Converting Power Steering to Manual

I'm looking at improving economy, free up a little power, improve steering feel and remove a potential failure point on my TDI.

I want to do a swap to removing my power steering. I wouldn't be happy just removing my power steering belt and want to remove the system completely. Is this possible?

Is the hydraulic system completely isolated from the brakes? Is the power steering belt connected to other parts like the waterpump/alternator?

Did early or base spec Lupos/Arosas come with manual steering racks I can use or would something from a similar age Polo like this http://www.ebay.co.u...=item335bfd84b3 be suitable?

Its proven on Myth-busters that it wont really effect performance or economy.

The earlier E spec lupos came with NON PAS racks.

Im not entirely sure about the Brakes or alternator but i know the water pump (on mine at least) is powered by the cam-belt.

If you know a mechanic with the auto data program they could easily print you off a sheet with the belt diagrams showing you what the belts powering and what not

I actually considered this as i would like to feel the road a bit better myself, but never really had the time to really think about doing it.

Let me know how you get on :)

tbh I've found my lupo to have excellent feel & the PAS not to interfere too much. I wasn't even sure it had power steering when I first got it lol it was that much better than my previous clio

tbh I've found my lupo to have excellent feel & the PAS not to interfere too much. I wasn't even sure it had power steering when I first got it lol it was that much better than my previous clio

It is rather heavy compared with some cars, last summer i helped some friends fix up and sell on some cars, and of course i had to drive some of them to move them around the yard and what not, and in some of the cars (especially a 9N2 polo) the steering was unbelievably light!

It is rather heavy compared with some cars, last summer i helped some friends fix up and sell on some cars, and of course i had to drive some of them to move them around the yard and what not, and in some of the cars (especially a 9N2 polo) the steering was unbelievably light!

+1 on this, my folks have a mk4 gttdi and the steering is so light! lightest I've felt so far was a C2 VTS

By the time you have paid for a new non pas rack and your labour time doing this then you might recoup some of the gains from loosing the weight over the next 5-8 years lol

i always get better mpg buy only putting in a tenner at a time, thus carrying less weight = more mpg.

remove side mirrors

remove windy wipers

take back seat and passenger seat out

remove spare if you have breakdown cover. even more mpg

block your egr valve off? not sure if improves mpg but sure it runs better, ive done mine

Edited by jonisonvespa