17"s on a GTI ? Why does nobody do it ?

S3BOW

Tucked like above and they look good. Poked/flush with the arches doesn't look good. With Mark's being the exception. Although it shows you what colour can do....too big in silver, right in grey.

Although I think TT Comps on a GTI would look the mutts...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark2Ikeda's car with the 185/35/17's.

LupoEdition3820085.jpg

Holy Crap that is one sexy looking lupo. i mean whoa. that colour those wheels the lot. wow. wheres my bib

18's look absolutely gash.

There's a picture on here somewhere, just looks ridiculous.

Although Petar manages to just about to pull them off on his twin V6'd Lupo. But only because the brakes only just fit behind them!

Haha, yeah, there's no way you'd get it sitting like that with tyres! And if it was actually bolted to the hub...

I've got a photo of a Bentley wheel with the standard 275/40/19 tyre against my car. Almost reaches the bottom of the window. :lol:

Edited by Philplop

Personally, I think larger sized wheels on small cars are for people who feel the need to mention they have 17's or 18's etc rather than having a clue!

That's generally because they have no other ideas about what to do with the car in terms of styling it.

It's all to do with the size of the vehicle and knowing the upper and lower limits to which best suit it :thumbsup:

I'd agree that Mark2Ikeda's GTi pulls off the 17's perfectly, but that is one of very few exceptions to my above point!

Personally, I think larger sized wheels on small cars are for people who feel the need to mention they have 17's or 18's etc rather than having a clue!

That's generally because they have no other ideas about what to do with the car in terms of styling it.

It's all to do with the size of the vehicle and knowing the upper and lower limits to which best suit it :thumbsup:

I'd agree that Mark2Ikeda's GTi pulls off the 17's perfectly, but that is one of very few exceptions to my above point!

Quite an opinionated reply there . Could it not just be personal taste ? Why would you "feel the need" to mention you have 17s or 18s ? I think that 19s are quite common place in tuning / styling circles. Unless you are just talking of Lupos of course.

When I first bought my Gti I knew I had to have 17's. Ran them for over 4 years and 65,000 miles but they spoilt the handling (they were heavy and overwhelmed the dampers due to the unsprung weight) and I just could not get the car as low as I wanted. eventually I sold them and got some 16's which improved the car's handling immensely and I felt they car just looke so much better.

17's

2006-EDITION38-9.jpg

2005-EDITION38-4.jpg

16's

Image001.jpg

Those Lorinser's bad boys look ace on Phil's Gti, if only it was for real with tyres.

Yeah. Those 16s look better on there. Is it colour related though ? Would they have the same visual impact on a silver car like mine ? Take on board what you say about the effects of the weight of the 17s. What tyres did you run on them ?

Quite an opinionated reply there . Could it not just be personal taste ? Why would you "feel the need" to mention you have 17s or 18s ? I think that 19s are quite common place in tuning / styling circles. Unless you are just talking of Lupos of course.

No no don't get me wrong, 19's fit perfectly with larger cars, I meant with smaller cars such as the lupo and the polo.

That's what I meant about the knowing the upper and lower boundaries of what suits the car you drive, not just 'bigger is better' which seems to be the ethos for people who don't really know what they are doing! :)

I see your point yeah. The Kahns look big on there. Not sure I'd want that look. Looking at mark ikedas car, the 17s look too big on the car when it was silver but perfect when they were grey. Maybe that's because they were narrower though ? I'm starting to think maybe 16s the safest option.

I think GTI's can get away with some 17's but only as ppl have already said because of the larger arches/ bumpers and marks is a perfect example but 18's are a bit toooo big for my liking no matter what :s

:lol:

I would like to draw your attention to the photo above of the GTI on 17's with Lexus lights. :P

And do you not think it looked better when he put the Modernlines on?

As I said... looked fcuking ace on 17s.

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC01243.jpg