Gearbox help! :(

I had first gear disappear on mine.. ÂŁ850 later, back on the road with all synch rings replaced, new clutch and a year's warranty. I was told if only 6th gear it is easier to fix as you only have to open up the side of the g/box to get to it.. could be lies of course.

My car dosn't go into 6th gear.

Would any of you have any idea why?

Maybe its got the 5speed gearbox on?

Please help! :(

Thankyou

Clairey...x

Will it go into 6th before you start the engine??

Its a 03 plate so should be 6 speed

Yep, I appreciate it should be a 6 speed, but this car was found in a scrapyard written off - there's not much information concerning its history. The simple ratio test would confirm that the box is original and is definitely worth doing imo.

(on the understanding that it's never gone in to 6th)

Yep, I appreciate it should be a 6 speed, but this car was found in a scrapyard written off - there's not much information concerning its history. The simple ratio test would confirm that the box is original and is definitely worth doing imo.

(on the understanding that it's never gone in to 6th)

the car does aprox 45-50mph at 2k revs in 5th. my bf thinks that the 6 speed box went pop and because there hard to find they put in the 5 speed instead.

Has this suddenly happened? As if it has been like that since you bought it, shouldnt you have fixed that instead of buying fancy HT leads and a new exhaust?

Do i sence Jelousy? if you havent got nothing constuctive to say dont say nothing at all! who said money was a problem? the car runs perfect just a case of having a 5 speed box and 6 speed nob and a nob writing comments like this that dont help awnser the question im asking :angry:

Do i sence Jelousy? if you havent got nothing constuctive to say dont say nothing at all! who said money was a problem? the car runs perfect just a case of having a 5 speed box and 6 speed nob and a nob writing comments like this that dont help awnser the question im asking :angry:

His comment was constructive to be honest. You'd be in a better position now I'd you'd looked at things which were actually an issue on the car rather than replacing like for like parts that probably didn't need to be changed!

I doubt he's jealous of your fifty quid leads...

No need for the name calling really is there?

I dont have unlimited funds to run my car, and I would assume neither do you. If it is a 6 'box, and one gear has disappeared, it could potentially be a very costly rebuild on the cards (I just had my Sport 'box rebuild and it wasnt cheap!) and was merely suggesting a rethink of your priorities with the car may be in order.

There's an awfull lot of work involved in fitting a five speed box into a six speed car.

there's extra lugs on the back of the engine for example & the pendulum mount wouldn't line up.

Chances are it's lost sixth.

There's an awfull lot of work involved in fitting a five speed box into a six speed car.

there's extra lugs on the back of the engine for example & the pendulum mount wouldn't line up.

Chances are it's lost sixth.

Fitted a Six speed box on a 5 Speed car... Bell housing fitment was identical, The Lower torque arm was identical on both cars and attached to the gearbox.

The differences were Cables and the shift lever in the car.

I never knew that, I'm currently working on a polo based project and the AVY in that doesn't have the holes on the back for a six speed box.

So in theory, creating the six speed polo GTi, i can essentially just use any lupo block. (I know the whole hydro clutch/cable shift issues/subframe)

That's good to know, cheers al.

And yes, I'm a bird. Haven't you read my signature on here? It's a little obvious that only a bird would write that kinda thing.

And yes, I'm a bird. Haven't you read my signature on here? It's a little obvious that only a bird would write that kinda thing.

Yes, but I could easilly write the same.

@Clairey... Sounds like a 5 speed box.

I never knew that, I'm currently working on a polo based project and the AVY in that doesn't have the holes on the back for a six speed box.

So in theory, creating the six speed polo GTi, i can essentially just use any lupo block. (I know the whole hydro clutch/cable shift issues/subframe)

That's good to know, cheers al.

The block on the Lupo's AVY was different to the block on the Polo's AVY.

The Lupo's 5 and 6 speed boxes share the same bell housing. The 6 speed box is simply a five speed with a sixth gear added for a laugh rather than a proper six speed box.

The Polo AVY's gearbox shares it's bell housing with the 1.4 16v engines (i.e. AUA, AUB, BBY etc.)

P.S. You're into Jailbait?

Edited by nfbr