Pure White Headlights! (Staying legal)

beska133

Hi all,

Im after some pure white looking headlights, that are very bright on the road, im tried all the halfords premium ultra brilliance and philips x-treme vision and they are all yellow looking and are yellow on the road.

If you see the new bmws, they all have pure white headlights and light up the road well,

Please recomend me some which i can pick up tomorrow! (Running out of £40 a pop for 'the best headlight you can buy' crap)

Only if they are left in from next year , it takes all of 5 minutes to swap back to halogen bulbs for that one day a year. And there is no need to remove or hide the transformer as they can be there for off road use.

There are no other bulbs to give you that white look yet beska. Osram have a 20% upgrade on halogen with their Cool Blue range (tried) but at only 4000 kelvin they still look yellow next to hid lamps. Ring offer the xenonmax which im currently on and are brighter by lots but by no means white. The coated blue ones of any other brand will generally give you less light output in my experience as all they are doing is masking the yellowness from the low kelvin temperature they have. The Osrams above at 20% over standard were my only choice I liked but I only had them in in summer.

HiD route at the moment I think would be the only way to get what your after.

Cheers for that man, i got a pair of philips xenon ultra blue ones today which are miles brighter than the philips ultra vision!

Im going to do more research into the HID bulbs, but i red somewhere they are legal if you have them correctly aligned or something,

But in the new bmws, they all have pure white lights, so how are they legal? they must be hids,

I do alot of night driving so seeing where your going is obviously of huge importance! haha

Do you only drive at night in the dry? Pure white light is not as good in poor weather.

The whiteness of the light doesn't equate to the quality of the light. The BMW ones will be HID with washers and self levelling kit from factory.

Year on year the winners of the best bulbs in Autoexpress tests are Philips xtreme and Osram Nightbreaker.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/258424/headlamp_bulbs_tested.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/61032/bulb_test_h7_50.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/243109/bulbs_we_test_30.html

I've used the Nightbreakers and they are great in good weather, not so good in heavy rain, fog or snow though.

Yeah I've had night breakers for a week, first time in heavy motorway spray, they were abit poo tbh. And you can't just take them out for your MOT, coppers (round my way anyway) are onto them aswell!

in relation to HID's

i know for a MOT the bulbs cant be over 60k or 80k (not 100%)

this is what an mot inspector said :)

• The rules for mot's say that for new cars they must be self levelling and have headlamp washers. Says nowt about retro fitting to an older car.
    I'm getting some anyway, my lights are kak, going to get 3000k so it's yellow :P

Edited by shaunsprules

Year on year the winners of the best bulbs in Autoexpress tests are Philips xtreme and Osram Nightbreaker.

Do they do longevity tests, as in my experience both those bulbs blow very soon after fitting when used normally so are useless really :s So much so that Osram had to rush through the nightbreaker + to try and overcome the problem ! I have had 1 set of nightbreaker + exchanged by osram already !

• Like 1

I used to use Nightbreakers in my old company cars & they lasted quite well, over a year & I was doing 35k +, so plenty of night driving going on.

If you want to loose the "yellow" look, change the side light bulbs too, so its a bit more matching.

I have some PIAA in my gti to match the OEM hid's, pretty close matching for a side light

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIAA-PLATINUM-5w-SIDE-BULBS-VOLKSWAGEN-LUPO-GTI-1-4-16V-/310348182370?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4842317362

I had Nightbreakers in my Transit which I sold after 18 months and the bulbs were still fine, got 2 years on the Nightbreakers in the Corolla. Deffo shorter than normal bulbs though. I've had 5 years out of standard 55w ones.

HID's and Xenon's are a pain for any other road users IMO. one of my friends has Xenon style bulbs in his car and there pure white light and they are not at all blinding. i have trouble seeing light and dark things at once so often get dazzled by lights but his set (properly aligned) give me no issues when he is driving behind me.

Because the sidelight and headlight are one unit on a standard lupo, if you get some white LED 501s it makes the yellow when looking at the car appear less, doesn't really affect beam colour from the drivers seat.

Only if they are left in from next year , it takes all of 5 minutes to swap back to halogen bulbs for that one day a year. And there is no need to remove or hide the transformer as they can be there for off road use.

I think you'll find that you need to fully remove the kit as is stated in the MOT rules.

If they know you've been running a kit and swapped back they'll fail it too.

my friend has 12k hids, and he p*sses me off as they blind me as i drive past, currently i've got some philips xenon look untra blue, there by far better than halfords untra brilliance, and better than the osram ones, but when he takes his car for an mot he just changes the blubs and leaves the balist boxes in

Also i have led sidelights, but they just make my headlights look yellow, but at night they match with the philips blubs now

Afaik, it does. I have a mate with them and his passed his MOT.

It will for now, the new regs dont take effect until January.

In any case, the temperature of the lights wouldnt make a difference, unless the tester deemed they were actually blue lights