throttle pedal too low

Skezza

Is it possible to lift the throttle pedal up slightly? I'm pretty sure it's too low.

The throttle is maxing out at 72%

Edited by Skezza

I'm not sure but is it cable or dbw on your car?

it's an Sdi. I thought they were cable but I've also been told they're fbw. I haven't actually looked myself, only discovered the issue tonight.

I really need to find out.

Edited by Skezza

I checked my sdi and can not lift the throttle pedal.

There are are two types of accelerator pedal position sender on SDI. If you have ECU with 80 pins (ECU with a single connector), accelerator pedal position sender is like this

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/polo-mk3/power_unit/diesel_direct_injection_and_glow_plug_system_up_to_09.99/fuel_preparation_system_diesel_injection/repairing_diesel_direct_injection_system/repairing_accelerator_mechanism/

If you have 121-pin control unit (ECU with two connectors), accelerator pedal position sender is like this

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/polo-mk3/engine_mechanics/3-cyl._diesel_engine_mechanics/fuel_supply_gas_operation/removing_and_installing_parts_of_fuel_supply_system/adjusting_pedal_position_sender/

My sdi has 121-pin control unit

• 1 year later...

Pretty sure I've got this issue too, even down to the point about being able to lift the pedal up without any resistance. I'm sure it's saving me money MPG wise, none the less it would be nice to achieve full revs if possible :rolleyes:

@Skezza, did you manage to sort this out?

@Rich, any wisdom to share?

Yes, I fixed it. There's like a metal rod you can bend. It straightens over time reducing the response of the pedal.

35 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Yes, I fixed it. There's like a metal rod you can bend. It straightens over time reducing the response of the pedal.

Thanks chap :) The rod you mention, is it directly under the pedal? Any tips RE how to access said rod or what tools might be needed?

^Things just got even more cryptic.... :D

I had suspected this thread held the answer...

Now it seems I'm in the business of looking for a non specific metal rod situated "roughly" behing the pedal, and I need to de-straighten/re-bend said rod... :ph34r: The good news is I own a 10mm spanner and also a "magnetic stick" :D

You lot crack me up!

I'll have a look this afternoon and see what I come up with. Who knows, I might even update this thread with the answer to the problem and include pics of how to rectify the issue later in the week  (Have I metnioned I hate dead end threads?) If not (And that seems likely, I've already spent way more time than I'd planned to messing about with the Lupo) I'll consider the accelerator function being limited as a built in 'eco mod' :P

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I discovered this too when rebuilding my SDI. On my 2002 model, there's a dbw throttle potentiometer, which looks like it was adapted to work with a cable throttle. There's a short length of steel cable that attaches (with great difficulty) to the pot' from the end of the throttle pedal.  If you lift the pedal, it simply flexes the steel cable. There is no way to adjust it as far as I can tell, other than bending the entire throttle pedal, to lift the bit that your foot rests on. I had to remove the pedal to bend it. It originally never went higher than 56%, which explains why a lot of people think the SDI is gutless! My little machine goes like a train now...

14 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah I discovered this too when rebuilding my SDI. On my 2002 model, there's a dbw throttle potentiometer, which looks like it was adapted to work with a cable throttle. There's a short length of steel cable that attaches (with great difficulty) to the pot' from the end of the throttle pedal.  If you lift the pedal, it simply flexes the steel cable. There is no way to adjust it as far as I can tell, other than bending the entire throttle pedal, to lift the bit that your foot rests on. I had to remove the pedal to bend it. It originally never went higher than 56%, which explains why a lot of people think the SDI is gutless! My little machine goes like a train now...

Mine was about 72%. I too bent the rod on the throttle but I assumed that was failing part. I didn't realize it was a stretching cable that was to blame. Interesting.