BREAK LIGHTS DON'T WORK WOMAN IN NEED PLEASE HELP LOL

If you need any help PM me or ask in this thread. I intend to do a tutorial for this as it's a fairly straightforward job. Do not pay £100. You can pick a switch up for about 10 quid off eBay and fitting takes less than 2 minutes.

One thing though, and I'm yet to find out which versions exactly, but apparently back when they were creating the Brake Light Switch for this car, VW apparently made four in the space of one year, because the first three they designed were prone to failure. The problem is I don't know what the model numbers are and whether they are floating around, so buying one off eBay you could end up with one of the duffers. That said, it's better than paying £100 quid in my opinion. The one I fitted to my previous Lupo cost £8 off eBay and lasted until the car was written off. That was only about 10k-15k miles though.

Edited by Skezza

Thanks guys! Ive heard there are A B or C but wont know which one I need until I, or somebody, takes the current one out?

Bleurghhh I hate it :(

I just spoke to VW and I cant get an appointment til next month - or drive a million miles to get one next week... and guess what, they're not open Saturdays and I work Monday to Friday?!!

Grrrrr!!!

Ok I guess I'll have to find someone to get it out and have a look for me then buy a few on Ebay!

Hey guess what!! I fixed it myself! No idea how though haha

I went to have a look under the pedal last night and tried pulling and twisting what Im guessing is the 'switch'.

I had to turn the car around in the road to get more room with my door open and my neighbour told me it was working!!!

Woohoooo lol no idea how, maybe it was just loose??

But that saved me a bit of money :D

Anyone want theirs done? Apparently I have magic hands lol

Sounds like it could be loose. I'd be wary as it might rattle again and stop working. Might be worth checking it for the next couple of days make sure it's all good.

Skills. Rich could put your magic hands to many, many uses. I'd advise against further enquiry.

Rich has rapey hands, and callous' from his Boy Scout days practising knots !!!!!!

Well I'm not quite the mechanic that I thought I was! Half way home the bloody EPC light came on and it's stopped working again!Tried to fiddle about with it again but it's not having any of it. Guess I'm on the hunt for a mechanic tomorrow.... :( :(

Skills. Rich could put your magic hands to many, many uses. I'd advise against further enquiry.
id rather not know thanks!! :)

Like I said, it sounds like it's on the way out. Get yourself an eBay job in my opinion and DIY it. I'm hoping to have a tutorial up soon.

just find the most updated model available for your car and fit it. I once put in one from a mk4 golf built about the same time and it worked. only changed it when I took out the dash and the job was made a lot easier!! bear in mind though that the switch not only controls the brakes but also sends signals to your ecu,,, so beware geoff

I've ordered one from eBay which says it suits my car year and type so fingers crossed it will be the right one!

just find the most updated model available for your car and fit it. I once put in one from a mk4 golf built about the same time and it worked. only changed it when I took out the dash and the job was made a lot easier!! bear in mind though that the switch not only controls the brakes but also sends signals to your ecu,,, so beware geoff
what do you mean by ecu? Sorry this is my first car and I'm not used to the lingo yet, haha

the ecu is the acronym for electronic control unit which basically does what it says on the tin. its what correlates all the sensor inputs and keeps your engine and to a certain extent your car in control. with any luck you wont ever have to delve any further into its workings as its a very deep pit. any wiser?? lets hope it stays that way, hee hee geoff

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a modified one of these for £8 you have to be careful you don't break it when replacing it.

It is easy to do though.

I got it off eBay think it was volks bits in Birmingham. It is green in colour.

If you need help pm me

I bought a modified one of these for £8 you have to be careful you don't break it when replacing it.

It is easy to do though.

I got it off eBay think it was volks bits in Birmingham. It is green in colour.

If you need help pm me

rocco man, I've seen the ones you mean on eBay. In what way are they modified? I know some of them claim to be 'less prone to failure'. The originals have a long history of packing up, and like I said I think VW made about 4 revisions in one year because they couldn't get them right.

they probably put ford ones in, hee hee