MPG for 1.4 sport 100hp?

mphgoose

Just out of curiosity what is everyone getting from their 1.4 sports? I only got just over 200 miles from my last tank and i really dont drive with a lead foot at all. I know these things have small fuel tanks but im sure i should be getting more? Anyway, what is everyone else getting?

Wow thats really surprising. Im glad i didnt go diesel though, i dont think id have been able to deal with the lack of performance on an sdi :P

Lupo Sports' aren't particularly economical, the GTI often out performs it on economy despite the larger capacity.

I found that, presumably because you don't have to work a GTi as hard (although the difference was marginal - one or two mpg - however, I always ran the GTi on V-Power where possible so that more than negated any benefit in terms of running cost).

Sports aren't that good on fuel if driven fast.

On a drive down to a show a year or two ago on the motorway, we'd all filled up before we left. Chris260 in his Sport asked us to slow down otherwise he'd have to stop and fill up, me and Foxy still had over half a tank left.

Putting high octane in ur cars does nothing, Unless ur car is designed to have a high octane fuel. Ie. Octane is spontanteous combustion point due to certain compression. so if your car is designed to have say 87 octane. Putting 97 in wont do anything different except burn later in the compression stoke, this can actually hamper it. Cause it will take longer to burn also. Its made for high compression cars like 350z i wudnt have imagined putting it ina GTI wud make any considerable difference unless u were running a big turbo

And the best MPG ive done in my 1.4s PIMP WAGON is like 50 MPH or something like 270 miles and light comes on, cant seem to match or better it tho recently :/

Edited by Blitzerman

I agree with Ben on the grounds that:

Lupo GTi's and Sports are programmed to run on 98 RON fuel (unless re-mapped obviously).

Therefore running them on normal 95 is actually performance hindering.

Edited by NOCK

Yeah, read the petrol flap and the manual of a Sport or GTI and it says 98 RON, or 95 RON with reduced performance. They have a knock sensor to detect when a lower octane fuel is used, retarding the ignition.

GTI compression ratio is 11.5:1, which is pretty high, isn't it?

Sports aren't that good on fuel if driven fast.

Chris260 in his Sport asked us to slow down otherwise he'd have to stop and fill up, me and Foxy still had over half a tank left.

Sounds familiar.

I disagree! My Arosa wouldnt run properly at all on standard fuel from the likes of supermarkets or BP. The engine light would come on and give a lambda fault and it would be extremely jerky. Ran it on Vpower or BP Ultimate constantly and never had any problems at all with it.

I also disagree, I find the lower quality fuel to make the engine very lumpy particularly when trying to pick the power up.

I've run mine on V-power and BP ultimate since I've had it and the 3-4 times I've had to put cheaper fuel in I've really noticed a difference.

MPG wise, I can happily get 270 miles from a tank if I drive like an absolute fanny.

Partly due to rolling around in 5th everywhere..and not slowing or changing down for roundabouts..

Give it a bit of juice 180-200 is normal.

My old 8v Arosa was amazing on fuel could get 300 to a tank bombing about (admittedly it was probably @ half the speed of the sport :lol:)

managed 370 from a tank on a run to Santa pod and back.

Edited by Jowey

Sounds familiar.

I also disagree, I find the lower quality fuel to make the engine very lumpy particularly when trying to pick the power up.

I've run mine on V-power and BP ultimate since I've had it and the 3-4 times I've had to put cheaper fuel in I've really noticed a difference.

MPG wise, I can happily get 270 miles from a tank if I drive like an absolute fanny.

Partly due to rolling around in 5th everywhere..and not slowing or changing down for roundabouts..

Give it a bit of juice 180-200 is normal.

My old 8v Arosa was amazing on fuel could get 300 to a tank bombing about (admittedly it was probably @ half the speed of the sport :lol:)

managed 370 from a tank on a run to Santa pod and back.

Nothing like bombing around like a nutter in an underpowered car just enjoying mile after mile of good mpg haha.

Judging by what people are saying i might try running it on high octane fuel sometime to see the performance difference.

And i was just giving an example No need to slate me about it jeeze!. For instance, If u went to germany they do something stupid lik 103 octane. So if u put that in ur car it wudnt make the blindest bit of difference whether it was that or 98. I was just making a point about Octane. So u need not always go stupid on the octance fuel levels. Yes some cars are advised to use it. Some arent. I ride a CBR and putting higher octane in it does Really nothing.... and tbh im guna feel the difference in the bike. it totally depends on which company the fuel has come from and what ur engines been run on from the beinning of its life. if ur used to super octance 100000000 whatever then putting in low octane will show a difference but its not the sorta difference thats guna cause u cars to feel ultimately rubbish. I think most of it is that u think its **** so its guna be ****. if i told u u had an oil leak, ud think ahh it feels more clunky and ud find something that seems wrong with it. just telling you wat ive been taught. Just like to see how many of u are actually mechanics?

Edited by Blitzerman

350Z Compression ratio - 10.3:1

Lupo GTI compression ratio - 11.5:1

And the GTI has how many cylinders? 4.... and its a 1.6

350z - 6 and its a 3.5

so GTI have to slightly higher due to need of outputted power.

And Diesels run at like 24:1 so why dont they have massively high octane fuel? and ur clearly guna go well they;ve got that new shell diesel. no Just no.

i dont think we're disagreeing with what you are saying, you do sound like you know what you are on about.

all we're saying is that we think our sports/gti run better on premium fuel

Fair comment, I do understand where u guys are coming from, as ive spoken to a lot of car drivers. (yeah so have you all, but i probs have spoken to a bigger range of car drivers as such) But having never driven a lupo GTI on high octane fuel i cudnt say yay or nay. But ive spoken to a guy with a GSXR, and he was saying he doesnt necessarily feel much more punch from his bike, it just does better MPG. Whereas i didnt feel much difference at all on HO fuel. But My cousin has a 500BHP Evo8. Whereas he swears by the HO fuel, And i used 350z as an example as my dads friend has one, and said hes advised to use it. obviously i havent driven very many cars, as my lupo is the first car on the road ive had. whereas ive ridden mopeds 125's motocross bikes and several 600's and i havent noticed huge difference in the fueling side of things. But yeah i can see where u lot are coming from HO fuel has a longer chain molecule for a longer more accurate burn lets say. so yeah wud result in smoother engine running on certain cars, for myself in my beastt wagon, i cant justify the X amount more it costs to fill up with the HO fuel. As i do drive about at like 50 in the car Lol :)

I disagree! My Arosa wouldnt run properly at all on standard fuel from the likes of supermarkets or BP. The engine light would come on and give a lambda fault and it would be extremely jerky. Ran it on Vpower or BP Ultimate constantly and never had any problems at all with it.

And Supermarket fuel, Everyone seems to think its so different somehow!? :S its really not. ive asked tesco about this (i work for them part time so yeah lol) and they get it from some other company like BP or Texaco whoever, they dont have like a huge tesco oil refinery, its no different to say a shell garage fuelling station.

And the GTI has how many cylinders? 4.... and its a 1.6

350z - 6 and its a 3.5

so GTI have to slightly higher due to need of outputted power.

You specifically said only high compression engines need Higher Octane fuel and gave the 350z as an example, I was merely pointing out that the GTI actually has a higher CR than the 350Z.

And Diesels run at like 24:1 so why dont they have massively high octane fuel? and ur clearly guna go well they;ve got that new shell diesel. no Just no.

What?

Diesels have higher compression as they use the heat generated from said compression to ignite the fuel.

Diesel fuels are measured using the Cetane rating, not Octane, so Im not sure what you are on about with your second point.

And Supermarket fuel, Everyone seems to think its so different somehow!? :S its really not. ive asked tesco about this (i work for them part time so yeah lol) and they get it from some other company like BP or Texaco whoever, they dont have like a huge tesco oil refinery, its no different to say a shell garage fuelling station.

The base fuel is the same yes, however the additive packs they add to the fuel are completely different.