New Corsa VXR announced...

AndyW

Well, you could never call it subtle, it has pretty much every hot hatch element every devised, all in one £15,995 package and they literally appear to have thrown everything in the 'how to make a hot hatch' cook book.

2070103.008.mini5L.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

2070103.008.mini4L.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

2070103.008.mini6L.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

2070103.008.mini2L.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

2070103.008.mini3L.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Turbocharged 1.6 with 189bhp and in 3dr only. Slightly slower (0.7 sec) than the Clio 197.

I can't say I hate it, but I certainly can't say I like it either, when I first looked at the pictures I felt like my eyes had been poked out and I'd been beaten around the head. It certainly has one hell of a hot hatch spirit looks wise, but I can't say I'd want to be seen in it. Good buy for the money though, and if those seats are standard thats at least one point up on the 197 (where Recaro's are an £850 option).

I love my Lupo, but these modern 150bhp + cars for similar to the (old) new price of the Lupo GTI are pretty much leaving it behind now, at least with regards to outright performance.

Those pics are Opel press pics, theres some Vauxhall badged pics around here somewhere.

Discuss...

Edited by AndyW

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to hate it... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

It's sad that Vauxhell have seen what the punters want & put it in a good all-round package.

All I can really say against it is -

I'm not keen on the looks.

And if I'm going to spent £16k on a corsa I think I'd spend the extra £3-4k & get a Golf GTI/Focus ST/Megane/Astra VXR/Impreza. You'd save that extra outlay on the 1st 18 months depreciation alone & get a better all-round performer.

Its got the same diffuser from the clio.

VauxCorsaVXR_5_560px.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

I do actualy like the look of to, but it is a Vauxhall so wont drive properly and go round corners wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Cool. My Dad had a basic Corsa on rent up in Scotland over Xmas and I have to say I was impressed. It's very roomy inside, very taught handling and the interior was fairly adventurous. It had lots of options for a basic model too with a trip computer etc. Steering feels like it's connected through a tin of treacle though!

i like it. black would look cool.

i wonder if they are going to make a tigra VXR?

Now that would be funny!

no xenons though! which is a must on any new car of mine. i wonder if the seat leon cupra will have erm?

it would show a lupo gti a clean set of heals! enough said! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Got any weight figures for it? i am wanting to work out the power to weight ratio.

190bhp out of a 1.6. i think a 220bhp chipping figure could be realistic.

it would show a lupo gti a clean set of heals! enough said! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Got any weight figures for it? i am wanting to work out the power to weight ratio.

190bhp out of a 1.6. i think a 220bhp chipping figure could be realistic.

so could many cars on the road , i would rather have a CTR than a corsa

Is the New CTR in that price range though?

If the CTR had the 237bhp engine out the S2k that would be a deal breaker for me. 200bhp just seems lame out of a 2.0 now. I know it's and NA engine but the same engine is running a higher redline and 30bhp more in the S2000 so why not use that and be competitive with the New Hot hatches on power levels? Madness I tell thee! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

its a corsa , enough said .......

Yeah i agree, you still end up having to say that you drive a vauxhall corsa wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , no matter how fast it is you carnt get away from that.

And just look at it, its ugly, every time i see a new corsa i think it looks worse, awful looking cars, and the VXR is even worse than standard.

I saw the Corsa VXR at this years MPH show, and i stick buy what i said, its really ugly, and whats with those massive headlights, they look rediculous wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Chris

I like it.

But.

Id have to say I drive a VXR Corsa.

If it was the 197 I could say I drive a Clio and not feel bad about it.

Still going to get a test drive though, excluding the exhaust I think it looks great.

It's very in with keeping to the look of the VXR brand/range at the minute. Personally I don't think it looks too bad but as with the Astra it's a car that you can tire of the looks of.

Sometimes I look at the new Astra and think yeah that looks nice, sometimes I think it looks gash (depends how you feel on the day). I'm getting old and I prefer not to many spoilers and splitters.

Performance wise it ticks all the right buttons and being turbo there's no doubt huge improvements that can be made too.

Will they all have the OPC styling as standard or is that optional? Normally it's Irmscher who styles the sporty models, was it not?

Not too sure on all the badge snobbery going on in this thread though. We recently sold our Y reg 2.6 24v V6 Vectra SRi and that was an outstanding car with no reliability issues at all and no build issues either. We replaced it with an Audi A3 which in my opinion is no better build or driveability wise. And for a 1.8 it devours more fuel than the V6 did.

Will they all have the OPC styling as standard or is that optional? Normally it's Irmscher who styles the sporty models, was it not?

OPC is the name Opel calls its version of our VXR cars.

hmm it looks like its being boy raced before you even buy it :S

strangely though its growing on me, hate the m3 mirrors though and the blue vent surrounds.

Problem is as yet the "vxr" range for me are yet to release a good car that is well set up... the astra has too much power for how it has being set up, and hence torque steers like there is no tomorrow, we'll have to see how this one fairs!

Problem is as yet the "vxr" range for me are yet to release a good car that is well set up... the astra has too much power for how it has being set up, and hence torque steers like there is no tomorrow, we'll have to see how this one fairs!

Well, in fairness the Vectra VXR has had praise from the magazines as far as I remember, it was only predicatable Mr Clarkson who didn't like it.

The Astra VXR was widely panned, but the same magazines that have them on long term test appear to have warmed to them, and certainly the owners seem to like them.

Well, in fairness the Vectra VXR has had praise from the magazines as far as I remember, it was only predicatable Mr Clarkson who didn't like it.

The Astra VXR was widely panned, but the same magazines that have them on long term test appear to have warmed to them, and certainly the owners seem to like them.

lol Clarkson liking any vectra would go against what he's being saying about the vectra for the last 10 years lol. Gotta hand it to him though, he does entertain very well!

I guess the only real test is test driving one, ive also noticed with the Mazda 3 MPS the reviews seem to be very mixed as well, depending on how much of a badge snob the reviewer/mag is lol.

it was only predicatable Mr Clarkson who didn't like it.

To be fair.

He did like it, he said "Dont get me wrong, if someone gave it me, I would love it, Id defend it to the hilt.

But would I buy one, with money? Id rather have the Golf"

To be fair.

He did like it, he said "Dont get me wrong, if someone gave it me, I would love it, Id defend it to the hilt.

But would I buy one, with money? Id rather have the Golf"

That was on the Astra VXR, but I meant his review of the Vectra VXR, which I seem to remember he really didn't like.