Pulling away

89james(FOX)

Hiya

Being hearing about its better on fuel economy to pull away in 2nd gear, but im not sure if its better than first, ive treid it and its smoother, and quicker to speed (obivsly due to it being in 2nd) but you have to give it more revs to pull away.

does anyone know anything about this some what urban myth ???

jay

not in a 1.2 fox, in a large engined auto or a powerful petrol then 2nd is fine as you don't want the burst of acceleration most of the time. Useful in the snow but not good for the clutch in your 1.2

1st is for pulling away...

Just make a quick up change... I don't think its a good idea to pull away in a car with little torque in anything but 1st.

Also putting you foot down in 2nd to stop the car stalling is probably using more fuel as there is more load on the engine?

Pulling away in 2nd will ruin your clutch, as you will be slipping it for the car to start to move. First is for pulling away, its better to use 2nd in the snow to avoid wheel spin, but everywhere else use first.

I do sometimes pull away in 2nd with the 1.0 arosa if in facing down hill, as the gear ratios are so close its easy to do, so id imagine a fox would be similar.

I cant see how setting off in 2nd would save you fuel, but it certainly wont save your clutch!

I got taught to pull away in second gear when starting off facing down a steep hill, but apart from that surely its common sense to use 1st?

If you're that worried then just do a quick change. Snowy hates being in first gear, so i litterally use it to pull off and move the length of the car max. before using second.

Thanks for clearing that up, just an urban myth,

Wel to fill my car from when the gauge hits the red costs me about £35 last's about 2 - 3 weeks with about 500 miles out of it,

So i Happy

is anyone getting about that mileage out of a full tank of fuel?

Nope... 250 out of my tank... ;) probaly 310 in the passat.. but thats a 4 speed auto! with seat warmers and climate! always on!

I wouldn't bother to be honest, just change into 2nd as quickly as is possible.

To be honest you're probably going to rev the car more in an attempt to not stall it therefore using more fuel. Also likely to wear your clutch out more in the process. Stick with using 1st but be frugal with it and don't blatt it off the line, you'll still keep the MPG high. :)

Gear ratio's in your Fox 1.2 are probably the same in my Polo 9N 1.2 although you have the 6V model and not the 12V model.

I've always believed that the petrol your car drinks is determined by how heavily you push down on the throttle. So changing gears earlier means you have to work the throttle harder to get up to speed thus using more petrol as your engine is at a low rev. You are driving a Petrol not a Diesel!

I tend to feather the throttle, allow the car to rev up to 3.5k revs in its own time, then I change up a gear. And once I'm up to speed then I'll shift into a higher gear for cruising at the speed limit.

If I was drivin a Diesel I would reverse my theory and shift up early.

Edited by Niche

Wel to fill my car from when the gauge hits the red costs me about £35 last's about 2 - 3 weeks with about 500 miles out of it,

Well if your wanting to save some ££££ i would buy a bike mpg are 1000000000000000 :D

MPG.... what the hell is that?! :lol:

If I don't drive like a hooligan with diving boots and behave like a granny behind the wheel I can get around 300 miles to a tank.

Normally I get around 250 though because my heavy right foot gets the better of me, at £25 to fill the tank who really cares though!!