Tightening torques of the wheel bolts

whats the correct torque setting for the lupo ?

ive set mine at 120 Nm dose that sound right

what do you set yours at ??

sorry about the silly question. its just i snapped a wheel nut the weekend due to over tightening it :blush:

so picked up a torque wrench up today so hopefully no more snapped bolts :coffee:

thanks ryan

I honestly never bother torquing up wheel bolts... I've never broken a bolt and I normally just stand on the wheel brace until it doesn't move...

I know I should torque them but even if you torque them you should still check them within 20 miles anyway so I don't see much point personally!

I honestly never bother torquing up wheel bolts... I've never broken a bolt and I normally just stand on the wheel brace until it doesn't move...

I know I should torque them but even if you torque them you should still check them within 20 miles anyway so I don't see much point personally!

that what i used to do :D never saw the point of a torque wrench until the weekend when it snapped

i always check them after about 30 miles

It says 120 Nm in the handbook, which is what I use.

thanks jon ;)

I thought you weren't supposed to do them really tight? I tighten them with a rachet and then do the final nip up with a wheel brace, but don't put too much force on it.

I thought you weren't supposed to do them really tight? I tighten them with a rachet and then do the final nip up with a wheel brace, but don't put too much force on it.

Suppose you could feck the hub or wheel if you do them too tight. I do what you do and have never had a loose bolt when undoing them at a later date. :)

I do mine to 110 Nm, look on the inside of your petrol flap :).

Do this. Then a quick run out, then a quick check that they're all still torqued.

The standing on the wheel brace is all fine and well until:

- it slips off and you hurt yourself (or, worse, the car).

- the bolt head shears or its threads strip within the hub.

Edited by dxg

Yea I think I may invest in a torque wrench as I've managed to snap two of the buggers in about 2 years :(

Are you using standard VW nuts or aftermarket nuts?

Do you have arms like "The Incredible Hulk" or Popeye?!

Are you using standard VW nuts or aftermarket nuts?

Do you have arms like "The Incredible Hulk" or Popeye?!

yea there just stanard bolts that I've broken, both times the head's sheared off like right at the top of the thread. Luckily both times the garage managed to get them out so no rethreading was required! still a little worrying though :s

I thought I'd heard of him somewhere before :P

300px-mynamesbuck.jpg

Dam it you found me out, its no longer a secret :s

still though far to much time on ya hands :D lol!

yea there just stanard bolts that I've broken, both times the head's sheared off like right at the top of the thread. Luckily both times the garage managed to get them out so no rethreading was required! still a little worrying though :s

Dam it you found me out, its no longer a secret :s

still though far to much time on ya hands :D lol!

it wouldn't have taken so long if pshop hadn't crashed. must save things more often...