Nearly 2 years later! New Lupo Gti Owner

Pottster

Hello everyone.

Got myself a Lupo Gti 2001 plate, in Black.

It is virtually as it came off the production line albeit with just over 100k on the clock and a set of Lenso alloys (I’ve got the original Brathusts as well). It's also been lowered a tad and has a beesting ariel but apart from that it has no other mods and I’m keeping it that way.

I am absolutely impressed with the build quality, driving experience and the overall fun element of the car.

It will be used as a 3rd car, a bit of fun at the weekend and a handy replacement when the Leon TDi (workhorse) or the TT (wifes) need some attention.

I’ve always been a huge fan of VW derived cars and for a good ten years I hankered after getting a Corrado but the wife ended up with the TT so didn’t really see the need and opted for something that will be a bit of fun and I can tinker a bit with, but something that won’t be a real pig to maintain etc. Was on the verge of getting a MK2 Golf Gti but the sale never happened and I realised I could get the Lupo Gti for more or less the same dosh and better value for money I think.

Also when doing my research I realised that not many Gti’s were made so hopefully it will maintain a decent sale price if I need to part with it.

Hopefully I can enjoy it for many years to come, and the info on this forum has been first class and hopefully I can make a contribution too.

I will pop a few pics up later.

L1060539.jpg
L1060538.jpg L1060536.jpg

Edited by Pottster

• 2 months later...

Just an update on what I've been/had to get done.

Splashed out on a new boot handle and interior door handles - purely cosmetic as the original ones were looking shabby and I'd rather get the new bits now while still easily available and these were the two things that let the car down.

New front grill and badges - I got some red beading and while fitting I found out that a clip was already snapped off (the grill never really looked quite right and I know know why it sat a tad wonky) again I think is wise to get hold of this part while still easy to get hold of, the new grill looks smart and I'm not bothering with the beading as I think this will cause the clip to stress and eventually snap again.

New radiator - old one had worn out after 10 years.

Wind deflectors - small mod, look smart and will make having the windows down less noisy etc

and plenty of TLC, washing and buffing up etc

all in all its cost me about £500 - things soon add up!

Next on my list are some new mats as the old ones are looking shabby.

Fingers crossed its just wear and tear from now on.

I'll pop some pics up in a mo.

Edited by Pottster

Many thanks for whoever is tidying up the pic sizes and arrangements :shades: ,

I tried my best but photbucket does my head in :wacko:

Edited by Pottster

• 10 months later...

Just a quick update now I've had it just over a year, so its insured and taxed again :-)

flew through MOT and its had a service, also needed a new battery

the only other slight nag is that the boot lock has stopped working with the central locking :-( - don't know if its just being temperamental or is actually buggered and it has a habit of blowing the windscreen wiper fuses - I suspect its a sloppy connection in the indicator stalks

thankfully it's garaged and only really take it out at weekend or when the other cars are getting services, but hope to take it on a good few drives and hopefully to a show some day

Runnings costs are in the region of about £800 a year and that includes absolutely everything (only doing about 1500 miles in it) - this year may be a bit cheaper as I've had one or two one off jobs done in the first year

Edited by Pottster

Hi,

Lovely Lupo :) I've kept my little baby completly standard well apart from the red tubing around the grill like a mk 1 golf and some red dice on the dust caps (that surprisingly are all still there after almost a year :) )

I was thinking of changing the door handles, was it expensive? And was it a very fiddley job?

I think this site is going to be a bad thing for me, the temptation to put her on coil overs and put some sexy wheels on is getting stronger :/

I think this site is going to be a bad thing for me, the temptation to put her on coil overs and put some sexy wheels on is getting stronger :/

Oh yes, you see some wonderful thngs on Lupos on here :P There are some very creative people out there.

I spend most of my time on Clublupo feeling jealous :P

I was thinking of changing the door handles, was it expensive? And was it a very fiddley job?

Not that expensive - I can't rember off hand but about 150 quid for new handles (both the grab handles and the ones that open the door) whcih I purchased from lupoboz on here http://forums.clublu...showtopic=67697 - not fiddly at all - there is a guide to doing it on here somewhere.

Edited by Pottster

Nice motor pal,

Welcome to the fold

Very interesting read. You have given me a lot of inspiration for my 2001 black Lupo GTI which I will be collecting next week.

Thanks, pop some pics up and let us know how your getting on with yours :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

Next bit of work required is quite a tricky one. Both rear wheel arches have a bit if rust bubbling up :angry2: .

Thankfully I can get in into a large garage and on some stands to perform the operation.

The only thing I'm not that confident of is finishing the job off and getting a good blend with the old and new paintwork - I suppose a bit of care with some rubbing compund will do the trick, the main thing is removing the rust and stopping it spreading before it does any real damage.

• 8 months later...

Just a quick update on how things have been - still absolutely love this car,

Here is how the wheel arch issue was resolved http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91471&hl=

No real major issue's although the driver side door had dropped, turns out the door bracket had worn, so this has been replaced and has made a huge difference as I hadn't noticed how badly the door had been shutting!

No plans for any other changes, I have promised myself to drive it a bit more that I did last year and want to take it on a few long drives and enjoy it!

Oh I nearly forgot, I also got some new indicator and wiper stalks put on and as well making it feel like a new car again, it solved the issue with the wiper fuse blowing and the issue I had with the boot lock has resolved itself, I think it just got out of sync.

Edited by Pottster

• 4 months later...

Well I'm going to get that long drive I was mentioning, it's going to be included in the Discovery Channel show 5th Gear!

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/95458-lupo-gti-for-fifth-gear-filming-next-tuesday/

I'll be driving it down from Durham to Castle Combe (Wiltshire I think!) on Monday and will hand it over to them for filming on the Tuesday and then driving straight back up afterwards.

I am pleased that I managed to keep it looking like new inside and out and no modification apart from slightly lower springs than the originals.

What are the chances of it konking out :huh:

Edited by Pottster
  • Like 1

I hope you're getting a blast round the circuit yourself to sweeten the deal :thumbsup:

I hope you're getting a blast round the circuit yourself to sweeten the deal :thumbsup:

That would be nice, but they are taking good care of me while I'm down there.

I dunno if they will be using the track for the road test or perhaps the private estate or local public country roads?