Lupo gti, reliabilty with higher mileage?

d4n91

In my opinion, theres nothing wrong with a car thats been regularly revved to the redline.

...provided it's never revved hard from cold and has regular oil changes.

I'd rather have a car thats clearly been thrashed and well maintained, than one that's been driven like a granny, but with oil changes every 10k miles.

Mine hasn't missed a beat and is now on 107,000. I'm very heavy on my cars and i've done 30 odd thousand (relatively) faultless miles in it.

Hi pal,

My orginal engine began to use a lot of oil at 90,000 miles, regular oil changes at every 5000 miles, had the car from almost new so fsh.

purchased a second engine with 60,000 miles and fsh out of a damaged car and swapped them over.

It really is the luck of the draw as mechanically the orginal engine was pampered, I will strip it down when I get time to see if there is any wear.

I have had mine now 9 years, dont think i will ever sell!!

Right just going back to the fuel question this is what im getting:-

Morrisons 95ron - 210miles (33 litres of fuel)

Shell V Power 98ron - Still Awaiting Results (33 litres of fuel)

I do 40miles of motorway driving 5 times a week, drive between 60 & 70mph.

Edited by forsh21

I used to put anything in, since the engine swap I only put in shell v power or bp ultimate.

It's about 4 to 5 pound more than 95ron per tank.

Well worth it in my opinion

well were selling our lupo gti and thats done 50k and has been fine yet our other car a fabia vrs which i brought low mileage and now is neally hitting the 100k mark and thats spot on.

id buy a high mileage car but only to 100k and it would have be cheap but a really clean example. Yet you have to remember with higher mileage cars is its not just the engine which has done that its the gearbox suspension all the bushes steering rack etc etc.

Like mentioned you could buy two identical cars etc and one could be a right pain in the backside!

Depends what you want more a cheaper higher mileage car with more wear or a bit more expensive but fewer mileage?? For me i like to think when i come to sell it whats the mileage going to be and stuff. tuff one really.

Yet you have to remember with higher mileage cars is its not just the engine which has done that its the gearbox suspension all the bushes steering rack

Lots of low mileage short journeys causes far more wear than fewer long distance ones. Nothing worse than a ten year old car thats been driven round towns all its life

fair point to that on the low mileage car it also depends on how far it went tho. e.g ours is at 50k but dosnt get used that often but when it does it has a 30 mile round trip and thats all its used for,and thats 35mins driving to work..Depends on the low mileage car how it used if for instance its started up driven a mile to the shops then back and thats it yes that isnt very good.

Update:-

Right just going back to the fuel question this is what im getting:-

Morrisons 95ron - 210miles (33 litres of fuel)

Shell V Power 98ron - 235miles (33 litres of fuel) but i was i a rush one morning :(

I do 40miles of motorway driving 5 times a week, drive between 60 & 70mph.

Pretty please with the extra miles not happy with the price of vpower tho :( but its vpower ahead, also noticed the car seems to run better on vpower.

I bought mine with 80k on.

only done 5k so far but its never missed a beat.

as long as it has a good service history (i've got full VW) you'd expect it to be running sweet.

Just had its yearly service at my local garage and even though i thought it was running fine its now so much better.

I'm getting 100miles from £15 of v power (£1.38 here) so 10.8ltrs back down to as soon as the light comes on and i put another £15 in it. mostly b roads and the odd 25mile a road.

Mines running at 145k at the mo and still going strong! Same gearbox but had alot of things changed on her, regular servicing and she will go on forever! Runs better then my old Gti which only have 60k.. :D

Mines running at 145k at the mo and still going strong! Same gearbox but had alot of things changed on her, regular servicing and she will go on forever! Runs better then my old Gti which only have 60k.. :D

Thats cus the early ones like mine and yours are the rally versions! ;)

It was also the first vw engine to make use of Vermiculargraphit in the block casting. They only added it for 600 engines built between 1999 and 2001 to qualify the block for rally use. the strengthened blocks were NDT tested and x-rayed at the factory for defects and should resist bore wear better than the standard softer block. This also assisted these engine to cope with pressures & heat generated when RPM reaches 9800, which is safe to hit when you remove the rev limiter when reprogramming the ECU.

350 mile wow I get 220 mile if I'm lucky and I do 45mile a day which is mostly motorway miles, were am I going wrong also I use fuel from morrisons could this be why?

Exact same as me mate, 40 quid of V-Power sees me get about 220 miles and I do 50 miles a day on the motorway too.