ALTERNATIVE TO HID'S

mccrindle

that's a shame! i've seen quite a lot of threads on the web about them being made illegal and thats why i thought it'd be worth asking if there was alternatives. Hopefully something will be created to as good a standard as hid's to overcome the problem (:

not sure to be honest, i just guessed if the style was similar so would the output. :wacko:

The light is generated in a totally different way, halogen bulbs work essentially by passing a voltage through a wire which glows white hot.

High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs on the other hand work by passing a super high voltage (approx 23,000V to start them) through a gas which in turn fluoresces. This is the reason that HID's need a ballast unit to start them and why when turning them on the flash brightly at first, then dim slightly and then get brighter as the gas warms up and the voltage output by the ballast turns down.

ok, cheers for the info treblet. Think i'll have a good look at those osram nightbreakers and also the other type of bulbs mentioned :)