work ! Just read the full topic from the start , and never blinked once , however , I also have the 1.7 sdi but its 1999 ... Why is my road tax 120 for 6 months and yours is so bloody cheap :( ?

Why is my road tax 120 for 6 months and yours is so cheap :( ?

Revised emissions... mine is only 119g CO2 :thumbsup:

Who needs stop start and Bluemotion...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well it's been a long time since I've updated this thread... Doris has covered around 4,000 miles and averaged over 54mpg during the intervening period.

As regards as her refurbishment I picked up another eBay bargain which filled a large hole in the dashboard:
DSCF2977_zps66ea5812.jpg

Not particularly startling, but the radio/cassette, CD player, mounting bracket and original manual (with keycode) cost me less than £30 delivered!

At some point Doris has been carelessly jacked up using the sills rather than the jacking points, causing some damage on both sides... it can be seen along the edge of the sill if you look closely!

DSCF1211_zpsa76e8df5.jpg

A little amateur butchery got them looking a little better, so preparations were made to tidy them up:
DSCF3142_zpsbffacc04.jpg

Firstly both sides masked up (I'll only bore you with the passenger side!):
DSCF3136_zps243dc250.jpg

Out with the knot wheel to clean the worst areas up:
DSCF3146_zps6ff6500a.jpg

DSCF3145_zps73f92ad5.jpg

Following a couple of treatments on Jenolite, and everything keyed with W&D, on with the etch primer:
DSCF3147_zps369331b9.jpg

Followed by GraviGuard on the sills:
DSCF3150_zps8d412f11.jpg

Four coats of rattle-can Tornado Red followed:
DSCF3226_zps57861b6f.jpg

And four of rattle-can lacquer:
DSCF3217_zps11537163.jpg

After everything had dried off and been cleaned up, this is the result:
DSCF3432_zpsf5440607.jpg

Still bendy, but no scabby rust and everything well protected!

Another really annoying area was the door mirrors, both of which were broken and taped up - interestingly, the black electrical tape used on the passenger door was a more durable repair than the white tape :tongueout:
DSCF0074_zps81c7ad97.jpg
DSCF0073_zps6f1e0dd5.jpg

Through the classifieds I picked up a set of used, but unbroken manual door mirrors:
DSCF2597_zps5476badd.jpg

Unpacked, covers removed and a thorough clean:
DSCF2600_zpsb79c3ae8.jpg

The covers were then rubbed down with various grades of W&D, revealing a rather tasteful previous paint colour... purple!
DSCF2601_zpsd978a576.jpg

One had a stress crack in the lower edge, which was repaired with epoxy on the inner edge:
DSCF2604_zpsf4ebd337.jpg
DSCF2606_zpsb1d6fbd5.jpg

After this had set, the outer face was rubbed down to remove the excess:
DSCF2605_zps79b536a5.jpg

Following some hi-build primer, four coats of colour and four of lacquer, the finished result was acceptable:
DSCF2968_zps1d4f74c6.jpg
DSCF2969_zpsf4e9a1f7.jpg

The old mirrors were removed, the replacements installed and the painted covers fitted:
DSCF2973_zpse457b747.jpg
DSCF2975_zpsa706d15f.jpg

And the final addition... yes, she has turned 17...
DSCF3433_zpsc8dd2c70.jpg

You're not the first person to have that on the sills. When I bought mine, I failed to check closely and only months later did I realize one side was heavily bent. However, I was able to lever it back using a piece of wood, some brute force and a lot of idiocy. Luckily, none of the paint fell off, however I do like to check every so often ;)

Good work anyway!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great thread... What ever happened to this car I wonder?

This has really inspired me to take more pics of the work I'm doing to my little red SDI :)

Edit to say I also love the look of the original steel wheels sans trims, if you don't mind me asking where are the centre cap/black trim bits from though? They look ace!

Edited by JoeyEunos
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Great thread... What ever happened to this car I wonder?

I also love the look of the original steel wheels sans trims, if you don't mind me asking where are the centre cap/black trim bits from though?

Hey, Doris is still trundling around, having just passed 105,000 miles and now being used to teach my son to drive. The wheel centres are off the Euro base model Lupo... here are a few cirrent pics:

DSCF3321_zps10umfbsj.jpg

DSCF3322_zps1t3dxivc.jpg

DSCF3324_zpsrtxjwpvv.jpg

• Like 1

Great crack, good to see she's still around! The car looks fantastic and is a real credit to you ^_^

I'm already hatching plans to get the paint out and tackle my wheels thanks to this thread, although those Euro spec Lupo wheel centres might prove hard to find... I'm looking all over the web and can't seem to find any. Can one simply order them directly through a Volkswagen dealer?

15 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

Can one simply order them directly through a Volkswagen dealer?

Yep, part number 6X0 601 169A

15 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

• Like 1

From one SDI enthusiast to another, thanks, I owe you one ;)

We seriously need to get an SDI collective/mafia dedicated section of the forum started, Skezza's been a great help to me too FWIW. Perhaps not the most exiting cars to drive, but with 65pmg and £30 a year road tax you can't go wrong, vive le SDI!

• Like 1