Xenon headlights are great, but....

RossB

.... not so great when they go wrong :rolleyes: . So far I've paid just over £40 for a new bulb to find that it probably isn't the bulb that's gone, paid £25 diagnostic charge to try and find what needs replacing, to find that it's more than likely the ballast has gone. And the price for a new ballast from VW is.... wait for it....... £253 + VAT :o

So if anyone knows where I can get a working, used xenon headlight (drivers side) then please drop me a line :) , until then I'll just have to drive it with one headlight out :(

Yeah I'm tempted to ask if he's willing to split the two as obviously I only need the one... also there's the problem that he hasn't tried them out, so if I bought one and it didn't work I'd be gutted! :wacko:

they are amazing but it gets a bit tedious when people keep flashing you at night cus they think you got full beam on. Always makes me smile though when i subsequently do put full beam on and i take mental picture of their contorted faces. Brilliant

• Like 1

Yes they are great. I gave up on flashing back, as it seems to be the same cars every day...

£253 is for a complete unit though(basically) I need a OS one too before my MOT, had no luck finding one other than VW.

They are very fragile inside, so be very aware about buying second hand.

Edited by 99hjhm

they are amazing but it gets a bit tedious when people keep flashing you at night cus they think you got full beam on. Always makes me smile though when i subsequently do put full beam on and i take mental picture of their contorted faces. Brilliant

They are only great for the person with them, when your the person infront of you on a not so smooth road you get paranoid that you are flashing us all the time and if your coming towards us we can see **** all except your two headlights. Personally i dont see how they are legal.

I've never had anybody flash me for having my lights on.

Are you sure your lights are aligned correctly?

The only time other peoples Xenon's have bothered me is when a Bentley CGT was following me when I was driving the VX, which I was obviously very low in.

Back on topic, good job you didn't go straight to VW. They'd have charged you a fortune for a bulb and fitting and about £100 for diagnostics. Yeah, it's annoying that it's not simple, but if you want a car that's simple to fix, buy a simple car. Same as getting the aircon fixed would be more expensive than getting a blower fixed.

They are aligned fine its just their is such a clear cut off point with the light isn't there. On the very edge of the beam is the rainbow effect with the rest being white light. I can see on the back of the car in front of me the line of light and when on a crest or bump in the road it rises up and hits their rear view mirror, which they then think is you flashing them. Then when you overtake they put their full beams on. Exactly what matey said previously. Great if you have them shiit if you dont. I used to hate people with them when i had my sport but now i dont care cus i have the best xenons... Bi Xenons for uber bright light. When i get in my mrs' anchient polo i cant understand how she can drive at night, its like having two candles on the front of the car. lol

I remember when i had my sport i never really saw other lupos any where and then one day when i was driving home from work along a really straight road with loads of traffic coming the oposite way, with heavy rain and at night, out of all the cars one of the cars headlights were so beautiful and bright and colourful i thought "wow they are some dope lights" and as it went past i saw it was a Lupo Gti. I almost creamed my pants as i had never seen one before. Fantastic love em, and knew i would have to get one.

Suppose its just a case of being jealous of what you dont have, i dont have them but until i do i will hate them

Exactly lmao, that is what i was like. I rarely use full beam as they are so bright you dont really have to.

When my friend Alex and I both had Lupos, fast moving traffic at night was awesome, we could always see where each other were due to the amazing look of the headlights. One of the original GTi reviews commented that they were the best Xenons he'd ever experienced.

When my friend Alex and I both had Lupos, fast moving traffic at night was awesome, we could always see where each other were due to the amazing look of the headlights. One of the original GTi reviews commented that they were the best Xenons he'd ever experienced.

I believe the Evo mag rated the Lupo GTI as having the best Xenons.

For the record I've never had anyone flash me about my lights, just get alot of complaints from friends.

Same as above, When my friend is following me in his gti the headlights look amazing! I love stopping in traffic behind a clean car and seeing them.. how sad! :P

I get the odd person now and again flashing me for them, but then when you flash them back they regret it haha.

• 5 weeks later...

Since I made this topic, I bought the used set of xenon's from 'N8 KOW' in the classifieds on here. After waiting for what I think was almost a month for them to show up, and me thinking I'd just been scammed out of £180, they finally arrived just before Christmas. I was disappointed to find that they're in pretty shabby condition, most worryingly the projector unit on the one side freely moves around in its casing, not sure why!

I then found that the ballast unit on my original headlight was held in with anti-tamper torx bolts, which I didn't have a tool for. So this meant a trip to Halford's today, and another £17 spent on trying to fix this headlight! :(

So... I've just switched one of the ballasts over from the spare set, connected it back up, and guess what, still nothing :angry: . Whilst I was out there, I connected up the other spare headlight to see if that would work.... nope! Checked the fuses and they're all fine too.

Don't really know which way to turn now. The ballasts on the spare set aren't guaranteed to be working as N8 KOW never tested them he said, which is the only thing I can think is the problem still.

Sorry for the rant, just annoyed as I've spent close to £300 and I'm still not any nearer to fixing it than I was in the first place! :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...