Has the Lupo had it's day?

Big Red

I few years back now I owned a VW Golf. It was fairly old, has a fair bit of trouble with it now and again, but loved it. For the past 7 or so years now I've driven a Ford KA. Some might booo but when I bought her she'd only done 4'000K - she's now been clocked, sometimes travelling over 400-500 miles a month - and hasn't broken down once. Lucky, maybe.

Anyways, moving on...

The time has come (I think) to look for a replacement. I know they're not being manuafactured anymore, but love VW Lupos. So I was thinking of getting one, though I know it'd have to be a few years old now. I'll be looking for a relatively cheap one (between 2 to 4K) with the lowest mileage I can as I can travel a lot.

My questions are, for anyone who might want to offer a bit of friendly advice:

1) Can you still get parts for Lupos relatively easily?

2) How reliable is a Lupo likely to be now given their age?

Will have to do a bit of steady motorway driving on and off.

3) Should I consider a Fox instead?

An UP! would be way to pricey for me at the minute.

4) Obviosly I'd be buying 2nd hand, so would there be anything

specifically I should look out for?

Will check back in later guys and gals :)

Big Red.

1) Yes - only really random items you can't get (Ie SE badges)

2) Very reliable if looked after. The only major thing I have had on mine during the three years of ownership is the egr valve.

3) Not really. Not good value for money. Build quality issues.

4) To look out for...

Check gearbox operates correct.
Good Service History
Make sure the clutch pedal is in the correct position and not stiff to operate. (This also affects polo's Ibiza etc.)
Make sure roof gutters are not rusty.
Accident damage. (Has it been declared and is there pictures of the damage before repair?)

Edited by lupo1.0se
  • Like 1

Y don't you just replace the engine ? Yes it's expensive but in the long run you still have the lupo you love. I have an arosa what my dad bought me for my first ever car my dad he always wanted to buy my first car Sadley he passed away in an accident last year my arosa is more then just a car its more apart f my dad so when the time comes it dies il just replace the engine because it really means a lot to me.

lupos are easy to get parts for under the hood as they are basically 6N polos.

some items cost more than others but they are fairly priced.

also Foxes are gay.

My old Lupo was pretty good on the motorways but it was a SDI which is kinda what it does best.. sitting at 90kmph and doing almost 80mpg

1.4 S model ones are ok, but do not appeal to me. they seem bad on fuel and slow.. ish. a 1l is cool. cheap to run, reliable etc.

If you are willing to pay, then look for a good TDi.

Great for the motorway, good on fuel and cheap tax if you buy the right year.

A £200 remap will add fun too.

1.4 S model ones are ok, but do not appeal to me. they seem bad on fuel and slow.. ish. a 1l is cool. cheap to run, reliable etc.

Have you actually driven an S? They're pretty nippy for their modest 75 horses & pretty good on fuel, it's the sports that are buggers for drinking the juice.

• Like 1

I few years back now I owned a VW Golf. It was fairly old, has a fair bit of trouble with it now and again, but loved it. For the past 7 or so years now I've driven a Ford KA. Some might booo but when I bought her she'd only done 4'000K - she's now been clocked, sometimes travelling over 400-500 miles a month - and hasn't broken down once. Lucky, maybe.

Anyways, moving on...

The time has come (I think) to look for a replacement. I know they're not being manuafactured anymore, but love VW Lupos. So I was thinking of getting one, though I know it'd have to be a few years old now. I'll be looking for a relatively cheap one (between 2 to 4K) with the lowest mileage I can as I can travel a lot.

My questions are, for anyone who might want to offer a bit of friendly advice:

1) Can you still get parts for Lupos relatively easily?

2) How reliable is a Lupo likely to be now given their age?

Will have to do a bit of steady motorway driving on and off.

3) Should I consider a Fox instead?

An UP! would be way to pricey for me at the minute.

4) Obviosly I'd be buying 2nd hand, so would there be anything

specifically I should look out for?

Will check back in later guys and gals :)

Big Red.

Great questions:

1. Generally speaking yes, parts aren't exactly an issue with Lupo's and if you look there's plenty of people manufacturing aftermarket replacements for bodywork as well as mechanical. I've never found it particularly hard to find a part.

2. Very very reliable. Even the little 1L's are reliable. I thrashed the arse off mine in truth and I never had ANY problems with the engine. I've seen newer cars struggling to start in the cold, my 1L Lupo started every day, first time. Great car, and I miss it a lot. I now have an SDI, which in similar fashion starts every time beautifully. In truth, the only thing that goes on Lupo's are disposable parts and you'll have that on any car.

3. No chance. They are considered a blot on Volkswagen's rather successful history. They were a car built to a budget and I've heard from more than one source that they used parts manufactured by another company on the cheap (not naming names) which is where the build quality issues arise from.

4. Check the gearbox obviously, also check the clutch, it shouldn't be stiff. Anything else should be easily noticeable, such as an EGR valve issues. Any misfiring might be a dodgy HT lead. Check for little bubbles of rusting on the roof (as said above near the gutter). You'll find some Lupos have absolutely no rust whatsoever, and others get quite a bit on the roof on one or both sides. Service history. Also, big one, quite serious, ask about the cambelt and ask if they have a stamp or invoice. I bought one with a cambelt that was only a year old, but the seller had no invoice, or stamp to prove this had been done. I took it to my garage and they couldn't verify the age of the belt so I just paid and had it done for peace of mind. The last thing you want is your cambelt going. Check internal light, heater controls, electric windows (if applicable) and central locking. If you want to be thorough, check the anti-hijack switch too. I didn't and mine was dicky till I got it fixed about 2 weeks ago. Check the spare wheel isn't bald (one I've seen a few times with second hand cars I've considered), that's 3 points straight off. Also there should be a warning triangle, it might not be there as my first Lupo didn't come with one but my second did. Obviously check the seats for rips in the cloth and also check for fag burns, on the floors and roof too.

Good luck :)

• Like 1