Bastuck full exhaust system

Golf+sezza

I've gone and done it and bought the full Bastuck exhaust system for my Lupo GTI! :lol:

Should have it here by the weekend... getting excited already, heard lots of good things about them.

The Loop's already been remapped and had a power run on the rollers, so can anyone suggest whether it now needs a panel filter/induction kit to suit the Bastuck system?

Cheers

Sezza :coffee:

Did you get the remap or a previous owner , surely if you got it done you would have waited to get the exhaust and filter before hand .

Cost implications mate - plus I don't think it really matters what order you do anyhow....you get there in the end eventually.

Just from a remap it went up from 136 to 143bhp B)

I think what Scotty is getting at is that if you had a custom remap carried out, on a rolling road you would have been much better off to get the exhaust fitted first as the remap is not going to be perfected to your new setup.

However if you had a generic remap carried out then there isn't much of an issue.

Thanks for the responses...

If it was a chip change rather than an ECU remap through the OBD port (because it's a 2001 model they couldn't do the latter) then does this come in the bracket of a generic or custom remap? I have asked the tuning company who did the chip change and they don't think it needs a rerun on the rollers after the exhaust fitting, but I'm likely to do it anyway out of curiosity, and to check everything's running as it should, mainly back pressure. :shades:

but I'm likely to do it anyway out of curiosity, and to check everything's running as it should, mainly back pressure. :shades:

Thats a myth. The only engines that need back pressure are 2 strokes.

Get them exhaust gasses out of that chamber as fast as possible!

Please get some vids up of the Bastuck when it's on! Have you gone the decat route too?

Also, how much was the chip and did it make any noticeable difference? Mines a 2001 as well you see! :)

Please get some vids up of the Bastuck when it's on! Have you gone the decat route too?

Also, how much was the chip and did it make any noticeable difference? Mines a 2001 as well you see! :)

Hi Cooper_GTI

I will definitely post up a video when it's fitted, I've watched a few on U-Tube fitted to the Lupo GTI and it does sound quite different...

As my car's a daily driver I've not gone for the straight through at the first section (which is actually cheaper but has no TUV approval) so front silencer there and rear silencer at the back box with 63mm DTM double tailpipes.

As for the chip, well when they put my car on the rollers for the first time it actually had 136bhp instead of the standard 125... so with the chip change 143bhp altogether. To be honest I can't remember how much it was to get it done, possibly £150?? Call AmD Essex and they'll give you a quote.

I'll be featuring the fitting of the Bastuck full system in a future project page section in Golf+... :D

Doesn't having no back pressure decrease torque though?

No, but having an exhaust with too large a diameter pipe will effectively shift the power way up top, making it nigh on unuseable. It's a trade off.

Bigger bore pipes shift the power band to the top, smaller bore pipes shift the power down the rev range. I think there is some confusion when people use the term "back pressure". The exhaust should be as free flowing as possible, but of a reasonable diameter to retain some low down power (perceived as torque).

Standard car with 10bhp over the book figures does seem a tad high , then to get 143bhp on just a remap again seems high , i think the rollers may have been a touch out???????????

It's not arrived yet, should have been today... so maybe it'll arrive early next week :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I only wanted to find out about what air filter/induction kit to use for my car with the system...so thanks to those who've responded. Seems this post has gone a bit off topic!!

BTW, 143bhp IS the recorded brakehorse power on AmD's rollers, Scotty_82. Perhaps I should be onto AmD tomorrow to tell them their rollers are out... :cheeky:

im tempted to get a bastuck for my arosa, except the fact that they are 380 quid!! or 500 odd from kam

i mite get a scorpion but they are only a 50.8mm bore whereas the bastuck is a 63mm. but scorpions cost 300 quid.

only thing is my de-cat section is about 50mm bore, and ive heard that if the bore changes in the exhaust then you can lose performance? in other words you should keep it the same all the way though?

;)

im tempted to get a bastuck for my arosa, except the fact that they are 380 quid!! or 500 odd from kam

i mite get a scorpion but they are only a 50.8mm bore whereas the bastuck is a 63mm. but scorpions cost 300 quid.

only thing is my de-cat section is about 50mm bore, and ive heard that if the bore changes in the exhaust then you can lose performance? in other words you should keep it the same all the way though?

You're exhaust will be as resrictive as the smallest part of the system. You would gain nothing from having a 63mm diameter, being as there is a bottle neck in the decat section.

This is why mandrel bent tubing is best, as the bends retain the original diameter and dont restrict flow as much as normally bent pipe, which shrinks by a few mill on every bend.

2" is more than enough for 100bhp.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

;)

You're exhaust will be as resrictive as the smallest part of the system. You would gain nothing from having a 63mm diameter, being as there is a bottle neck in the decat section.

This is why mandrel bent tubing is best, as the bends retain the original diameter and dont restrict flow as much as normally bent pipe, which shrinks by a few mill on every bend.

2" is more than enough for 100bhp.

ahh thought so, i should get more power again with a better system shouldnt i, like the scorpion, the decat definately made a good difference.

ahh thought so, i should get more power again with a better system shouldnt i, like the scorpion, the decat definately made a good difference.

i was runnin 110bhp with ashley racing manifold, decat, & custom cat back with a BMC, on a 2003 57000 miles Arosa sport, should give rough ideas of power gains.

Thats how it goes with small N/A engines i guess, unless you have the knowledge and time to turbo/supercharge yourself etc.

Yes, i agree, but in this instance it seems daft to spend that kind of money for 10bhp.

On my old C20XE redtop engine (150bhp), i fitted some reground cams (£165), then some weber 45's and a 4-1 manifold with decat. This got me 187bhp. That came to approximately £1000, but it was definitely worth it! In an 1993 astra, it ran a 14.4 @96! B)

Yes, i agree, but in this instance it seems daft to spend that kind of money for 10bhp.

On my old C20XE redtop engine (150bhp), i fitted some reground cams (£165), then some weber 45's and a 4-1 manifold with decat. This got me 187bhp. That came to approximately £1000, but it was definitely worth it! In an 1993 astra, it ran a 14.4 @96! B)

You can't use reground cams in this engine due to the rocker design, and you can't fit carbs either as they won't pass emission regs.

Tuning this type of engine is very expensive.

need to get mu car on a rr see what its got.

currently got de-cat pipe and bmc dia.

depends how good of an engine you got as well. like bens arosa was 120bhp with only an exhaust and panel filter??

mines got a full main dealer history, so its been looked after like.