Lowering, What should i expect!?

Blitzerman

Right im seriously considering lowering my car in the near future!. What should i expect to go wrong when lowered?

Lower arms bending?

Ball joints breaking?

What other things may result as of being lowered?

and im talking Low Like Lupo loww! not 20mm :)

Obviously scraping will occur! :D

Drive shaft hitting the chassis, get a c notch before you go low. if you're thinking about driving around citys or anything forget it. speed bumps will trash your car lol.

More worried about the Poo road conditions around where i live, and where i go sometimes has those liek in the middle of the road half raised square weird speed bumps, but shud be able to go fthrough the middle of them! and im thinking low, but maybe not driveshaft hitting low! How low is drive shaft hitting low!?

I live out in the countryside. we don't call them roads around here there that bad hahaha! I cant think off the top of my head, like 60mm or something? someone else will prob know for definite answer.

gayyy thought it wud be lower than that :( FML. more work im guna have to do then! :/

Things do wear out faster with a lowered car, unless you do hub mods to get all the arms straight again. Not seen that done on a Lupo though.

I have a 1.4s (non sport) and I'd say the front was pretty low (bout two inches left to go down on ap coils) and I have no driveshaft problems, wheels rub on the inside of the arch on full lock though.

Things do wear out faster with a lowered car, unless you do hub mods to get all the arms straight again. Not seen that done on a Lupo though.

I have a 1.4s (non sport) and I'd say the front was pretty low (bout two inches left to go down on ap coils) and I have no driveshaft problems, wheels rub on the inside of the arch on full lock though.

When you say wear out quicker, What parts specifically? Expensive parts that are guna empty my wallet? :(

As far as I know its usually bushes etc that are put under more strain. I dont really know specific parts that are more likely to go. I dont think that they would be expensive though.

Im sure some one on here with more techincal knowlegde should be able to help.

well mine is lowered 120mm rear and about 90mm of front usually hear the exhaust scrape on uneven roads, but you want to be avoiding massive potholes well any potholes tbh especially at speed because i hear a MASSIVE solid bang and not quite sure what it is yet tbh. but i do drive mine everyday, just plan routes and know where to avoid otherwise you are f***ed haha

well mine is lowered 120mm rear and about 90mm of front usually hear the exhaust scrape on uneven roads, but you want to be avoiding massive potholes well any potholes tbh especially at speed because i hear a MASSIVE solid bang and not quite sure what it is yet tbh. but i do drive mine everyday, just plan routes and know where to avoid otherwise you are f***ed haha

That'll be your driveshaft hitting your chassis

You can expect a lot of cursing, and evasive driving. Worrying at times, scraping, wandering 'what's that noise..?', new noises, people saying it isn't low enough, scraping, damaging a fair bit of the underside, exhaust blowing, leaks, scraping, people saying that that's a wicked Polo mate, people asking how much you have lowered when it's different for every person and wheel, to get laid "Get Low Get Laid" ha, old people to look at you with disgust, people to look around when they hear you scraping, people to look at your car, people to laugh at your car "ha look at his tiny wheels", fat people to ruin your car, scrubbing, arch rubbing, crack bumper, drive bit slower, and scraping but who cares... Its lowered, Hell yeh.

There's what I have experienced. Now you can too.

Also no driveshaft issue with mine, 13s, 175/50, 1.4E 2000 model.

You can expect a lot of cursing, and evasive driving. Worrying at times, scraping, wandering 'what's that noise..?', new noises, people saying it isn't low enough, scraping, damaging a fair bit of the underside, exhaust blowing, leaks, scraping, people saying that that's a wicked Polo mate, people asking how much you have lowered when it's different for every person and wheel, to get laid "Get Low Get Laid" ha, old people to look at you with disgust, people to look around when they hear you scraping, people to look at your car, people to laugh at your car "ha look at his tiny wheels", fat people to ruin your car, scrubbing, arch rubbing, crack bumper, drive bit slower, and scraping but who cares... Its lowered, Hell yeh.

There's what I have experienced. Now you can too.

Also no driveshaft issue with mine, 13s, 175/50, 1.4E 2000 model.

LOL Might like weld a skidplate along the WHOLE underside of the car LOL. SIMPLE!. and im hoping to get 14's maybe 13's. Duno lowering alot! and on a 1.4s 2003!. yeah everyone goes aww u got a POLO! ITS NOT A FFING POLO! Lol. my mates like i dont see the point in lowering cars makes it annoying over speed bumps!. (im already practising the 0.5mph cruising over speed bumps) lol :D guna love the look of it tbh!. But just guna be done in stages lowering first then rims.

Anyone got any advise on Coilies? Looking at maybe cheap ta technix, or AP's any reasons for and against? Cheers for the help guyss

If you can go for the APs. TAs get you low but are prine to seizing and the ride isnt supposed to be that good. APs go low and you still retain some ride comfort.

i was looking last night at the AP's and give its either a 70 or 90 mm drop is this more than adequate? for going Low!?. cause i dont want to get them and it remain like a jelly tractor!

The APs are brilliant well worth the extra cash I hated the ride of TAs

Might have to seee when i next get paid then! might have to get some AP's, only thing is, thinking if i sell the car their going with it :/ lol might just go cheap tho, only got the car for a few years id imagine :/

DarkStryder, i'm sure i saw your car at the Plymouth cruise last saturday.

My GTI was there! :)

I saw a wicked sick GTi and was like who the devil is that! I was parked next to the super sexy red astra van *facepalm*. BEP51 was parked opposite me in his Sport we came round and stood around your GTi for a while admiring it ha.

As for coilies, I got the cheapest option because for me it's just a 1.4E-sh*t so I didn't and don't really care about comfort. Gotta comfy bed waiting for me at home.