R32 or A3 2.0T?

BEP51

I think I'm with Mike M on this one.

If it were me I'd go for a 30th Anniversary Golf GTI, much nicer looking car and will definitely hold its value, look at the Mk4 Anniversary if you don't believe me!

Fair point on the price holding, last time I looked it was pretty much double the price of a normal gti.

get the a3 :) drive like a dream iv had a go in 3 and had a go in 1 golf audi hs a feel of luxury about it but the golf must say handles alot better.

better yet get him to buy a lupo gti and proper euro spec it lol think he will like that a little toy :)

Cool , what would "proper euro spec" consist of ? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

"dad these people on the internet on clublupo said you should get an r32!" oh well in that case son i must!

edit: dont mean to take the pi5s, but surely that will be his reaction???

Edited by marcusgrant

"dad these people on the internet on clublupo said you should get an r32!" oh well in that case son i must!

edit: dont mean to take the pi5s, but surely that will be his reaction???

I was just trying to see if anyone could come up with any sensible replies to the above cars as he is deciding between them, not another car. He didnt ask me to ask on here, i chose to to see if there are any other important factors that weve missed while comparing the cars. But in general it seems that we have looked at most aspects.

-Good to find that the A3 is a good drive 9with a very "tuneable engine" - i doubt this will happen as he is 54, semi-retired town/city person who likes to pretend he is very countryish by wearing a tweed jacket etc.

-That the R32 isnt the best snowgoing vehicle

-That the R32 is a very special - but expensive - vehicle and slightly more practical as it is shorter and more parkable.

Edited by BEP51

Would he be interested in remapping the Audi? He'd get 240+hp for a couple of hundred quid.

I will suggest it to him, but i think that he will say that if u can have the same power in the R32 and the security of the 4x4 system for the same price, then why?

But i will point it out to him as even the remapped audi would still be a more efficient choice.

Save a couple of K and get an A3 3.2 Quattro :coffee:

Or get an A3 2.0TFSI or TDI Quattro, best of both.

I was going to Say A3\S3 Quattro. :thumbsup:

How old is your Dad? If he's having difficulties parking his Volvo, is he sure he wants something more powerful? Maybe a Prius would fit the bill.

I was going to Say A3\S3 Quattro. :thumbsup:

How old is your Dad? If he's having difficulties parking his Volvo, is he sure he wants something more powerful? Maybe a Prius would fit the bill.

Hes 54, but his volvo tho diesel is still 163bhp standard. Problem is that it is an estate, very long with poor visibility and he has caused too much damage to it recently to warrant something so long again, hes reversed it into a rock damaging the corner of the bodywork the light and the bumper, reversed into another car (and not even noticed), driven forward into a bit of wall on our driveway destroying the two front radiators and bumper. All have been repaired perfectly by insurance. Combined with the number of times the front suspension parts have been replaced, the times the pulleys have gone, the water pump. the dashboard (£700 repair), now the driver door electrics. Hes had enough of the car, hes the one owner from new but its costing so much to repair so reguarly, it would be cheaper to have a less economical car that is smaller that holds its value, (his volvo, tho in very good condition, is only worth about £3500 if hes lucky)

hes fine with normal road driving, but he needs a shorter bonnet and rear to stop hitting things.

Thing is the A3 is still quite long, but hes off to test another R32 2moro in exeter and maybe an A3 in the afternoon.

Is the r32's turning circle hindered by the 4x4?

he had a look at the anniversary gti suggested above and didnt like it.

can the a3 TFSI be found with 4x4 too?

I'm with mike and treblet on this one. My mam and dad used to own a edition 30 mk5 and it is hands down one of the best cars if not thee best car they have had. I'd go

With the edition tbh

he had a look at the anniversary gti suggested above and didnt like it.

I'm with mike and treblet on this one. My mam and dad used to own a edition 30 mk5 and it is hands down one of the best cars if not thee best car they have had. I'd go

With the edition tbh

Thanks, but as above, he doesnt like it.

He really is only interested in the Two titled cars (after narrowing down from many) and i really only wanted the advice to give him for those.

To let anyone interested know, dad went and drove a 4 door, black, leather + satnav R32 and loved it!

Then i met him and we went for a test drive in an A3 2.0T, 3 door, S-line spec. one word, Dissapointing. it was twitchy and felt like it was on coilies despite riding high. the windscreen seems like a letterbok so far away, and yet still managed a claustrophobic feel. Poor quality interior plastics, incredibly annoying centre arm-rest. Seats were worst thing, we have both got home and still both have agonising pains in our lower backs. Very strange to find that the car wont start unless you depress the clutch? an antistall idea? However as a plus, it did have a very good powerful engine that pulls well, although a little play in the gearbox, where the R32 had none and the R32 apparently was a lot more torquey and pulled better in higher gears. The A3 engine is not smooth at varying speed in the lower gears, lifting your foot a tiny bit causes the car to decellerate sharply and not smoothly and makes it feel jumpy.

We concluded that the A3 feels sharp and bouncy the whole time, but the R32 is a far more civilised normal car unless you want it to go fast with a much smoother engine and gearbox. the interior was much nicer and not at all claustrophobic, but best of all were comfy seats!

He is test driving another R32 2moro, and awaiting a price to be confirmed for the one he saw today, however we were both thouroughly put off by the audi and wont continue looking at them. Not a good car.

the R32 apparently was a lot more torquey and pulled better in higher gears

One of the benefits of more cylinders :)

The clutch thing doesn't surprise me, hyundais have done it for ages. Saabs are worse, you need to have the car in reverse in order to take the keys out.

Glad your dad liked it, they are a nice looking car.