1.7 SDi won't start - can any one help?

Fuel light was on, vehicle left for 17 days, did a couple of short journeys (2 x 3/4miles), now it won't start!!!

A similar situation a few weeks back, fuel light on & taking a chance, no spluttering & ran ok! Parked up for 10-15 mins it wouldn't start! Put 5 litres of fuel in & it started straight away, (I was thinking that perhaps a secondary system cut engine until fuel was put in?).

This time, I put 4 litres of fuel in, the engine turns over with starter, but will not fire up!

Work done so far:-

1) Put more fuel in ???

Another 5 litres of fuel in, still the engine doesn't start, fuel gauge now reading about 40% full, fuel warning light out

No effect, still won't start!

2) Fuel starvation ???

Replaced fuel filter, engine coninues to turn over but will not start.

3) Fuel stop switch ???

I couldn't feel the solenoid stop switch working (click or vibration) so replaced it for a new one, still no sign of of click or vibration! I also measured resistance of old stop solenoid (.007 K ohms) I have no idea what it should read? Turned engine over, it initially sounded like it was about to start then nothing. I assume that this may be due to the fact that I have directly interferred with the available fuel when swapping the stop switch.

4) Is fuel getting to the injectors ???, I should have done this first!

Loosened an injector union (cylinder 2), turned it over and fuel seeped out, so fuel getting to engine, retightened the union and engine still wont fire up!

5) Observation

I have noticed that there appears to be a lot of air in the clear fuel feed pipe, but when the engine is turned over the air moves forwared to the pump (so the pump is working), but engine still won't fire up!

All relevant instrument lights appear correctly.

Can you help?

You can text/call aswell to 07758 654 204 if you wish

Gary

fuel starvation,takes quite a while to get the fuel up to filter and then the engine,so just turn engine overe and eventually it will fire,

word of warning only turn engine over for 30 secs at a time otherwise wire to starter gets very hot and will eventually burn out, dont ask how i know!!!!

Personally I'd stay away from Easy Start. It's not the best stuff for engines. There are plenty of people who have had their engines become 'addicted' to Easy Start...

Actually, that's not true, an engine is a lump of metal, it can't become addicted to anything. What happens is the Easy Start washes the oil from the pistons due to the explosive nature of ether based solutions. There isn't much oil to begin with, especially if the car hasn't been started for more than 5 or 6 hours. Then, the lack of lubrication (coupled with the massive explosion) will cause the piston rings to glaze the cylinder bores. The more often it is used, the more this happens and the result is usually a loss of compression and as such, your car becomes addicted and you need it every time you start it. I've heard stories of other problems like the con rod bending due to repeated use, and even a cambelt snapping (not sure how exactly) after far too much was sprayed by a recovery mechanic, but like I said, these are unverified stories.

Personally, I think you should diagnose the problem and fix it. Not resort to Easy Start or quick fix solutions. The only time I'd recommend Easy Start is on a very old and tired engine. No Lupo SDI engine can be considered old or tired, even ones with 200k miles on.

Edited by Skezza

Easy start is still the answer.

Instant way to be a pikey and prime all aspects of the diesel fuel system.

I have an SDI with 215k on, I'd use easy start on it if I had to.

I used lots of easy start on my GTD over winter. I changed the glow plugs eventually and its completely fine.

a little squirt, quickly turn the key and boom... agriculture.

the addiction to easy start is the ORIGINAL fault just becoming worse. Fix that fault and its fine.

Usually glow plugs on a diesel engine, or maybe lift pump on an old petrol.

brush the Rust off your testes and get squirting.