Does a Lupo Gti have VVT?

Kent

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the VVT in the Lupo GTI performance enhancing, or is it just for start-up emissions, like the 1.8T's?

Also the other people who say VTEC is crap are the ones that drive cars that are actually powerful. :P

120bhp/litre NA isnt powerful?

Yes, nippy isnt a bad description.

It'll just pip most standard family cars. but as sson as you come up against something remotely quick (type r, astra gsi, impreza, VAG 1.8T, corolla t-sport etc) it gets blown away.

But then if you are going to compare a Lupo GTi to any of those cars then you have completely missed the point.

But then if you are going to compare a Lupo GTi to any of those cars then you have completely missed the point.

Not at all.

A VTS or a Cooper S would be in with a running against all of the above and surely that's a realistic comparison?

I'm just saying that the cars i have mentioned are what i class as quick. And a lupo GTI is far from that.

Not at all.

A VTS or a Cooper S would be in with a running against all of the above and surely that's a realistic comparison?

I'm just saying that the cars i have mentioned are what i class as quick. And a lupo GTI is far from that.

I think you'll find that a VTS does the same 0-60 as the Lupo, except it's built by monkeys, and falls apart after minutes as a result of that.

Don't get me started on those whining Rovers. We had a cooper for 2 months before getting rid of it. We test drove 5 or 6 cooper S's and they just weren't for us, the newer turbo was better than the old Supercharged engine but I couldn't live with the incredibly unergonomic interior.

As for your Type R, have fun with that fuel bill and insurance premium. An Astra GSi-well that's a Vauxhall so it's not even worth my time typing about. VAG 1.8T's are very nice, we've had 3 Audi TT 225's with this engine and it's lots of fun, however more thirsty and more expensive to insure than a Lupo GTi. A Subaru? Why would you even begin to try and compare a 4 Wheel Drive rally machine against a hot hatch. I believe a new Subaru is also over £10000 more to buy than the Lupo GTi was? Hardly a fair comparison right there. Don't know much about Corolla T-sports although I know they're dead boring to look at.

I don't want to sound like I'm ranting, but to me the Lupo GTi isn't in the same category as any of those cars.

Edited by NOCK

Type R's aint that bad on fuel imo.

Anyways at the end of the day you buy the car you can want/can afford. If you want something fast then you save up and go out and buy something fast or if you have knowledge do what the likes of Casper or many other members on here have done.

This is true mate, what do you get out yours mpg-wise then? As I've only ever looked at book figures.

I think you'll find that a VTS does the same 0-60 as the Lupo

I couldn't live with the incredibly unergonomic interior.

As for your Type R, have fun with that fuel bill

An Astra GSi-well that's a Vauxhall so it's not even worth my time typing about.

Don't know much about Corolla T-sports although I know they're dead boring to look at.

What are you getting at here?

You clearly dont care about outright performance, which is what really matters with these cars.

0 to 60 must be the worst way to determine a car's performance! Show me a Lupo that does a 15s dead quarter, cus a VTS will all day long, as will an Astra GSI/GTE and a Cooper S.

A lupo's quarter mile is 16-17 secs

All i was trying to say is, the Lupo is NOT a fast car!

Edited by Cooper_GTI

All i was trying to say is, the Lupo is NOT a fast car!

Which I agree with. However neither is a VTS. They are quick, not fast.

I just think you compared them to the wrong sorts of cars.

They are in the same sort of category as:

Ford Sportka, Saxo VTS, Fiesta ST (even though that has a 2.0L engine), Peugeot 106 GTi etc.

Not Impreza, Astra GSi, etc.

Edited by NOCK

Which I agree with. However neither is a VTS. They are quick, not fast.

I just think you compared them to the wrong sorts of cars.

They are in the same sort of category as:

Ford Sportka, Saxo VTS, Fiesta ST (even though that has a 2.0L engine), Peugeot 106 GTi etc.

Not Impreza, Astra GSi, etc.

A lightly fettled VTS/106 GTI is probably quicker than a KA, focus/fiesta ST and possibly a standard GSI.

A VTS, in the right hands is a very quick little car.

My mate has one, with stage 1 head, Jenvey bodies, catcams, race manifold, emerald ecu etc etc.

155bhp @ the wheels, ran a 13.6 quarter and beat an Evo FQ330!! B)

Now i'd class that as a pretty fast car! :D

But that's tuned, so completely irrelevant to NOCK's point.

Outright performance is not "all that matters with these cars". If that was all that mattered why not build a caterham or the like?

Cost, practicality, safety, fuel economy, insurance cost, reliability, depreciation, etc all play a major part in choosing a car.

I know I made the right choice buying a Lupo GTI.

It sounds like you didn't.

Oh yes, i know my mates is a wild machine, just thought i'd let you know what they're capable of.

Well i didnt buy the GTI because it's quick. I bought it for a cheap to run, nice looking, reliable car.

I've had fast cars, and found out the hard way that if you buy them cheap, they cost you money.

I'm now saving for an Evo 6, which is why the Lupo will do me for a year or so.

Although, a standard VTS vs standard GTI. VTS wins EVERY TIME!

Although, a standard VTS vs standard GTI. VTS wins EVERY TIME!

Until it breaks/falls apart maybe. If you like Saxo VTS's so much, why don't you own one? They are cheap to run and cheaper to buy in the first place too? Surely one of those would 'do you for a year' until you can buy an EVO 6?

If you think about why you actually decided that the Lupo GTi was a better option, you'll realise the point that I am trying to make.

Edited by NOCK

Until it breaks/falls apart maybe. If you like Saxo VTS's so much, why don't you own one? They are cheap to run and cheaper to buy in the first place too?

........this............ :coffee:

I've had a 106gti and it was a pretty good car, they're just getting on a bit now and they're dear for the age, especially considering who has owned them! :doh:

My current GTI is merely a stop gap till i can afford a proper performance car. It was the best looking and most well looked after car i could get for £3k, while still offering a degree of poke.

I don't care about being fast, but I love the GTI as an all round package.

...but I can't help agreeing with NOCK, if you were looking for a cheap stop gap until you can afford\find an Evo6, why did you buy what is most likely one of the most overpriced small cars on the market?

I would have thought a VTS would have much cheaper and easier to come across and definately easier to find spares for.

Oh well carry on.

:)

...you also have a thread open regarding a performance fault with your GTI, so unless you have driven another, how can you compare?

Had it in at VW yesterday, who said there was nothing wrong with it. It drives really nice.

Apparently they can all be juddery at certain rev ranges.

And suprisingly, they didnt charge me... :confused:

They didn't charge you because they are wrong.

All Lupo GTi's are juddery at certain rev ranges!?

You can't honestly believe that can you? I'm shocked that VW would say something like that to be honest.