advice when buying a gti

plattsy90

Apart from the normal things to look for when buying a car full stop.

Rust/ bubbling on the roof guttering as well as the spoiler.

Does the car go into all the gears without clunking and whining? (including whining when in gear)

When pressing the clutch does it feel ruff when pressing it down, like its grinds in the middle, if so the pedal box could be on the way out. (that will probs make more sense if it happens on the car)

Im running out of un-usual things now, alenator whine.

IF it's been lowered check the arches and the wishbones etc etc

Hope this helps, I'll have a think for more.

Also check the xenons work correctly and flash the full beams to check the flap operates and doesnt stick,

Door microswitchs check the light comes on when opening both doors and boot, might be small but they are over £100 to replace and its something to haggle the price,

Starting motor can stick so listen out for that.

hello i was just after advice on what to look for when buying a lupo gti? as this will be my first.

thanks sam

Buy mine :D

Door microswitchs check the light comes on when opening both doors and boot, might be small but they are over £100 to replace and its something to haggle the price,

I knew there was something else. Check that if you leave the lights and open the door the alarm goes off to tell you that you've done so.

Ah GTI's have a hydrolic clutch so ignore the pedal box clutch thingy.

If it's a 5 speed box, look out especially for these because they melt like chocolate.

The exhaust (centre exit) can drop over time too.

Yeah GTI's don't have the pedal box issue, nor is there a problem with the 5 speed gearbox. It is not that same as the lousy Polo GTI one. People only dislike it as there was the later, more common 6 speed with an extra gear. Never seen many problems with either gearboxes and the engines are pretty robust aswell, very common to see GTI's approaching the 100k mark. Just like any car make sure it has a good service history, with Lupos, they need a new cambelt every 4 years or 40,000 miles - whichever comes first (its good practice also to replace the water-pump at the same time).

Even the youngest GTI's are getting on for 6 years old now, so most of the ones you will look at will have all the common niggles, including;

Broken door microswitches, meaning the interior light will stay on when the doors are opened,

Rust causing paint bubbling on the boot handle and door gutters,

Sqealing starter motor on start-up,

The third brake light not working, usually caused by water ingress, also causing bubbling on the spoiler around the light,

Creaking doors, needing new check straps,

Electric windows not functioning correctly, usually needing a new switch.

Brake pedal switch breaking or not being correctly adjusted, giving you and EPC light and no rear brake lights.

All of the above are pretty common and most are easy to rectify, but gives you room to barter the price down.

But make sure you also check that the bonnet, wings and doors are aluminium and not been replaced by cheaper steel ones. If they have it could mean it has been damaged in an accident. The aluminium panels are becoming rarer and obselete if replacements are needed.

Also check the headlights for damage and make sure they function correctly, as they are very expensive to replace.

Basic infomation on options and colours..

Most common colours are Silver and Black. Red is quite uncommon, then with Blue and Anthracite being very rare.

The cars will range from X reg (2000) to 55 reg (2005).

GTI's came with optional leather seats/ manual air-conditioning and electric sunroof. So having any of those is a bonus.

Prices have come down quite rapidly recently, meaning they range from £3,000 to £6,000, depending on age, condition, mileage etc.

With any car though, check for general wear and tear and make sure the mileage matches up to this, HPI check the car to make sure there is no out standing finace, not stolen, damaged etc. If possible plug the car into VAG-COM to check for any fault codes.

Hope this helps.

Some good information on here.

I'm not quite sure what the hang-up is with 100,000 miles on the clock (not in this thread but in others I've seen), modern engines like the ones in the Gti should easily have a good 200,000 plus miles in them if serviced regularly, have things replaced at the suggested intervals and are not abused.

What would you rather have? an engine with 70,000 miles on the clock with infrequent services and poorly maintained or one with 100,000 with regular servicing and a bit of TLC along the way.

Edited by Pottster

Some good information on here.

I'm not quite sure what the hang-up is with 100,000 miles on the clock (not in this thread but in others I've seen), modern engines like the ones in the Gti should easily have a good 200,000 plus miles in them if serviced regularly, have things replaced at the suggested intervals and are not abused.

What would you rather have? an engine with 70,000 miles on the clock with infrequent services and poorly maintained or one with 100,000 with regular servicing and a bit of TLC along the way.

I think it's just a common misconception that the engine will die after 100k. Obviously it won't and doesn't. But people prefer lower mileage cars and a VW stamp in their service book, what ever good that is?

But I agree, in 5-10 years time all GTI's will have 100-150k+ on them and people will still think the same.

Didn't realise the starter squealing was a common issue. I guess the only fix is a new one?

Yes, you would need a replacement. But it will only return in a couple of months.

Its a very common VW issue, there are many 'How to' guides on the internet on how to fix it, by cleaning and greasing it. But it will eventually come back.

If you buy a new starter motor it will probably take longer for it to squeal, compared to a reconditioned one.

Mine 'squeals' a little bit, more like a very quiet squark - nothing wrong at all with the starter motor - just adds a bit of character.

cheers for all the advice its a black gti with 60k on the clock. one owner from new hopefully its as good as it sounds on the advert

thanks sam

Good luck with the purchase, sounds like it could be good one.

Guest A20NWK

cheers for all the advice its a black gti with 60k on the clock. one owner from new hopefully its as good as it sounds on the advert

thanks sam

It's not in Leicester by any chance is it?