GTI Fuel Economy

spooks

Yeah I'd say I get about low 200's out of mine and I use it mainly for driving 4 miles to work and back, say driving 80 miles there and back to York once a wk and just general pimpin' round when I'm bored. As Captain Crusoe said its loads better on long runs. Think it only used three quarters of a tank when I went to pick the car up from Aldershot (am sure that it was well over 250 miles, including massive diversion through Leeds, during which I had a paddy and started crying cos I didn't know where I was going!! Hormones!!) :roll:

Get stocked up at Sainsbury's tho - 74.9p for unleaded and 79.9p for super unleaded!! Bargains galore! Just filled her up for 20 squids!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I find my performance really suffers If ive got the aircon on, you can tell the power drain if you switch it on whilst accelerating, really kicks when the a/c gets booted up.

only tend to use it once or twice a week though at the mo.

QUOTE(lupolady)
As Captain Crusoe said
twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> :oops: 8)

depends how you fill it up too, if you just fill till the pump clicks off you only get 3/4s of a tank, can dribble it in for at least another 5lrs and if you know you are going to use it you can press the button that is usually closed when the flap is shut which should make a vacuum sucking noise which is the expansion tank clearing so you can add even more then (make sure you are going to use it though and not leave it full as if will expand in the sun and have no where to go) but if you brim it I’ve had 340miles out of it before the light comes on whish is another gallon and should take you comfortably another 30miles or so.

Well, I use it every so often before long journeys, and I tend to keep it pressed after the clicks. It's not too difficult to get an extra fiver in, but like Crusoe says, DO NOT fill it up this far if you're not going to do a long journey straight away - you'll be putting the tank under strain.

I’ve had 340miles out of it before the light comes on

Okay, I want to know how you drive to get this figure?

`Extra-urban` consumption its possible to get 50.4 MPG (from vw website) and as its a 30 litre tank (I think tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />) that gives a theoretical value close to the 340 u say...

But, you must be Driving Miss Daisy to get that MPG!

And how can you drive a GTI politely & patiently at low revs for 340 miles?!

Wierdo's.... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I've had 270 when I drove it very carefully - long motorway journeys, seldom above 60mph. Only did it out of interest though - if I wanted an efficient car I'd have bought a diesel. I rarely run it dry, usually I fill up as soon as the petrol light comes on. I'm quite happy with the mileage I get from a tank (`160-220` miles depending on what I use it for), and it's not like it costs a lot to fill - my last car was a lot more thirsty and was only slightly faster.

I find aircon makes a huge performance hit on the GTI, but in my old Polo Mk5 (75bhp) it barely made any difference - and you could certainly notice a loss of performance in that! Don't know why though :?:

It's claimed that on motorway journeys, you use less fuel by having the aircon on than you do by having the windows/sunroof open (due to the increased drag) - don't know how true that is though.

I recon I could easily get that figure, but I just don't have the patience!!

I once got a figure of around 54MPG from my 1.8 20v Passat on a trip to Birmingham and back with the benefit of the trip computer! This was backed up with fuel consumption. Some people got a bit frustrated with me doing 50 on the motorway though...

i regularly do a 240 mile trip and i have not once, in any car been able to do the whole journey 'at a reasonable speed'......i usually do about 200 miles really relaxed then blast the last 40 or so.

drag from windows open? sounds reasonable.....although reminds me of tesco insurance saying lowering my car puts the premium up cos it makes it more aerodynamic.

My tinted windows didn't increase my premium - maybe because it makes it harder for theives to break in? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

(or maybe because my insurer doesn't charge for cosmetic mods...)

• 2 weeks later...

i used to get about 200 miles to a tank on average - i must be nuts wanting to get a new Loop! (my bug TDi does 550/600 miles to a tank!) and i have a round trip to work of 60 miles a day.......**** it - lets burn some optimax! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

sorry didnt reply to that!....its with NIG through Adrian Flux. & theyre not charging extra for coilovers!

my GTI's first full tank gave me 231 miles before the warning light came on (26.4 litres or optimax to fill back up). That was all running in driving, so lots of engine at idling, loads of traffic jams and some motorway (60mph) and town driving too.

Is that good or bad? Will it be a bit more efficient when its run in or less?