My black 1.0L- GONE! VW replacement..

JBarr

Ya, it is a shame, But it really could have been a lot worse. As people say "You can repair a car, but cant repair a life"...

Edited by NERO

spun my loop 4 times now

1st time was first time id done a roundabout in my car had seen my boss do one at 60mph

didn't work at 50mph for me later found out my boss used to race v8 touring cars :/

2nd touched puddle on left corner (no dammage)

3rd touched puddle on left corner (no dammage)

next night hit a badger at 60mph on a strait road on dip beam (bent rad smashed rad fan n slam panel and cracked lower bumper)

4th touched ice on left corner sent me in to a ****ing tree :/ (crushed crash panel split front number plate broke headlight's and indicator panel)

i don't like left corner's any more :'(

or badgers

total cost of repairs 20-25 cable ties :P

managed to fix all of them without spending a penny

Edited by SamEdwardSwain1

Shame, they look lovely! Yeah check for clearance on your rear struts/springs etc looks like serious rubbing damage.

Ya, it is a shame, But it really could have been a lot worse. As people say "You can repair a car, but cant repair a life"...

Yeah man for sure!

looks like you had some rubbing issues! always check clearance on the back of the wheel!!!

glad you are safe and nothing major happened!

Not at all man! The other rear has no 'scrub' on sidewall, tread or rim. I think where I was turning right on the round about and it was the left rear, it blew out (back stepped out alot) then either rubbed because it had blown, or where I drove it 0.5-1 mile to a layby I knew was coming up, it tore it apart even more than the actual blown out.

spun my loop 4 times now

1st time was first time id done a roundabout in my car had seen my boss do one at 60mph

didn't work at 50mph for me later found out my boss used to race v8 touring cars :/

2nd touched puddle on left corner (no dammage)

3rd touched puddle on left corner (no dammage)

next night hit a badger at 60mph on a strait road on dip beam (bent rad smashed rad fan n slam panel and cracked lower bumper)

4th touched ice on left corner sent me in to a ****ing tree :/ (crushed crash panel split front number plate broke headlight's and indicator panel)

i don't like left corner's any more :'(

or badgers

total cost of repairs 20-25 cable ties :P

managed to fix all of them without spending a penny

Okay?

hey man lucky lucky.....was it fronts or rears that rubbed?

did you find out what it was rubbing on?

.....check all your brake lines before you put em back on if it was front

None of them rubbed man, except a tiny bit arch scrub on outsides hitting big bumps. I don't think they will be going back on. Looking to sell/swap them for something different. Either in their current state (2 good, 1 usable and one ****ed tyre) Or with 2 basicly new and 2 good tyres.

So if anyone is interested let me know? Looking for something like a staggered set of 13" Classics 7's&8's, minilites 13x7", starmags 13x7". Basicly some cool 13's as swaps

Shame, they look lovely! Yeah check for clearance on your rear struts/springs etc looks like serious rubbing damage.

They are really nice wheels, but as you can see in thread I get bored of wheels and now with the tyre situation looking for something different. There wasn't any rubbing at all. I'll get a picture of the other rear inside to show you guys! ahha

Maybe it rubbed on the previous owner's car & weakened it.

Nope they weren't used by the previous owner and this tyre was fine (exxcept puncture). I picked them up with only this tyre that was usable. There was another of the same brand/size tyre that had also blown the bead (nowhere near as bad) already on there, but I couldn't afford to replace it and thought nothing about it maybe blowing. I think it's just stretching cheap rubber. That's why if I sort tyres and run them until I can sell/swap them they will be receiving 2 dunlops, not budgets.

I think it's just stretching cheap rubber. That's why if I sort tyres and run them until I can sell/swap them they will be receiving 2 dunlops, not budgets.

Ah yeah makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Been really busy lately, completely forgot about updating the thread.

Shouldn't really meantion this as it will bring hate on this forum but ah well! I decided car was too high on rear and ended up cutting a coil (only half coil hight due to position) of the rear springs and the 5mm? Was noticeable, even with standard wheels on, the tuck looked equal.

Sorted tyres for the bandeds about a week ago? been on the car again, one morning came out to get to work and one of the tyres was randomly flat! Pumped back up, whipped it off, no leaks from bead/rim, no punctures either. Completely baffled.

Anyway that's another issue these bandeds have caused, fed up with them to be honest, quite a bit of money, quite alot of grief, bit too wide for the front of the car. So earlier tonight I swapped them.

For the moment car is back on the original 5 spoke alloys, new wheel updates will be up as soon as paint and 2 tyres are sorted for the new wheels.

Hopefully a friend is sorting window tints for the rear 3 windows, taken stickers off front bumper and when tints are done the stickers on rear screen will disappear too. May chuck some random pictures up tomorrow at a normal time haha.

Edited by JBarr

You were running stretch dude, the likelihood is that the tyres didn't have a decent enough seal onto the rim. Probably nitmthenwheels fault, more the tyre place.

Right quite few changes, basically I ended up swapping the banded, but for another set of bandeds :P These are old 13" polo steelies banded to 7 and 7.5J, thought have better clearance, make car drive better and get away from stretch. Plan kinda failed when I mocked up the rears with no tyres, looked like they were ridiculously pokey. Showed a friend the next day and he reckoned that's were they old bandeds sat.

So started to do maths, other may head scratches they were either et4 or et-2 depends whether they started life as 4.5J or 5J. Old bandeds were 8J et17. So they would work just needed stretched tyres again for the rears (165/55) . Few days passed waiting on them whilst I sprayed up the bandeds and left them to dry and the two 175/50 yokos sitting in garage. Nankangs finally showed today and with help from friends dad with a bead cheater tyres were on.

Many will say they look too small and arch gap is too big (is a little in rear) but I really like it and it's my car after all haha. Also me and mate needed new gear sticks mine was knackered and he wanted a rally shifter type thing on his tuned 106 GTI. 15 minutes old set of bent BMX bars and some bmx bodging we were both sorted.

Enough of me ranting he's the pictures:

46390_10151153129009142_467510711_n.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

hellalow.jpg

Looks nice mate a bit lower and would look fresh

Thanks man, I agree, lower would be better, but already cut a coil off the rear springs and fronts are all the way down. Has to be one of the most uncomfortable cars for feeling every bump, don't think taking the helpers out would be a great idea and to add my subframe is only 1.6 inch from the floor haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Not updated this in a while, not too many changes have come around thanks to the joys of being skint haha. But few weeks ago this happened to the rear springs ignore my cheesy grin haha):

IMG_1616-1.jpg

IMG_1621-1.jpg

IMG_1623-1.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Coil and half, so far, rear still isn't low enough but least the arch gap now matches the front, as you can see by previous updates, when 13" bandeds were on.

Un-seized my coilovers! Such a pig of a job, but needed doing as guessed they hadn't been move much in the 2 years they have been on there, after a few hours work, all good and greased up, so able to take the helper springs out when I want more lows.

However worked out if I was to remove current arch gap I need to drop the car another inch. It already sits 1.5" from the floor, that would mean only being half an inch from the floor! I know some guys on here run that low static but I can bearly get around as is, I have to avoid half the roads in my local area, not for comfort of not scraping because I get stuck! It bangs and scrapes on most roads I go down.

So decided when I can afford it to go bigger profiles on tyres and then drop it to the same hight it currently sits at. 165/65 is what I'm thinking, I am worried this will look a bit ballony even on 7 and 7.5J wheels but has to be done to remove some of the horrid arch gap. New tyres are only £120 for 4, before anyone says new wheels, I don't know when I will be able to even afford the tyres.

Anyway actual updates, my friends found the centre caps from my old seafoam bandeds, they really liked it. I hated it but it was nice to cover the bolts, so got me thinking. Found a whole bunch of spare bmx stickers and went to town on the centres. I'm not usually a fan of sticker bombing but really pleased with the out come:

stickered.jpg

Purchased some tinted front indicators off 'lupo1.0se' and only got round to fitting them the other day:

IMG_1686.jpg

Had a problem with rear srubbing on both sets of bandeds, even with slightly rolled arches and horrific arch gap, so bashed the rears out some more with rubber mallet, the dirtystancing way and also took something else out of the dirtystancing tip jar:

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

Cambered the rear, looks ace in my opinion and should be able to clear new tyres so much easier! Maybe even get it lower. So heres how it sits on my driver currently:

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

Will update if anything else changes

Edited by JBarr

:whistle:

:thumbup:

This got me very annoyed the other night:

FFS.jpg

Spent 3 hours scrapping, then jet washing the underside of my car, idiot friend of mine took us down 2 shocking roads that night, one so cambered and potholey you ideally need a 4x4, so it was a case of scrape, wheel spin, get grip, scrape, go up grass bank, slide, scrape, wheelspin etc. Then the picture, the road had a slight camber and some mud in the middle, ended up losing power and slowing down, got out to see that ^, there was twice as much wedged under the engine/subframe, it got everywhere. Cleared with a log, got 20m down the road and same thing, so ended up reversing down a tight, muddy single track steep hill. Was not happy to say the least. We shall never follow her down roads we have no idea about again.

Anyway after all that, 2 days ago and spent yesterday treating the under/wheels. Went out today and found myself a dub buddy:

dubbuddies.jpg

That is all