Annoying throttle problem!!!

Mainly happens in lower gears when I'm sort of trying to keep a relatively low speed like when in a line of traffic and slowly moving along with it at like 10-15mph and the car starts to jerk back and forth unless you put your foot down to pick up the revs, but then you have to brake to stop you going up the arse of the car in front! My last couple of cars never had this trouble as they were sensor throttles, not cables, I didn't know if this has something to do with it. Anyone else had this problem and found a remedy for it??

It's really odd how some people rely far too much on the engine management problem lights and fault codes far too much, yet others when they have a serious issue or an engine management light on don't even think to get the car code read!

Upgrading your vehicles earthing system could potentially improve (reduce) the delay between your throttle pedal and the engine and can help to smooth out the throttle positions and drive.

It's really odd how some people rely far too much on the engine management problem lights and fault codes far too much, yet others when they have a serious issue or an engine management light on don't even think to get the car code read!

Upgrading your vehicles earthing system could potentially improve (reduce) the delay between your throttle pedal and the engine and can help to smooth out the throttle positions and drive.

Well I only mentioned the EML when Silver said about it possibly being a coil pack issue, would've thought it would bring it up on the dash, so I wouldn't think to look for fault codes unless the ECU told me there was a problem with the electronics.

Not being all that clued up on VWs and especially lupo's for all I knew it could be a slightly sticking throttle cable, a warped clutch, a clogged throttle valve, or anything like that. That's why I asked to see if anyone who is a heck of a lot wiser than I am on here could save me the hassle of going through every little thing before coming to a fault that could be a common occurrence to the loop.

But thanks regarding the earthing tip NFBR. Would you suggest a total overhaul of the earths or just the affected systems?

Haha yeah that must be it!! I'll have to tie it down to start with then! Atleast I have the comfort knowing its not just me!

My last couple of cars never had this trouble as they were sensor throttles, not cables

GTI's are Drive By Wire.

Mine does it when it's the engine's cold. It's annoying, but you get used to it.

Oh, and my girlfriend is from Boston, I'll keep an eye out for you next time we're down there. Generally see quite a few dubs, but they generally seem to be more "European" styled, for some reason... :lol:

Edited by Philplop

But thanks regarding the earthing tip NFBR. Would you suggest a total overhaul of the earths or just the affected systems?

That wasn't a dig by the way just an observation of something I've noticed.

As for the earthing, Start by getting a good earth from the battery across to your bulk head and see if it improves the 'throttle delay'.

I did this when I had my Suzuki Swift Sport (07). Someone told me it'd make a world of difference, I never believed them but gave it a go anyway - Worked like a Gem!

GTI's are Drive By Wire.

Mine does it when it's the engine's cold. It's annoying, but you get used to it.

Oh, and my girlfriend is from Boston, I'll keep an eye out for you next time we're down there. Generally see quite a few dubs, but they generally seem to be more "European" styled, for some reason... :lol:

Oh ok, thanks! Crikey she's moved out of the way abit!! And yes, we do appear to have quite a few of the eastern block in our area, only seen one nice example tho, the rest are left hooker heaps of pooh! To be honest I doubt you'll see me, I keep out the way of the town, if you drive past my house no doubt you'll see it tho!

Seem to have too many idiots here that think as you have a lowered car then you are somehow obligated to race them off the lights! This noob in a cupra r was sat by the side of me the other night, and one thing that jarred me off was his chav mate in the passenger seat turned his nose up at my wheels (cardinal sin) and then leaned over and said 'alright ked, how about we have abit of fun down the road?' to which I replied 'what do you take me for? you've not even bought me dinner yet!' followed by a confused look and an awkward silence, then he said 'so you wanna pitch my mates car against yours?', I said 'er no thanks, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that's a cupra r, so that's got a bigger engine, plus a blower strapped to the side of it, and although I love a good race every now and then I'm not gonna be so stupid as to do it in the middle of town with odds stacked way against me!' Ironically his mate then proceeded to bounce his engine off the limiter and then as the lights turned amber he bottled it and stalled. I took off calmly like normal and just raised my voice a tad as I pulled away saying 'FAIL'! Jackasses.

Oh and thanks NFBR, I'll look into that and see what I come up with, I know you weren't having a dig, it did come across like it at first but I just thought I'd make it clear that I just wanted to save abit of time fault finding, that's partly why I joined!

Cleaning and readjusting the throttle body made this problem far far less intrusive on mine, although it still does it occasionally before its fully warmed up. I find that the worst thing to do when it is kangarooing is put the more power down. Its normally at 3k+ revs so I just dip the clutch and change into a higher gear.