people with fog lights

Paul R

I hate people who drive with their fog lights on - especially if they use them with sidelights not even full beam.

That said (and feel free to call me sad) I do look forward to having a genuine reason to switch mine on - somehow it makes me feel like I'm driving a better car than I really am - maybe I feel superior over lower spec cars who don't have them? I got a similar feeling when using my Xenon's in the GTI :wub:

Sad I know, but I'm sure I'm not the only one ?? :rolleyes:

lesser cars.....i like that...

i think a lot of people are just moronic and/or arrogant, fog lights should only go on really in visibilty less than 100m i think it is. i beleive people only do it for either pressence and looks or their just too plain thick to realise that fog lights do bugger all but light up the kerb!!!

fog lights should never be fitted because i dont know about you but when its foggy and i go on main beam i can actually see less, because you get more glare reflecting back at you from the moisture in the air.

i'm currently pulling mine off the car because theyre pointless, unecesary and theyre blocking a perfect cold air feed to the brakes.

rear fogs should be a crime, even if it is foggy,

why should it???

why do rear fogs seem pointless???

when your in busy ish traffic with minmul viewing distance, havin your rear lights on makes all the difference!

Edited by 2001gti

why should it???

when your in busy ish traffic with minmul viewing distance, havin your rear lights on makes all the difference!

If you're in busyish traffic then chances are there's a car about 2 feet behind you that you're blinding!

Rear fogs ought to be fitted only if the car has a rear proximity sensor to automatically switch them off when another car is behind. Plus, as said, the visibility needs to be absolutely horrific for them to be useful. Heavy rain (of the sort we get in this country anyway) is not even close to needing rear foglights - even taillights will penetrate several hundred metres in that weather, let alone brake lights.

Why do some folk put on there fog lights regardless of weather, light and other road users? I hate them, esp the 4X4's who are high enough that they don't need them. It seems to be the done thing at the mo, put fogs on regardless. If anyone does this could they please explain why

its one of the trade secrets ;)

unlocks an extra 20bhp from your motor :P

you didnt know? :o

I think fogs were designed when cars had such poor lights without electric alignment. I hit some thick fog yesterday and could only see 15 20 ft in front i put my fogs on to see if they would help but did sod all. Other cars coming towards me were easy to see with normal lights fogs didnt any better other than one van. rear fogs are good when its thick fog but not when the drivers are thick and put them on when its just slight mist.

If you're hit from behind while moving forwards or stationary, it's the TP vehicle fault for driving without attention, driving with excess speed and not braking in time to avoid a collision. I have yet to hear of a case where the car that was hit caused the accident by not having rear foglights on (I would like to be proved wrong on that though). That makes them pointless other than as a courtesy to other road users.

Edited by IDGM

they have worse winters in japan with monsoon's and fog and snow in the hills and they have no rear fogs as mentioned already.

that coming from one of the most technologically advanced superpowers on earth.

i see more rear fogs being used by incompatent middle lane driver's or the 'older' generation. both of which probably don't even know they have it on!

Rear fogs are a safety feature how the bloody hell can they be pointless?? Seeing the car that little bit better in heavy rain or fog, im sure will reduce the risk of accidents.

If rear fogs help avoid a shunt in poor visibility, why are they not required to be on all the time? I think rear end shunts are the biggest causes of claims and PI scrounging in the UK today, I'm sure Anna will be able to give proper stats.

The simple fact is that if you hit the rear of the car in front, you are to blame (unless that vehicle is reversing). You don't get brownie points or let off if the car you hit wasn't visible enough. That renders rear fog lights a useless waste of time even though we're obliged to have one.

I'd just like to add that because they are also the same wattage as a brake light, they can cause the following car to miss the warning of braking until the eye can separate the two sources of light in fog. IIRC the minimum distance between a brake light and a fog light is 100mm and in foggy weather, the haze from a bulb can mask another of equal colour and intensity and should be further condemnation for rear fogs.

Edited by IDGM

something which has been getting up my nose recently is the amount of drivers who have upgraded their headlights to HID's. i wouldnt mind but they can be seen driving with them on throughout the day (as per the foglight gang) regardless of the weather conditions etc.

all of which seem to be on mk4 golfs with rs4 wheels etc etc....... and a few others like old astras and stuff.

ive stopped using my headlighights in low visibility, i only use them when its pitch dark now. i dont want to be tarred with the same brush that i use on those.

:reallymad:

I drive with my headlights on ALL the time.

The way I see it is if they are on then I'm visable to other people so I should be easier to spot and be avoid, in the same way that motorbikes have their headlights on all the time, I don't have HID's though but I'm away to fit them, I'll still drive with them on all the time, not to show off but for the same reason as I drive with them on just now!

If you see a car with unwarranted fog light use, don't panic. The beam is cast low to avoid dazzle and reflection (hence the use in fog or poor visiblity from rain with low beam headlights) and shouldn't beam your eyes too much from ahead or from behind. Use your dimmer on the rearview or look off to the nearside slightly if the car is approching from ahead. Not too difficult to deal with is it?

See, there's the problem - the beam pattern for fog lights isn't checked at MOT time. Like you say they shouldn't beam in your eyes too much, but in reality they are often poorly designed/fitted and as there are no regular checks they can end up pointing anywhere. Looking away doesn't help much, since the eyes are actually more sensitive to light in the peripheral vision, not to mention that you won't be looking where you're going!

There are enough cars driving around with badly adjusted headlights, we don't need fog lights adding to the problem! Fog lights are only really good for the way they make the car look; there is hardly ever a need to actually turn them on!

• 2 weeks later...
I'd just like to add that because they are also the same wattage as a brake light, they can cause the following car to miss the warning of braking until the eye can separate the two sources of light in fog. IIRC the minimum distance between a brake light and a fog light is 100mm and in foggy weather, the haze from a bulb can mask another of equal colour and intensity and should be further condemnation for rear fogs.

Huzzah! Rear fogs do my head in. In pissing rain they just cause glare on your windscreen and they always make it harder to see the brake lights. People always forget to turn them off too after the weather has cleared up.

I think people just put them on whenever they see another car with them turned on, do they not think "I can still see that car miles in the distance fine, and it hasn't got it's foglight on, therefore I don't need my foglights"? Tossers. Never used my fogs in the 5 years I've been driving.

Oh, and my sisters boyfriend calls them Sport lights, because they make his car look sporty. :rolleyes: Keeps the front and rear ones on most of the time when it's dark.

I drive with my headlights on ALL the time.

The way I see it is if they are on then I'm visable to other people so I should be easier to spot and be avoid, in the same way that motorbikes have their headlights on all the time, I don't have HID's though but I'm away to fit them, I'll still drive with them on all the time, not to show off but for the same reason as I drive with them on just now!

Same, when I'm driving my van I have my lights on all the time, people move out of your way quicker! Which is good when I'm in a rush! :lol:

When I'm in the car I keep my lights on, for the same reason. We also do it in convoy so you can see each other on the motorway easier... sounds daft but it works... the convoys I end up in are normally pretty manic!

I think fog lights should be renamed "cock" lights!!

I've had an Astra with front fogs on it for the past week, every time I've seen a car coming towards me with its fogs on I've whacked the front fogs on and fired up the full beam!

Sadly though the Astra has gone now, I've been landed with the worst Fiesta I've seen in my entire life and it doesn't have front fogs... full beam still works though ;)

I've been landed with the worst Fiesta I've seen in my entire life and it doesn't have front fogs... full beam still works though ;)

Nothing wrong with boggo Fiestas, I've got one!

i just had a saxo vtr with its fog lights on and its side lights but the dirty chav had made them blue so it just looked stupid!

:reallymad:

If they want 'cool' lights why dont they just buy a rally light pod and put 4 massive hellas in it?

rant over LOL