My previous car. MINI R56 JCW

R99

Hi all,

Well, as I said in my introduction thread. I used to own a JCW MINI. I miss it every day, but I'm learning to love the GTI and I have to keep reminiding myself that I sold the MINI in order to save money! :blush:

I owned it for just over a year, and I can honestly say it was an absolutely awesome car. However it also came with awesome running costs! :(

It was costing me the earth to run; and my 300 mile per week commute meant that I was starting to feel the pinch. So I had to take the painful decision to let it go. To give you an idea it was costing £300 per month on finance and between £250-£300 in fuel ALONE! That's before you take into account the cost of insurance, tyres, brakes & tax spread across the year. :blink:

I think I bought my dream car too young (I was 21 when I bought it) and I never realised the true running costs. So I intend to keep the Loop for 3 years or so and now I am finance free, save up until I can get myself something with similar power again. Golf R maybe?! :shades:

So, the MINI:

Exterior:

JCW Aero Kit (complete)

JCW Carbon Mirrors

JCW Carbon Boot Handle

JCW Carbon Rear Valance

JCW Side Scuttles

JCW brake ducts

MINI CHALLENGE front splitter

m7 Carbon Vortex bonnet scoop

MINI Spot Lamps x 2 (black)

Painted black headlamp rings

Painted black tail lamp rings

Painted black petrol filler cap

Flat black door handles

Black bonnet stripes

Interior

JCW Recaro Alcantara Seats & custom trimmed alcantara rear seats

JCW Alcantara Steering Wheel

JCW Carbon Dash

JCW Carbon Gear knob (Alcantara)

JCW Carbon Handbrake (Alcantara)

JCW Illuminating Door Sills

Custom trimmed lower alcantara dash

Custom trimmed alcantara driver & passenger arm rests

Anthracite Roof Lining

Auto-Dim Interior Mirror

Automatic Air Conditioning

Comfort Access

Panoramic Glass Sunroof

Rain Sensor & Lights On

Darkened Rear Glass

Dynamic Stability Control

Exterior Mirror Pack

Visibility Pack

Park Distance Control

Front Centre Arm Rest

Front Seat Heating

Heated Mirrors/Washer Jets

Multifunction for S/Wheel

In-Car Entertainment

HiFi Speaker System

Navigation

DAB Digital Radio

Bluetooth Telephone Prep

Under The Bonnet

John Cooper Works Stage 1 Kit, which consists of:

* Stainless sports exhaust

* ECU Remap

* Exhaust Manifold

* Larger air box with cylindrical filter

* Works badges front & rear (new style from Factory JCW)

* 193 bhp

* 185lbft (200lbft with overboost)

I improved things by adding the following:

* ITG cylindrical replacement foam air filter for the JCW Stage 1 air box

* Factory JCW stainless sports exhaust

* Forge intercooler hose (resonator delete)

Wheels, Tyres & Suspension

Factory sports suspension

JCW 18" R105 in gloss black

JCW 16" Sports Brakes

UniRoyal RainSport 2's

It was a mammoth spec, costing the original owner a hefty £33.5k. Thankfully though, the joys of deprecation meant I only paid £17k for it. :blink:

Anyway, so pictures and a couple of video's!

Pictures:

JCW1-1-1.jpg

th_DSC02796.jpg th_DSC02797.jpg th_DSC02791.jpg th_DSC02678.jpgth_jcw5.jpg th_1142x800loweredonly.jpg th_IMG_1405.jpg

th_21945_586738646732_284102064_558410.jpg

Video:

and....

Hope you like, as I say miss the bloody thing on a daily basis! The joy of being a petrol head I guess! :wub:

I can see the amount gone into it and its ok, but for me one mini looks much like the next no matter what colour/wheels/decals are on it etc.

Seats do look lovely though.

Sorry, but mini's just aren't my bag baby....

(maybe its because every mini i have ever been in has absolutely crippled my back after about an hours driving..and thats put me off them)

P.s. love the first photo though with the sweeping country road. :D

Edited by Whitedog

Loved the one i drove, feels like a proper driving car, and one feeling that you don't get with the Lupo, the feeling of moving that much weight fairly rapidly.

Thanks guys, it was awesome.

The Loop is a great car, but the handling really scares me sometimes on the same roads that the MINI used to eat up. I need a Whiteline ARB on it ASAP I think! :lol:

I love that photo too, I was going to dig out the DSLR today and take the GTI to the same spot, but got distracted with other things!

Small world!

James was the salesman I bought it off. I loved the car to bits, however as someone who must know MINI's pretty well, I'm sure you will agree they are not cheap to run in JCW form!

In 3-4 years I will either go back to MINI with a JCW Clubman slammed on coils and some BBS LM reps or a Golf R. :shades:

Edited by R99

Yeah they are very expensive. The JCW Clubmans are lush. The sound awesome aswell. Were currently running one as a demonstrator and it is amazing to drive.

Ive just sold my Lupo and bought a Corsa SRi and was shocked at the running costs of that lol.

gorgeous. Cooper s and JCW'S are such a good car to drive, the cornering potential is unbeliveable, very tight and responsive. I never used to like them myself,(was always a classic mini person, aswell as my dad) However after my mum buying a cooper s with JCW kit, id definatly think about saving up the green to buy one :blush: Such a solidly built car and the looks have definatly grown on me....has quite a nice stance as standard aswell :P

As you said im sure you regret selling it, but you could have done alt worse than buy a gti lol :wub:

Wouldnt mind a GP either lol

Pic of my mums DSCF3226-1.jpg

DSCF3224-4.jpg

mikey

my Jolly as you know i feel exactly the same, i'll have to upload that pic of my fucus RS and your JCW mini on here and we can cry together lol. The Lupo's will look far better side by side tho :D Your mini was lush and fluffin rapid, popped like nothing iv ever heard too! I thought the RS popped like a bitch till you took me out in it.

I remember reading a post on here a couple of years back that said the lupo's could be "adapted" to run the mini super-chargers something we may have to look into in the future!

Glad to see you on the forum pal

Awesome car! Can see why you miss it as I did things in a similar way to you - I had a 225 TT before my Lupo GTI, only had it a short time, fuel and insurance was expensive, would have cost a fortune to mod it, and I was always worried something would go wrong and cost me a fortune, so it had to go! I love the Lupo but at the same time really miss the luxury/spec/power of the TT, and just the general feeling of being in a coupe. That said, the Lupo is more fun to drive and throw about.

I looked at the mk1 JCW's before I bought the TT, they were few and far between though!