Fitting a cd player

bobcr

Hi

I just bought a 2002 1.0 Lupo today and its only got a cassette radio. Could anyone advise how I can upgrade this to a radio/cd ? Is there a cd unit available that would just plug in or will I have to change the radio for a newer cd model ?

thanks

Bob

single cd player

6 cd changer

If you look on the tape flap it'll tell you if you've a beta or a gamma radio. By default all non-gti's came with the beta, and the gti's came with a gamma.

There are multiple topics on here about the differences, basically the beta only has two channel audio - fronts only. The gamma does 4 channel, and can also have RCA output for amps, if you use a separate lead.

single cd player

6 cd changer

If you look on the tape flap it'll tell you if you've a beta or a gamma radio. By default all non-gti's came with the beta, and the gti's came with a gamma.

There are multiple topics on here about the differences, basically the beta only has two channel audio - fronts only. The gamma does 4 channel, and can also have RCA output for amps, if you use a separate lead.

Thanks for that. Does this mean I can easily fit either one of these type of units ? My car is a Lupo 1.0 E just a basic car. If I fit the cd player only do I just remove the shelf below the radio and will it plug in without any wiring change ? Does the same go if I bought the complete player with 6 cd changer/radio unit?>

Thanks

Bob

Hi snap I to have just got a 2002 1.0e pick it up on Tuesady I too want to fit a cd player, if I don't go down the vw head unit road ,is a after market unit a easyish fit ?also the speakers seem to not work so well at higher levels of volume(old rocker :rolleyes: ) so what speakers make a good replacment for them.

Thanks for that. Do you need to have the removal keys to get the radio out or can you do it without them ?

I use two laptop hard drive mountings, but you can use any slim piece of metal/plastic that fits down the slots. A cut up credit card is the usual favorite ;)

Got the vw single cd player, took out the radio no probs using cut up credit card, pushed the cd player lead in to the connector on the back of the radio, cd lights up, takes a cd and ejects, shows its playing and track number on radio display but no sound on the speakers, radio still works fine. Do I need an additional lead as there are two other sickets on the back of the cd player or to recode the radio ?

Cheers

Bob

Played about with it today and was just about to give up when I moved the cable coming out of the cd unit and it started to play, took the cd unit apart and the connector inside under the circuit board was half way out, pushed it back in with a dot of araldite to make sure it doesnt happen again and it works ! Only problem is if you turn off the ignition and take out the key the radio or cd keeps playing until you push the off button on the radio. Maybe this is because it needs the illumination lead ??

Looks like there is an earth and a light pin connection on this socket on the back of the cd unit. The cd front does light up though already with a red dot and red stripe. Nearly there hopefully !!

Mine doesn't have the illumination lead connected. I have had one for nearly three years, but am a lazy arse!

Gamma radio and CD turn off when I pull the key, and remember the last state when I put it in.

Hmmm...

The illumination lead just does the illumination and nothing else. Do you have any kind of extra ISO wiring harness? It could be caused by the 'red and yellow' wires being swapped.

Mine doesn't have the illumination lead connected. I have had one for nearly three years, but am a lazy arse!

Mine doesn't have one either. Where did you get the illumination lead from?

The illumination lead just does the illumination and nothing else. Do you have any kind of extra ISO wiring harness? It could be caused by the 'red and yellow' wires being swapped.

Mine doesn't have one either. Where did you get the illumination lead from?

I'll tell you for 99p...

I haven't fitted one in my Lupo, as of yet, but I always rated Sony CD Players. Cracking bits of kit. Mine is a beta (if I remember rightly, although I'll check) and there is a space underneath as it is double din. A Sony CD player slots in perfectly as I have already tried the one out of my previous car (From the crash) but it seems that the CD player was damaged as well (sadly).

Life goes on aye?

• 4 weeks later...

Alright mate, I have a CD player deck that just taken out of my car. were u located because if your local to me don't mind fitting it for you. Could have it for £20?

[/HI

My daughter has just got an 03 Lupo E SDi 1.7 and she only has the Tape player. If you still have that CD unit we live in Derbyshire. Will collect if you still offering?

I have exactly the same car except mine is an 02. I have purchased an indash 6 cd changer (VW) off ebay but the connectors are different?

Do you have any suggestions please?

I had a Vauxhall Frontera 2.3 D and when I drove my daughters car I just had to have one.

Wow, they are great.

Typical, I get to the party and they stop making then!

Cheers

David 07867867849

hi off the topic abit i just fitted a pioneer headunit in my car but my alarm light on the pin of the door has stoped flashin and when i turned my engine off and the lights still on it used to make a noise but is it just due to the wiring as i had to have an adaptor to fit the unit?

joe

• 3 years later...

hello ive just bought a pioneer cd player and it only goes in half way and gets stuck it seems its like a fraction to big and i dont wont to force it in is there a certain cd player im supposed to buy?

wow, talk about resurrecting an old topic. Is it single or double din? If it's single din, it might be the wires at the back blocking them, you need to feed them down the side.

Put your foot on it and give it a good shove :) ,

Seriously a Din fitting radio fits a Din hole, no mystery there , it's either the iso fix wiring catching up or the cage , if you are really struggling take the little cubby box out and shine a torch in , with some fiddling you can get the wiring up and over to the left where there is fair bit of space.

Edited by Bigplum

• 8 years later...

Hi does anyone know if the polo 2004 radio cassette cd player fits a lupo 1.4 2004 as they look the same am just worried if the wiring is different even those the radios are the same also need a security code for it but everywhere I try for help companies are asking for a fee I was told to go to my nearest VW DEALER but dont have the VIN just the serial number is all I have is there away round this to unblock the radio any suggests??

Edited by NNEW