GTI windscreen

VR6

I'm having a right nightmare with this. I've found the thread with the part number and quoted it to Autoglass. They were adamant I was wrong and that the GTI doesn't have a 3mm screen and the only thing that mattered was that it was tinted green. So I phoned Adrian Flux who put me through to another glass company, they did exactly the same!!

What do I have to do to get a 3mm OE green tinted windscreen fitted to my GTI?

Autoglass are fitting my GTI glass I requested next monday! I phoned their main number from their website and made sure that I was getting GTI glass, though they have tried to fit normal glass in the past, but i refused to have it fitted. I made sure last time by lifting the screen before he fitted it, the guy from the Crawley branch even commented on how light it was!

VW currently have 2 GTI screens in stock (6E0 845 011 E)

I'm slowly getting there, kind of. The bloke who rang just told me by law front windscreens had to be 6.1mm thick and there is no way it will be 3mm thick. I gave him the part number for the GTI screen, and the standard screen and told him to phone VW directly and ask them himself. Got to love being told you're wrong when you know you are right lol

What's the difference, if you mind me asking?

Standard screen is 5 mm thick, GTI screen is 3mm thick, same as the rest of the glass.

I'm not getting anywhere. He just rang back and told me that there is no way that the glass is 3mm thick.

Is there anyone on here that works for VW that I could get this monkey from Auto Glass to contact to put him straight on the wind screen situation because he doesn't believe me. He's giving me the old, I've been doing this for 23 years BS and apparently he's never fitted a screen that thin :rant:

Is there anyone on here that works for VW that I could get this monkey from Auto Glass to contact to put him straight on the wind screen situation because he doesn't believe me. He's giving me the old, I've been doing this for 23 years BS and apparently he's never fitted a screen that thin :rant:

You can't believe their incompetence at times. ****ing right muppets the lot of them. We've had issues with them previously.

could you not send him the picture I added, as that is from a VW official help guide?

could you not send him the picture I added, as that is from a VW official help guide?

I will do mate. I've also just spoken to my local VW parts department who said they'd speak to him and confirmed that the part number I gave them is only fitted to GTI's, 3L's, and FSI's, not the whole range like the monkey was telling me. He went as far to say they wouldn't even fit 3mm glass to the side windows, I'm about to make him sound stupid and his 23 years experience invalid.

I :rant: hate being told I'm wrong when I know I'm not....

Edited by VR6

Surely VW wouldn't have got type approval for this car if the glass was wrong?

He called back and said he'd spoken to the parts department and they'd said the part number was only for GTI's, 3L's, and FSI's like I/we said. He then went on to say how he assures me it won't be 3.9mm thick, it will be 6.1mm thick, but he will order it anyway :doh:

I'll make sure I get in touch with him before its due to be fitted, get him to measure the glass then apologise to me for insisting he was right :shades:

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Edited by VR6

LOL!! I am a little worried that I'm going to have fun with Autoglass on Monday! I'm on my 5th or 6th screen, and I've had to re-book to have the correct glass fitted EVERYTIME!! I have given part numbers EVERYTIME and they still got it wrong the first attempt.... They even tried to charge me double excess once for requesting a genuine screen!

When it comes to fitment time, see if you can check it out before they fit it, make sure it has the VW logo in the corner and nothing else, and believe me, the weight difference is very noticable when you pick them up!

Edited by lupogtiboy

I will definitely be checking it to make sure its the right one mate, after I've made the monkey check it at the depot over the phone just to rub it in that he was wrong after all. They are absolutely useless!!

I loved the "I've been in this job 23 years and I've never fitted glass that thin" comment. Oh right. So there are roughly 34.6 million cars on UK roads, and only 822 of them are Lupo GTi's, so the chances of you fitting a windscreen to one is roughly 0.0023%, yet you know more about them than I do. Yeah ok.

Edited by VR6

VW want £188.21 inc vat for a screen, plus reckon on about £50-£60 ish to fit, quite an expensive outlay, especially when most insurers only charge a £75 excess...