Civic Duty or Interfering with Police Duty?

IDGM

BBC News Story

Was the codger reinforcing the ACPO guidelines that mobile cameras should be visible to road users, thus highlighting them to the hazard of speeding?

Or was he helping criminals get away with it?

Discuss.

I've never really understood why cameras should be visible, speed limits are clearly shown and if not assume it's a 30? On the other hand, being on the road is a different story, I'd be pissed if I got a ticket for speeding through the post and was none the wiser during the process. It's just another way for the government to rape as much money out of us as they possible can.

But then again, what do I know :D

Interesting verdict - I would have thought they needed to prove he knew the other cars were speeding in order to go forwards with this. Plus how did he even get caught?

As usual, there will be more to this than is in the article - I wonder if he was parked up around the corner flashing his lights and waving his arms about telling people to slow down or something.

Bang goes the Police theory that speed cameras are not a cash machine, but a road safety implement.

Surely if they are (as we keep being informed) for road safety, they should be applauding the man for giving up his time to assist them in making our roads safer.

I agree with Tom though, bet there's more to this.

in tyne and wear there are only ever 12 cameras working at any given time out of a total of 48, mobile camera van's we have 4 of them however they have 268 sites they can park and operate in, in my experiance these are usually on pavements /grass verges immediateley after a bend or over a slight hill. ****s.

I personally think he was a nice chap protecting people whilst the police went about their sneaky work.

I do agree that surely he must have done more to end up in court, his excuse made me chuckle though.

I have done it to warn others when the van is hidden etc or deliberately parked to catch people unawares.

I think its funny that he would have got less punishment for just flying through the speed trap that for warning others of it. Its a shame that such a ridiculous thing gets taken to court. Yet they let people caught with knifes etc. off on a caution!

Hmmmm British Justice!

Its a shame that such a ridiculous thing gets taken to court. Yet they let people caught with knifes etc. off on a caution!

You can only get a caution if you are willing to admit to the offence.

this is the uk way, run a girl down kill her n make off whilst being an illegal immigrant and basically your ok as we cant infringe upon your right's, however flash your lights to warn of some goverment/council/police money making camera and your screwed.

welcome to england and it's f'd up way's.

You can only get a caution if you are willing to admit to the offence.

my point was, a knife can kill. less likely a flash of headlights will, yet who gets taken to court and fined!

Im with you Mitchell! That story was disgusting!

I don't understand how him flashing his lights at oncoming cars is obstructing a constable in the execution of their duty. If he didn't physically block the road/camera then surely the officer is perfectly able to keep that road "safe". I know in the terms of the law you don't have to physically obstruct the constable but it's stretching the law, surely.

Saying that, my Dad is going to court next for driving a 'dangerous vehicle'. Why dangerous? It has 3 gauges (oil pressure, water temp and trans temp) on the bonnet just in front of the windscreen and they may hurt little Jonny if he runs him over. The nosecone,4ft of bonnet, wings and wingmirrors won't put a scratch on him though. I read the officers statement last night and some of it is just simply lies, a dreadful example of an Police work, who gives the rest of a very good Police force a bad name in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont get it at all!

Policewoman with speedgun, man flashes to warn people.

Fixed camera, speedcamera warning sign.

Whats the sodding difference there?

According to the police commissioners white paper on guidelines of mobile speed cameras, there is a reccomendation that mobile units operating in an area should display a 'speed camera' sign 1/4-1/2 mile from the unit in operation.

As is the case, this is never done as the local government (at least around my area) have put up these signs to speed up the instal time of these vans. Also, if it's a police chap with a hand gun he must be visible to oncoming traffic, yet I have seen them hide behind corners and behind bushes with thier vans being stowed away and out of sight.

I think that there is a massive change needed in how the police operate with mobile units. Hiding away doesn't keep people safe, it generates cash as is the case here where an old guy decided to flash oncoming cars (as we have all done) but because the copper on the day is bored or some for whatever reason he has taken action on this guy.

The government has set targets for the police force to meet as a whole and because of that you will find the law being bent to meet targets and to generally p1ss people off as a whole.