Smiling All The Way To The Bank?

Clairey Fairy

The scene is very confusing. Having a nice car makes you amazing. Doing it yourself gives you huge respect and scene points. Pay someone to help you/do it for you and suddenly the world seems to divide. People slate chequebook cars quite heavily, and yet as soon as you announce that a 1.8t has magically landed in your engine bay, or a charger has just sprung out of nowhere - people still brown nose you till they're wearing you as a hat :huh:

Where do you guys stand on this?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love how you worded it. but i couldnt care less, if you have paid for something you want on your car then its still there. it doesnt matter wether or not you do it yourself, its still the same car. half the logbook doesnt go to the person who did the conversion.

I can't really slate chequebook cars cos I am the same, I don't do any work on my car. What I do instead is research as much as I can so I can to the guys who do build my car and explain properly what I want and fully understand what they are doing.

What I find funny is how much people pay for these jobs, some of which are poor quality, or just not done properly, some of which have been cars on here and had a lot of un-warranted praise.

at the end of the day people who slate chequebook cars clearly dont understand that not everyone is mechanically minded or has a unit free where they can work on their car as a side project whilst they drive another car as a daily driver!

Do what you can, and pay for the rest.

It is good to have a knowledge about whats been done, and not just power talk. I feel thats what makes the difference between an enthusiast and a someone who just drives cars. :shades:

Claire - Coming from one of the stupidest people on this forum, that's probably one of the Cleverest things anyone has ever said on this here...

I hate the whole "Scene respect" thing...

Yeah fair enough anyone who'se made stuff out of nothing and welded two things together to make something totally radical deserves a whole chunk of respect.

People who do "Credit Card Car's" Deserve respect for planning, but not really any respect for imagination.

People who are just loaded and send a car off to someone with a maximum budget and no real input - They deserve respect for getting themselves to the point where they can afford to do that. But you can't really respect them for their cars.

In the end though - As long as someone puts effort into how their car is, Even if its just cleaning it every weekend and keeping it regularly serviced deserves respect because not a lot of people out there can look after cars as well as most the guys on here do, regardless of where their mods or the money for their mods comes from.

Edited by nfbr

I think it all completely depends on the owners personal circumstances. I know full well that if i was to ever have a half decent lupo id have to have a serious argument with HSBC :lol:

Surely having a project is all about getting your hands dirty, getting to know your car, blood sweat and tears the lot. Personally id rather do it myself or die trying than pay my way onto the pages of PVW.

In my opinion DIY or dont do it, I'm not saying that cheque book cars are wrong but at the end of the day there is something far more satisfying about having changed this part yourself or making that look different to everyone elses car on your own, why pay someone to do something which with a bit of research and sometimes a pair of guiding hands you can do yourself?

In the end of the day, youve got a severe ammount of balls to spend alot of money on a car anyway. It dosent really matter if you paid for it to be done or did it yourself, the only benefit is that if it goes wrong the DIY person would know how to fix it and can get the job doen for less normally.

Thats really the only difference.

John

Surely having a project is all about getting your hands dirty, getting to know your car, blood sweat and tears the lot. Personally id rather do it myself or die trying than pay my way onto the pages of PVW.

Not everyone can get their hands dirty, or doesn't want to. I don't have the ability or know how to fix my car, I'd rather leave it to the experts and make sure it's done properly.

I'm not paying people to get my car into PVW, I have no interest in that... it's ****ing sad if that's the case for anyone. I'm paying these people to build a car I've always wanted. I'm not fussed if people don't like it, I'm hoping people don't like it, preferably the owners of even more Megane 225's when I whoop them even more spectacularly!

The "scene" is a joke. People build cars for respekt, and love the bumming they receive. People can build a **** car but cos they're part of a well known club they get praise... the VW "scene" is full of pricks!

yeah fair enough treblet but my point is, majority of people dont just have an empty unit and all the tools to do the jobs

You dont need a load of tools or an empty unit to work in, all you really need to do the most common mods is a socket & spanner set, a jack, axel stands, pry bars, screwdrivers and thats about it. In total probably only about £100 - 150 worth of tools.

I'm lucky that my neighbour has a huge garage I can work in but that said ive done a lot of my mods with my car just sitting on the drive...

Theres people who have done engine swaps and engine rebuilds on their driveway so masses of space isnt nessecary either!

I do everything I can on my car, actually I think I have done everything other than changing the clutch and servicing. But I wouldn't attempt bodywork or paint.

But I don't have anything against people spending money on getting somebody else to do it. We got a garage to fit the coilovers on the Audi because they're a lot more difficult to do than Lupo coiles, and my Dad was scared of taking it to bits, getting stuck and then getting told off by my Mam. :lol: People have different circumstances and I know if I was working full time I'd struggle to find time to do things to the car and have to get somebody else to do it. And it's all well and good to say that it's easy to fit coilovers yourself, I've said it myself, but if didn't have my Dads 30-year collection of tools, a driveway, a garage and another car to use if I don't get the job finished I'd be buggered.

Seeing as this is about "The Scene ", Edition winds me up a bit. I've seen Readers Ride threads get to 6 pages without any pictures at all, and there's one on there at the minute that's a standard car on coilies and wheels that's over 30 pages. I started a thread for mine, with all the varying looks it's had, and it's at two pages. Even with the scene-points Audi on Bentleys in there too.

Not that I can whinge too much, as I never comment on the other Readers Ride threads. :rolleyes:

Edited by Philplop

im with phil on the 'scene' ****. working full time and not having a driveway is the reason i pay someone else to do my car, not so i can get it into PVW. i always think the cars in PVW and winners at edition aren't as good as some of the other cars that the 'scene' has to offer its all about who you know!

Course not, I don't modify it to impress people on forums. I modify to impress my mates.

:lol: Joking. I do it for me, of course! But it's nice to hear other people give compliments about your car.

Yeah obviously its nice to hear someone say your car looks nice but like you say Phil, its for yourself at the end of the day.

Some people dont even understand why we modify cars and why we spend money on something which in their eyes is a "perfectly good car"

I try and do as much as I can but I know my limits and won't do something just for the sake of doing it. Especially if its a serious part of he car, like if its messing about with trim its fine. If your messing about with fuel lines and you don't know what your doing then its a bit foolish! Even if I'm not doing the work I'm usually there looking at how its done so I can give it a bash.

I think doing the work yourself will always be more respectable in the eyes of others. Its harder to create something yourself than it is to pay for someone to create it. I was a lot more egar to get on with stuff on my Polo cause it owed me £250 all in. Worst come to worst I could take all my bits off and it would stand me £50. So never really fussed, Lupo owes me more so when I'm not sure I don't just dive in with it.

I think cheque book cars deserve respect in a fashion. At the end of the day you have to work hard at some point to get the money to build the car. It may not be working hard on the car, but whatever you do for a living you'll have to do to pay the bills for your car. But its still not the same as sitting in a cold unit at 2AM with a bare shell of a car that has to be done in a couple of days and get 300 miles down south for a show.

"Seeing as this is about "The Scene â„¢", Edition winds me up a bit. I've seen Readers Ride threads get to 6 pages without any pictures at all, and there's one on there at the minute that's a standard car on coilies and wheels that's over 30 pages. I started a thread for mine, with all the varying looks it's had, and it's at two pages. Even with the scene-points Audi on Bentleys in there too."

Yeah thats to true. If your not a scene celebrity seems like no one gives a crap what you do!

I've got to be honest, I don't get this whole "scene" nonsense anyway and I'm very sorry if I offend people with that statement.

When I did my Lupo up, I guess you could say I sent it to the garage and threw a couple of grand at it. But, I chose the bodykit, with the garage's help I chose the colour (cos flicking through reams and reams of colours you lose your marbles a bit). It was my decision what went on the car though. If I had known people who could have done a "proper" job on things at the time in your own back yard then I would have.

The reasons for doing it weren't to get in any magazines. It was for my own personal satisfaction to have something different, something I could be proud of, and I guess to show off a little. But who doesn't want that? Driving other cars now just doesn't compare. Yes I miss the looks, yes I miss people taking photos of it left right and centre.

I guess however with the whole car scene these days it would be ridiculed - in the vw world anyway - as yes, shock horror, it had a bodykit.

But I loved it, and so did a lot of other people.

to be fair, and i think this should be said properly

'if us guys on here were modifying our cars to impress anybody other than ourselves surely we wouldnt have lupo's'?

everyone takes piss out of my 'postman pat's van/rollerskate/toybox' i like it cause its individual and its very me

'if us guys on here were modifying our cars to impress anybody other than ourselves surely we wouldnt have lupo's'?

A lot of people say they modify there cars for themselves but look at how many threads there are of people basically saying "do you approve of this" it makes you wonder. If they like something and want to put it on there car why would they ask for opinions? Wouldn't you just go ahead and do it. Or photoshop it onto your car and do it. Not ask people if it looks good or not cause surely if your building it for yourself then screw what other people think and go with it.

In a way the bodykitted up big wheeled things are more of a statement of "**** the lot of you, I like bodykits deal with it" kind of statement. Cause its quite obvious that bodykits "aren't acceptable" as such in the Volkswagen scene.

I genuinely dislike bodykits. But I also dislike overly smooth cars. Guess I just like boring OEM stuff :lol: